Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 05:22 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Not as a "fairy tale".
As an allegorical story.

Debating the literal veracity of the Flood account is as about as useful as debating the literal veracity of the Creation account.
Only people that have such a poor grip on their emotions that it bothers them sooooooo much that there are many people of the belief that it is literally true, would spend the precious minutes of their life getting all technical & academic and analyzing it every which way in their debating about it with Religious Fundamentalist strangers on the Internet.
Keep pounding that sand and spitting into the wind!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Nice try, but it has nothing to do with not having a handle on our emotions, LOL. That's certainly the easier thing to believe, I'll give it that. I'm not sure easier is always better, though. JMO.

By the way, GR, you're spending the precious moments of your life arsin' around on some internet forum, too. Just thought you might want to know that, since you've been kind enough to point the finger at, er, show concern for the rest of us "wasting" our time.
Yes. You nailed it, and Gldnrule is rather a waste of posting space, because he contributes nothing useful to the debate and his views are irrelevant and unimportant. The point of his posts is merely to sneer at atheism or more, perhaps, at atheists. Let him. It harms him more than it harms us.

P.s I was going to add "At one time I was a bit curious as to why he has such a need for ongoing atheist -bashing, but then I thought "Who cares?"

Which is, of course the answer to this post of his:

Quote:
Nah...it's Saturday night. So, guess where I am?
At the club, of course. The usual deal.
Here anyway...at the computer anyway. I was waiting for Paula Coles' "Feelin' Love" (I've always dug that song...check it out) to finish...and figured I would click over here to plague you.
My time here is not typically proprietary. I don’t assume it is that way with most. I'm working, making money. The "lag time" occurs. I've explained this a jillion times before.
I guess I could be going over photo edits, or work on an ad or sumthin instead. But, I like you better, Kiddo.
Is this what it's all about? A childish need to make himself feel important by posting about his mediochre and pointless life? Right from his early sorta- atheist days, he fed his vanity by being needling and impudent. If he dropped this idiotic 'Godfaith -based -on -misuse of dictionary definitions' and supported us in removing religion from society (even if he still believed in a "god") he might be contributing to something that I think could well go down in the history books as the time the human race grew up.

"...ad or sumthin instead..."

I can't resist it. And will risk the ire of the Mods by naming Arach again - he exhibits (at need) the same irritating corncob chewin hick superiority style "Hey, suck ma britches, boyee, Ah may be semi -ejukatid sodbuster, but Ahm tellin' yew - Ah'm shore smarter than yew are, yes siree..."

And of course they are both smarter and better educated than it sometimes appears, and it is a sort of posting body -language that is an assumption of innate superiority while avoiding serious and educated discussion. Goldie is intense but coolly analytical when he argues on law and constitution, even if he is actually wrong.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-24-2016 at 05:45 AM..

Old 07-24-2016, 05:49 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. You nailed it, and Gldnrule is rather a waste of posting space, because he contributes nothing useful to the debate and his views are irrelevant and unimportant. The point of his posts is merely to sneer at atheism or more, perhaps, at atheists. Let him. It harms him more than it harms us.

P.s I was going to add "At one time I was a bit curious as to why he has such a need for ongoing atheist -bashing, but then I thought "Who cares?"

Which is, of course the answer to this post of his:

Is this what it's all about? A childish need to make himself feel important by posting about his mediochre and pointless life? Right from his early sorta- atheist days, he fed his vanity by being needling and impudent. If he dropped this idiotic 'Godfaith -based -on -misuse of dictionary definitions' and supported us in removing religion from society (even if he still believed in a "god") he might be contributing to something that I think could well go down in the history books as the time the human race grew up.
Nah....just passin some gaps in action by hittin up this board.
Like most...my life certainly is insignificant in the "Grand Scheme"...that is true. But that doesn't bother me a bit...I just try to be happy and contented. So far, so good.
You should try it sometime.
Maybe a visit to the Ark would help you!

Old 07-24-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Eusebius, why did Ham lie/sin with the names of noah's kids wives?

Does the bible tell the names? Ken Ham knows their names... What gives?

Think anything else is made up about the ark park or only this lie?

Pooh-Bah. 'Merely corroborative detail, intended to give artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative.'
Pitti-Sing. 'Corroborative detail indeed! Corroborative fiddlesticks!' (W. S Gilbert "The Mikado")

Old 07-24-2016, 06:41 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well yes, you're a wierdo but probably not for that reason. We'll see how you feel when you are living under a theocracy such as the Taliban or ISIS...because that is what is coming if you don't spend the 'precious minutes of your life' fighting against it. One thing for sure is that you certainly won't be running any 'strip club'.
ISIS wouldn't last more than a few months if this world had some leaders with the proper attitude and convictions.
You have to fight them...hard, and with a goal to win. They really aren't such a much as far as a military entity...not relative to what exists militarily in this world. They would be pretty easy to clean up.
Mocking and insulting them is not "fighting" them. That just gets you what the Hebdo people got...if you take it far enough.
And anybody that thinks posting to this board is "fighting" Religion, is completely clueless about that.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:16 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
Quote:
No he doesn't! He doesn't believe in it any more than you or I. He's a POE. A very good one but a POE nevertheless.
"I didn't realize we were playing host to the best pilot in the Resistance!"

Old 07-24-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
ISIS wouldn't last more than a few months if this world had some leaders with the proper attitude and convictions.
You have to fight them...hard, and with a goal to win. They really aren't such a much as far as a military entity...not relative to what exists militarily in this world. They would be pretty easy to clean up.
Mocking and insulting them is not "fighting" them. That just gets you what the Hebdo people got...if you take it far enough.
And anybody that thinks posting to this board is "fighting" Religion, is completely clueless about that.
Occasionally you do raise some thought -provoking point-which is why there is only one individual on my 'Don't bother' list. Well, I don't include those who simply post Religious vapourings. The pushback on religion is what I am really posting about, or I don't get my productivity pay upped from the central committee of Global atheism (which already allocates most of its budget in bribing scientists to pretend that they believe in evolution, when they actually know that cats cannot come from dogs).

The implied suggestion that we carpet bomb these lice on the backs of humanity has a kneejerk appeal, but the heavy hand has been seen not to work; neither in Iraq nor in Vietnam. It did work in Borneo, and maybe the thing could be done if the Right Method could be found. But I fear that ANY involvement by the west is going to be counter -productive. Though I suppose handy airstrikes would be grudgingly appreciated. We got scant thanks for spending time and money in helping Libya to free itself from the execrable Gadaffi, but the results are just about worth the effort.

Oddly though, I have some indications that the Real threat to Islamic fundamentalism is from beneath - a silent (for fear of their lives) majority who doubt, and that is what they tell us when they dare to talk to atheists in the West. A war has to be won with guns, and that is what will do for IS. But the Islamic fundamentalist worldview will be done for by public opinion. If it ever gets to that.

And then we can get busy on China and Russia.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
"I didn't realize we were playing host to the best pilot in the Resistance!"
Worth a squadron of Eurofighters to us.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:10 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
Eusebius believes in magic and the complete power of God to do ANYTHING.
Quote:
No he doesn't! He doesn't believe in it any more than you or I. He's a POE. A very good one but a POE nevertheless.
I don't believe God uses magic. I do believe however that God, Who created everything is fully capable of having Noah build a viable ark to save his family and the animals.

Quote:
Hey fella! You forgot me.
Post 1249 starting....

'No. Your flood is dated to ~2300 BCE...'
I'll check that out when I have time.

The good thing about Ken Ham's Ark display is it lets people see in real life just how huge Noah's ark was and how easy it was for Noah to fit his family and animals on that ark to save them.
+++++++++++++++
Okay I just checked post 1249.

I will repost what I stated:

Originally Posted by Eusebius
"Most were built as tombs for the country's pharaohs and their consorts during the Old and Middle Kingdom periods. The earliest known Egyptian pyramids are found at Saqqara, northwest of Memphis. The earliest among these is the Pyramid of Djoser (constructed 2630 BC2611 BC) which was built during the third dynasty." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramids

Noah's flood occurred around 3,000 BC.

I stand by that. Since Adam and Eve were created by God (not by evolution) approximately 6,000 years ago and since Noah was almost 1000 years old when the flood came, we know there has to be approximately 3000 years between the flood and when Christ, the Saviour of all mankind, came. We are roughly 2,000 years after Christ which totals 6,000 years. Therefore, the flood occurred in approximately 3,000 B.C.

Last edited by Eusebius; 07-24-2016 at 11:21 AM..

Old 07-24-2016, 11:56 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

I will repost what I stated:

Originally Posted by Eusebius
"Most were built as tombs for the country's pharaohs and their consorts during the Old and Middle Kingdom periods. The earliest known Egyptian pyramids are found at Saqqara, northwest of Memphis. The earliest among these is the Pyramid of Djoser (constructed 2630 BC2611 BC) which was built during the third dynasty." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_pyramids

Noah's flood occurred around 3,000 BC.

I stand by that. Since Adam and Eve were created by God (not by evolution) approximately 6,000 years ago and since Noah was almost 1000 years old when the flood came, we know there has to be approximately 3000 years between the flood and when Christ, the Saviour of all mankind, came. We are roughly 2,000 years after Christ which totals 6,000 years. Therefore, the flood occurred in approximately 3,000 B.C.
Of course you stand by it. To do otherwise would mean you would have to concede that you are wrong and you just don't have the intellectual honesty to do that.. According to your Bible chronology AND two creationist websites, one of which you consistently put forward when trying to prove your beliefs, Noah's flood occurred ~2300. That means that the pyramid of Djoser was built 300 years before the alleged flood and the pyramids in Brazil were built some 700 years before the alleged flood. Coupled with that we have a verifiable, unbroken record of Egyptian Pharaohs and Queens right through the alleged flood period.We can trace recorded Egyptian Pharaohs from the Early Dynastic Period of 3100 - 2686 BCE right through to the Middle Kingdom of 2055 - 1650 BCE and we can trace neolithic Egyptian society along the Nile back as far as about 3600 BCE. ...and not a single scrap of evidence to show that they were all wiped out in a global flood.

Your hypocrisy in consistently using AiG when you think it proves your case and then rejecting it when it proves you wrong is simply intellectual bankruptcy....but we are used to that with you of course. Your favourite creation websites and the chronology of what you love to call the 'historic records' say that you are wrong and that the alleged flood was ~2300.

Here's another...

If our Bible is true when it tells us Noah's flood was a real and global event that, according to the Biblical chronology, happened about 2,345 B.C.
The Greenland Ice Sheet: What it Reveals about Noah's flood

Here's another creationist site that you are VERY fond of quoting for your 'truth. ICR says that the flood...

Occurred about 2000 B.C.
Can the Redwoods Date the Flood? | The Institute for Creation Research

Flood and Creation Dating the oldest Bristlecone pines now living quite possibly have been growing since right after the flood. With "Methuselah" going back to around 2600 B.C. according to Dr. Ferguson, this becomes a very real possibility. The actual date may be adjusted for extremely wet years which occurred in the past, as shown by the numerous dry lakes in the desert regions of eastern California and Nevada. Experiments show the trees can grow more than one ring in unusual seasons.6 Some experiments have even suggested that many periods of time could have been characterized by the growth of one extra ring every one to four years, with evidence in controlled laboratory situations showing extra ring growth tied to short drought periods.12 These varied conditions could allow a slightly more recent date which may even closely match Ussher's date of 2350 B.C.
Tree Rings and Biblical Chronology | The Institute for Creation Research

Deny it all you want Edgar...but let's face it. You're busted son.

Last edited by Rafius; 07-24-2016 at 12:31 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 12:59 PM

Default pssible evolution encounter experience?

Sic. 'im , Raffs. And I just LUV his evasive "God didn't use magic". He knows damn' well what we mean and is just wriggling, wriggling, precious.

However, I wasn't going to post this as it is informative but Theists of the Third Kind will see it as abusive, Confrontational, aggressive, insulting, trollish and Vewwy, vewwy Woood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL2_q3sbdB4

But I was interested to hear some joking suggestions about what to do with the Ark and museum when Hamm finally grabs what money remains and flees back to Australia (if it will even have him back) leaving the whole boilings bankrupt. A Kentucky centre (sorry, center) for American Atheists was suggested. But Aaron Ra remarked that Ken had PAKICETUS on the Ark, and the best reconstruction he's ever seen. There were other Transitional forms on show of the 40 critters and the answer to Why is obvious - Ken is implying that these are the Kinds from which all the present species evolved, just in a couple of thousand years, mind, not a couple of hundred million (1) and including Pakicetus to whale? Really? No wonder Eusebius thinks Ken Ham talks nonsense.

But really, wouldn't it be wonderful is Ken's "Kinds" formed the basis of an Evolution experience based on the defunct Creation museum and Hamm's Ark when it finally goes belly -up, founders and sinks without trace, as surely any actual Ark would have done in flood, even it did only have forty critters and eight humans on board.

(1) which is impossible folks, because.......there wasn't enough time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.