Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 06:00 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Nothing like getting unbiased opinions (laughing out loud) from people who hate God and have a vested interest in spreading their hate in the video.
People seldom hate something they don't think exists. If a person has invested their total self into the belief that such a being MUST exist then there lies the problem.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You will sooner or later come to see that responding...involves you in a frustrating and tough argument (since he is smart enough - no doubt of that) but all about things that don't matter and are just a lot of attempts to score cheap and irrelevant points and try to engineer a "Win" for himself, just on points. Mostly, I just ignore him now.
LOL, I'm no stranger to his kind. I've been around since the early days of usenet and fidonet/echomail. I have plenty of experience with flamers and lamers who aren't half as bright as they think they are.

Quote:
(since he is smart enough - no doubt of that)
That foolish comment about ISIS puts a whole heap of doubt on that.

I rarely killfile anyone, I sometimes find them amusing.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I rarely killfile anyone, I sometimes find them amusing.
Same here, but my test for "ignore" status is do I appear to be missing anything -- anything at all (including wry amusement) when their posts are replaced by those little "you can't see this post because you have the user on ignore" messages? My shortlist of illustrious posters on my ignore list meet that test. Virtually no loss of discussion context, and when I check the occasional quoted post (which you can still see) I confirm time and again that, yes, their postings continue to be just empty and/or repetitive jabber and/or word salad.

One person was on ignore more because their posts were incoherent than anything else, and when I saw evidence that they had become more coherent and therefore interesting, I took them off ignore. The others are there because they are empty trolls and those, apparently, never change, as I have never seen good reason to hose up the signal-to-noise ratio of forum threads by adding them back in.

Old 07-28-2016, 08:01 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Atheists are such hypocrites. You accuse Christians of improperly spending money yet Atheists spend tons of money on billboards around the country making fun of God and the Bible.
Exactly.

A dumb Christian spends money on a silly "muh ark was literally real!" project instead of giving it to the poor? Christians fail!

Atheists spend money on bus ads that lie about atheists numbers that could have been spent on scientific research? Atheism is as awesome as the My Little Pony marathon!

Old 07-28-2016, 09:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Exactly.

A dumb Christian spends money on a silly "muh ark was literally real!" project instead of giving it to the poor? Christians fail!

Atheists spend money on bus ads that lie about atheists numbers that could have been spent on scientific research? Atheism is as awesome as the My Little Pony marathon!
If you're gonna bait Atheists, you need to work on your technique. That was pretty clumsy.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
If you're gonna bait Atheists, you need to work on your technique. That was pretty clumsy.
Not as clumsy as some I have seen. it is a valid question. Like "Are we too aggressive?", is targeting business discriminating on a religious basis the right way to go? Should we change our name? Are Atheist Churches making us a relgion?

They are all questions we need to consider and the one about the use of money is a valid one, also. If I thought that atheist billboards or bus adverts achieved nothing, I would propose they be used in another way. But the use of money to promote atheist arguments is money well spent, because it is telling people what is true and it is very needlful that they hear it. Hamm's Ark, Creation museum and all the millions spent of promoting Creationism is not only a total waste because it is peddling what s not true, but it is positively harmful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ufh8fctr3o

So in fact, VP's argument wasn't bad, but it wasn't valid, in the end.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:38 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Not as clumsy as some I have seen. it is a valid question. Like "Are we too aggressive?", is targeting business discriminating on a religious basis the right way to go? Should we change our name? Are Atheist Churches making us a relgion?

They are all questions we need to consider and the one about the use of money is a valid one, also. If I thought that atheist billboards or bus adverts achieved nothing, I would propose they be used in another way. But the use of money to promote atheist arguments is money well spent, because it is telling people what is true and it is very needlful that they hear it. Hamm's Ark, Creation museum and all the millions spent of promoting Creationism is not only a total waste because it is peddling what s not true, but it is positively harmful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ufh8fctr3o

So in fact, VP's argument wasn't bad, but it wasn't valid, in the end.

Actually, atheists spent money on ads that were almost just as full of it as Ken Ham's ark show. They claimed that "1 in 4 is an atheist" and admit that those numbers simply reflect the portion of NON-RELIGIOUS people. Majority of non-religious are not atheists but just don't like organized religion. It was an outright lie that some atheists still hold onto:

1 in 4 an atheist? Probably not - seattlepi.com

I guess "only 2.5% of us are atheist!" just didn't have the same ring, even if it was true.

Old 08-07-2016, 02:30 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
While you folks have been arguing about who's an atheist and how many there are, back on the subject of this thread, some news about the Ark Encounter is beginning to come out.

Williamstown mayor says Ark Encounter is not the economic boon they expected

The mayor of the town where the Ark Encounter was built says the economic impact is lower than expected. The article confirms that the city provided $60M in Tax Incentive Funding, in which 75% of the property taxes paid by the park would go to repay the loans. The park also got an $18M sales tax rebate from the state of Kentucky.

I wonder who will pay the loans if the Ark Encounter is not successful.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:02 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The mayor of the town where the Ark Encounter was built says the economic impact is lower than expected. The article confirms that the city provided $60M in Tax Incentive Funding, in which 75% of the property taxes paid by the park would go to repay the loans. The park also got an $18M sales tax rebate from the state of Kentucky.

I wonder who will pay the loans if the Ark Encounter is not successful.
I'm thinking that there is a good chance the loans will not be repaid.

Quote:
"We do have some (tourists) exploring downtown,” said Williamstown Mayor Rick Skinner “As the merchants are getting more advertising with the ark, we’re picking up traffic, but it’s not been as immediate as we thought it might be.”

...Visitation to the park has been a lot lower than the expectations set by Ham. The crowds on opening day peaked around 5,000 and have not done much better since.
My prediction is that the park will not break even, Ham's non-profit will need to pump dollars into an ever-deepening flood of red ink upon which his 'ark' cannot float. Eventually, the park will go bankrupt and be taken for non-payment of taxes. The loans will never be repaid, Williamstown will be out a boatload of money on a sunken ship which produced only a white elephant.

Skinner and everyone else who signed off in this ill-advised gamble of a religious park funded with public money at the behest of a liar should be crucified...or at least tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:37 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I'm thinking that there is a good chance the loans will not be repaid.

My prediction is that the park will not break even, Ham's non-profit will need to pump dollars into an ever-deepening flood of red ink upon which his 'ark' cannot float. Eventually, the park will go bankrupt and be taken for non-payment of taxes. The loans will never be repaid, Williamstown will be out a boatload of money on a sunken ship which produced only a white elephant.

Skinner and everyone else who signed off in this ill-advised gamble of a religious park funded with public money at the behest of a liar should be crucified...or at least tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail.
Yeah...that sounds about right. Death by way of the worst torture possible...or at the least tortured by causing 3rd degree burns with molten tar and other horrible physical harm. For making a bad decision on an idea to try to stimulate commerce in a Town/County.
Wow...few would even think that, let alone say it. I know many here have deep hatred for the Religious...but I've yet to see anything like this on the board.
It shows just how far this board has devolved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.