Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 01:14 PM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ken Ham already got massive tax credits to build his boondoggle. But when the town asked him to chip in for fire services and schools, hey! - suddenly it's a ministry, not a theme park at all.

I for one think people who call themselves Christians should abstain from cheap solicitors' tricks to get out of giving to Caesar that which is Caesar's, but hey...
Yeah, I know you right, getting a tax exempt is one thing, but lying or playing trix is another, to deceitfully do something for gain really makes a person suck. I see it every day, and I wonder. These people who have their little ministries are always talking about how people should want to help them, assuming that everyone wants to bless them because they think everyone thinks they are doing God's work.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:25 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Well, Jeff did his best to show Hamm's ark a success, I'll give him that.

but here's thunderfoot on the subject and what need i say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVaVbn7eIFs

Old 07-19-2017, 01:27 PM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Jeff, you are the one flailing here buddy. I have said that I have no problem with people wasting their money on this attraction. I have also said I won't be wasting mine on it. So what is the problem here?

Obviously you and the other atheists just can't stop talking trash about Ken Ham and this attraction. On one hand, atheists blast him for weak attendances numbers based on hearsey and old articles and then on the other hands, atheists fight tooth and nail to prevent groups from attending the attraction using their only weapon, the separation of church and state. How is that fair to criticiize him for attendance when actively seekly to undermind his attendance? This is nothing but just thinly disguised hatred for anything that promotes the gospel and the Bible. I call a spade a spade.

Quote:

Big crowds DON'T mean it is doing well. Let me put it in simple terms for you, okay?

Say a place (Not this place, just a random old place) has a daily operating cost of $10,000. Say they bring in $10,000 in revenue for that day. Is that successful? For a lot of businesses, $10,000 per day would be fantastic, but if you have to pay $10,000 out per day, it doesn't look so good. Do you understand now?
And you have ZERO NADA ZILCH, NOTHING to back up your argument. It's just a desperate way to deny that the Ark is bringing in a lot of tourism. And that means dollars. Your argument only holds water if you have financial statements proving that the Ark's operating costs exceed average daily ticket sales. You got that? No? Then your argument fails like a day old pancake. First your ilk tried to claim no one barely showed up to the thing with false photos and writing it off as a failure after just weeks of operation. And now you resort to this. Really weak.

Quote:

Take a look here.... Ark Encounter’s Official Attendance Numbers Are Far Below What Creationists Expected

Yes, it is an atheist, but his numbers come from Ham himself. 325,000 (Or 6,250 per week, 892 per day) visitors per year would not amount to being very successful overall. Especially when the numbers will go down every year, and especially when it costs over $100 million to build, and it has a high operating cost.
And it's a year old article. Enough said.

Quote:

See Jeff, this proves you just live with rose colored glasses on. People who have a bad experience just want to vent? What about people who have bias towards the attraction wanting to raise its rating by giving it a 5 instead of a 3? The people who go to this park are largely believers and would never give a bad review, regardless of how crappy it is. You know, like you would do. Lie for Jesus.

71% said the ark experience was excellent and now your absurd claim is that they are just lying in their review. I guess that's always the default atheist parachute when you try to pin them down with hardcore evidence. Everyone is a liar except atheists. Nooo, atheists would never lie, right???

Quote:

Now, am I saying it is crappy? No, I am saying it looks crappy to me. Not because of the religious aspect, mind you (I love going to the old churches and cathedrals, especially in New Orleans), but it is nothing more than a stupid tourist trap. It's like Ripley's Believe It or Not in PC Beach, or something like that. A waste of time and money. Again, you want to waste your time and money? Go for it. Won't keep me from stating my opinion.

How can you honestly say it is crappy when you never even been to the thing? Sorry, but all I see here is anti-Christian bias. 71% didn't think it was a waste of time or money. And I don't believe they are all liars, either.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:37 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
From the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
After scamming the Kentucky taxpayer out of over $18 million for a tax incentive to help fund the hugely overpriced $100 million dollar project by promising it would bring 2 million visitors a year, each who pay $40 to enter the 'Ark", only about 4,000 showed up on opening day, many as VIP invitees.

Oooopps. Guess Ken Ham didn't pray enough.
Well, he did better than Noah - he only got 7 people.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:05 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,251,693 times
Quote:
Surprise, surprise, the fundie sees no problems with the folks at the ark encounter screwing the people of Kentucky. Cheat the government for Jesus, huh?
It's KY, hate to tell you but people in the other 49 states probably don't really care.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
I usually don't like seeing a business fail.

But then again, I haven't seen a rule written by god or man that doesn't have exceptions.

I am glad this bad joke is going to go away.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:41 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Surprise, surprise, the fundie sees no problems with the folks at the ark encounter screwing the people of Kentucky. Cheat the government for Jesus, huh?
It doesn't surprise me that you aren't willing to have a reasonable conversation and resort to personal attacks when your argument is countered.

Having said that, do you mean to tell me you've NEVER heard of an atheist try to take advantage of tax law to save money? Are you suggesting that they like to overpay in taxes or that maybe they're just not smart enough to do so?

Old 07-19-2017, 02:50 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Obviously you and the other atheists just can't stop talking trash about Ken Ham and this attraction. On one hand, atheists blast him for weak attendances numbers based on hearsey and old articles and then on the other hands, atheists fight tooth and nail to prevent groups from attending the attraction using their only weapon, the separation of church and state. How is that fair to criticiize him for attendance when actively seekly to undermind his attendance? This is nothing but just thinly disguised hatred for anything that promotes the gospel and the Bible. I call a spade a spade.
Right, because Ken Ham is a joke. Do you believe dinosaurs roamed with humans and were on the ark Jeff? If you do, congrats, you fit right in with Ham. If you don't, then you think about the same of him as I do.

Also, how is ANYONE trying to keep people from going to the ark? How are they using the separation of church and state to do so?

I have no hatred for anyone involved in this thing, Jeff. That doesn't keep me from speaking an opinion though. And please, just read what you have wrote above, and see why you have these terrible interactions with other people. It is YOUR attitude.

Quote:
And you have ZERO NADA ZILCH, NOTHING to back up your argument. It's just a desperate way to deny that the Ark is bringing in a lot of tourism. And that means dollars. Your argument only holds water if you have financial statements proving that the Ark's operating costs exceed average daily ticket sales. You got that? No? Then your argument fails like a day old pancake. First your ilk tried to claim no one barely showed up to the thing with false photos and writing it off as a failure after just weeks of operation. And now you resort to this. Really weak.

I wasn't claiming to have those things, was I? I was making a point that attendance doesn't matter if you make less than you pay out. I was making that point and that point only. Your nonsense aside.

Read some more recent stories. There are everywhere online. Type in "Ark encounter failing" or any number of other things and you will find them. I know you won't, and even if you do you will just claim they are lying, but hey, I can hope you will be honest one day I suppose.

"My ilk" has done nothing of the sort, unless you mean spiritual agnostics, and in that case, I would like some proof. Stop painting with your broad ignorance brush Joffery.

Quote:
71% said the ark experience was excellent and now your absurd claim is that they are just lying in their review. I guess that's always the default atheist parachute when you try to pin them down with hardcore evidence. Everyone is a liar except atheists. Nooo, atheists would never lie, right???

I didn't say everyone was a liar, did I? I said there will be those that do that though. Absolutely. You act as if everyone on your side tells the truth, and that is simply a lie. (See, not even you can stop lying)

Quote:
How can you honestly say it is crappy when you never even been to the thing? Sorry, but all I see here is anti-Christian bias. 71% didn't think it was a waste of time or money. And I don't believe they are all liars, either.
Have you seen pics of the exhibits??? I have, and they look like cheap garbage. And again, you are lying about me, as I never said that everyone thought it was a waste, or that they were all liars. Why do YOU keep lying Jeff????

Old 07-19-2017, 02:55 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
It doesn't surprise me that you aren't willing to have a reasonable conversation and resort to personal attacks when your argument is countered.

Having said that, do you mean to tell me you've NEVER heard of an atheist try to take advantage of tax law to save money? Are you suggesting that they like to overpay in taxes or that maybe they're just not smart enough to do so?
Don't be silly. Nobody is immune to greed. Given an honest assessment, though, 'greedy religious nut trying to get rich' comes up far more often than 'greedy atheist trying to leverage a loophole'.

Creflo Dollar and Robert Tilton buy million-dollar private jets and write them off as 'church property' to escape the related tax bills. Peter Popoff solicits money from his flock, under the guise of 'faith healing' (when in actuality, his wife is feeding him information through an earpiece).

And don't get me started on the Prosperity Gospel, which is basically 'keep sending me money until you wise up to my scam'.

How naive do you think we are? They're profiting at the expense of the vulnerable. This is happening -- it's happening right now, and your blind faith is telling you 'Caesar can do no wrong'.

And yet, when we try to hold them accountable, we're the villains.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:57 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Is it an attack if it is true? Fundies tend to not give a crap about another fundie screwing someone over. I was just making the observation. I mean, you have fundie in your name for Christ's sake.

I'm saying nothing of the sort. What would make you think I was? There are scumbags all over, both religious and not. Also, there is a difference in taking advantage of a tax break on your personal income or something like that, and trying to avoid paying any taxes and possibly leaving a state picking up after you.

Let me ask you a question or two, and do try to answer honestly.

Do you honestly think a FOR PROFIT organization should be tax exempt?

If so, why? What is the reason?

Also, if Ham's ark encounter does end up failing, is it fair for the taxpaying people of Kentucky to have to bear the burden of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality