Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 09:12 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

I predict it'll close within five years and re-open in 50 as a museum of quaint curiousities: "Yep, Junior, people really used to believe this stuff."

Old 07-20-2017, 09:23 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
How did the arc encounter explain the source of the light for that time period, Rbbi1?

I'll bet you're gonna say candles and oil lamps?

How many mile of wick material and wax would be needed for 24/7 burning, for a year, to enable the 8 of them to do their chores in the blackness of the lower two decks?

Oil lamps ? How much oil would be needed for 24/7 burning, for a year?

Majic light stones?

Ever really thought about it Rbbi1?
The Ark Encounter represents a metaphorical story...not a literal account. But then, you probably knew that.
For those that critique it as literal...y'all are forgetting the main part of the story...that an Omnimax God was behind it all (the story even said God closed the door to the Ark).
An Omnimax God could employ "miracles" to work out any logistical issues. Funny that you didn't remember that part.
So...taking "God performing miracles" to solve any problems into account with the rest of the story you are trying to critique as a literal given...how could there be any issues what-so-ever?
It's actually a joke...those making a literal critique of the story The Ark Encounter describes to criticize it as impossible...breaking down each and every potential issue to note that it couldn't have actually happened! Even down to the oil lamps.
If you are gonna make a literal peice-by-peice breakdown assessment of the story...one must also include what the story says about an All-Powerful God being involved in the whole scenario. Funny y'all seem to leave that most important and notable part out of a literal critique of the story.
If one is gonna assess the story The Ark Encounter tells, as all a literal given...then the Omnimax God involvement part is a literal given too.
So, there ya go...any and all problems solved **SNAP** by Yahweh!
From what I understand The Ark Encounter explains it that way.
"Magic light stones" could be what was done. But why mess with stones? Just make it light...simple!
Ever really thought about that?

Old 07-20-2017, 09:24 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
This is off topic but I was wondering if you knew the meaning of light year.
Of course. Do you?

Old 07-20-2017, 09:30 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
I never suggested such a thing. Fundie, you really need to learn to respond to what one actually says, as opposed to what you want them to have said.

So, let me break it down for you. My husband and I are what you would call "middle class". We live in a nice area, drive somewhat decent vehicles, but don't have a lot of extra things in our life. We donate a decent portion of our earnings every year to various charities, some are even religious charities, like the food bank we donate to here in our town. I also buy things where I work to donate to various charities. We volunteer at a few different places throughout the year, doing everything from building houses to serving food.

Now, could I possibly do more? Sure, but I would be neglecting my family and would lose my home. I do everything that I am able to do, while still being able to spend as much time as I can with my son, and keep him in a good school district. If you want to claim that this means I should do more, you are certainly welcome to do so, but it would make you look crazy.
Good for you. You're just like millions of Americans in that regard, and I mean no disrespect in my line of questioning. You seem like a very nice person.

But why would you begrudge others for spending their dollars and spending their time on things they deem to be worthy? You do what you can, and then you do what you want with your surplus. If you want to see a movie on Friday night, I'm sure you do, and you certainly have that right to decide what you want to do with it.

Why can't others do the same? Instead of stating that this thing is a waste and declaring that it SHOULD have been used for something like Habitat for Humanity, why not suggest that a person could choose to use their disposable income to support it if they like? Maybe I'd like to put my vacation money into taking the family to go see it.
Quote:
Now, answer my question fundie. What do you do to help out, and why is spending $100 million on a tourist trap and then trying to escape paying taxes, leaving the good people of KY to carry your bill, a good thing? How is it a "Christian" thing to do? How is spending $100 million on this justified when millions of people could use the help?
I volunteer at the church, give to the food pantry, serve at the homeless shelter, and do various other things. As for the question of how spending $100 million on this is justified? Again...why can I not spend the extra money I have to support this when you spend your surplus cash your way?

Old 07-20-2017, 09:37 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
For those that critique it as literal...y'all are forgetting the main part of the story...that an Omnimax God was behind it all (the story even said God closed the door to the Ark).
An Omnimax God could employ "miracles" to work out any logistical issues. Funny that you didn't remember that part.
So...taking "God performing miracles" to solve any problems into account with the rest of the story you are trying to critique as a literal given...how could there be any issues what-so-ever?
Ah! Of course! The Christian 'get-out'. Whenever you get caught in a corner and there is no way out, just claim..... 'MAGIC'. So really, there is no need to discuss anything, to learn about our world or the universe. When we need an answer to anything we just say....'God did it...and he can do magic.'

Old 07-20-2017, 10:03 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,046,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
How did the arc encounter explain the source of the light for that time period, Rbbi1?

I'll bet you're gonna say candles and oil lamps?

How many mile of wick material and wax would be needed for 24/7 burning, for a year, to enable the 8 of them to do their chores in the blackness of the lower two decks?

Oil lamps ? How much oil would be needed for 24/7 burning, for a year?

Majic light stones?

Ever really thought about it Rbbi1?

A lot. Probably about as much as they displayed in giant oil jars in one section. Peace

Old 07-20-2017, 10:03 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Good for you. You're just like millions of Americans in that regard, and I mean no disrespect in my line of questioning. You seem like a very nice person.

But why would you begrudge others for spending their dollars and spending their time on things they deem to be worthy? You do what you can, and then you do what you want with your surplus. If you want to see a movie on Friday night, I'm sure you do, and you certainly have that right to decide what you want to do with it.

Why can't others do the same? Instead of stating that this thing is a waste and declaring that it SHOULD have been used for something like Habitat for Humanity, why not suggest that a person could choose to use their disposable income to support it if they like? Maybe I'd like to put my vacation money into taking the family to go see it.

Sure I do. I would never begrudge anyone doing things they want to do. You have to enjoy life, otherwise, what is the purpose?

I have never stated that people shouldn't go to the ark and should spend their money on Habitat for Humanity or anything else. First off, I think there is a bit of misunderstanding here, as I was not the one who initially brought up the Habitat for Humanity thing. Secondly, I am saying nothing of someone using their disposable income to go here. They are certainly welcome to do so. I won't waste my money on it, but then again, these people may not waste theirs to go to New Orleans for a weekend. To each their own. I am talking more about the gigantic waste of $100 million to build the thing, and the push to avoid any and all taxes and possibly leave the people of KY picking up the pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I volunteer at the church, give to the food pantry, serve at the homeless shelter, and do various other things. As for the question of how spending $100 million on this is justified? Again...why can I not spend the extra money I have to support this when you spend your surplus cash your way?
Again, you are not answering the question asked. I didn't ask how you going to the ark is justified. I asked how you can justify spending $100 million on a theme park instead of helping those in need. How you can justify the tax payers of KY possibly having to pick up the tab, etc. I don't care how you spend you disposable income, but the money to build this ark did not come from Ken Ham's disposable income.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The Ark Encounter represents a metaphorical story...not a literal account. But then, you probably knew that.
It's actually a joke...those making a literal critique of the story The Ark Encounter describes to criticize it as impossible...breaking down each and every potential issue to note that it couldn't have actually happened! Even down to the oil lamps.
If you are gonna make a literal peice-by-peice breakdown assessment of the story...one must also include what the story says about an All-Powerful God being involved in the whole scenario. Funny y'all seem to leave that most important and notable part out of a literal critique of the story.
If one is gonna assess the story The Ark Encounter tells, as all a literal given...then the Omnimax God involvement part is a literal given too.
So, there ya go...any and all problems solved **SNAP** by Yahweh!
From what I understand The Ark Encounter explains it that way.
"Magic light stones" could be what was done. But why mess with stones? Just make it light...simple!
Ever really thought about that?

Well, duh. No different than the Israelites having light in their dwellings when the rest did not, nor than Him putting light in OUR dwellings (we too are an earthen vessel holding oil for light/illumination). Your unbelief doesn't negate a thing, just puts you in the class with the Egyptians, is all. But this too, is subject to change. Peace

Old 07-20-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Sure I do. I would never begrudge anyone doing things they want to do. You have to enjoy life, otherwise, what is the purpose?

I have never stated that people shouldn't go to the ark and should spend their money on Habitat for Humanity or anything else. First off, I think there is a bit of misunderstanding here, as I was not the one who initially brought up the Habitat for Humanity thing. Secondly, I am saying nothing of someone using their disposable income to go here. They are certainly welcome to do so. I won't waste my money on it, but then again, these people may not waste theirs to go to New Orleans for a weekend. To each their own. I am talking more about the gigantic waste of $100 million to build the thing, and the push to avoid any and all taxes and possibly leave the people of KY picking up the pieces.

Again, you are not answering the question asked. I didn't ask how you going to the ark is justified. I asked how you can justify spending $100 million on a theme park instead of helping those in need. How you can justify the tax payers of KY possibly having to pick up the tab, etc. I don't care how you spend you disposable income, but the money to build this ark did not come from Ken Ham's disposable income.

Wonder what it cost to build Disneyworld by now? How DARE they. It's all relative, the only reason this one is getting flack is the Christian element. Peace

Old 07-20-2017, 10:23 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Wonder what it cost to build Disneyworld by now? How DARE they. It's all relative, the only reason this one is getting flack is the Christian element. Peace
Not exactly - it's the Christian-when-convenient element. (Well, apart from the dishonest pseudoscientific attempt at deluding people into believing there's evidence for a literal Flood, but that's young-earthers for you. They're sorta categorically spreaders of misinformation.)

Disney does not claim to be a "ministry" to avoid paying for the community services that Disney benefits from. Ken Ham does. The moneychangers aren't just in his temple, they're running it. And IIRC, the Carpenter's Son felt rather strongly about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.