Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 10:24 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Sure I do. I would never begrudge anyone doing things they want to do. You have to enjoy life, otherwise, what is the purpose?

I have never stated that people shouldn't go to the ark and should spend their money on Habitat for Humanity or anything else. First off, I think there is a bit of misunderstanding here, as I was not the one who initially brought up the Habitat for Humanity thing.
Perhaps we misunderstood each other.
Quote:

Secondly, I am saying nothing of someone using their disposable income to go here. They are certainly welcome to do so. I won't waste my money on it, but then again, these people may not waste theirs to go to New Orleans for a weekend. To each their own. I am talking more about the gigantic waste of $100 million to build the thing, and the push to avoid any and all taxes and possibly leave the people of KY picking up the pieces.
So it is about the fact that you don't appreciate people spending money on the things they want to.
Quote:

Again, you are not answering the question asked. I didn't ask how you going to the ark is justified. I asked how you can justify spending $100 million on a theme park instead of helping those in need.
The ark is justified because people want the ark. I want it. I'm looking forward to going. I know many others just like me.
Quote:

How you can justify the tax payers of KY possibly having to pick up the tab, etc. I don't care how you spend you disposable income, but the money to build this ark did not come from Ken Ham's disposable income.
For the same reason that they pick up the tab for other projects. Or any city picks up the tab for things. You seem to have issue with the fact that Ham took advantage of tax laws that are already on the books.

Why? Why is he not allowed to do that and other organizations are? There are numerous other ballparks, theme parks, stadiums, etc nationwide, and even right near there that do the same thing. Heck, the Reds built a new park near there not too long ago and I'm sure they got some kind of help from the city of Cincinatti.

The money to build this is not coming directly from the taxpayers' pockets. It comes from the pockets of guys like me that take their families to see it.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:30 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Wonder what it cost to build Disneyworld by now? How DARE they. It's all relative, the only reason this one is getting flack is the Christian element. Peace
There is one major difference though, which I am sure you left out by an honest mistake... Disney is not using the taxpayers to pay for their stuff. It is not tax exempt. In fact, they pay millions in property taxes every year. See the major difference here?

Also, I don't think anyone would argue how much money Disney brings to surrounding areas. It is like a city unto itself, and provides many more jobs and much more tourist money than the ark.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:41 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,047,415 times
Quote:
There is one major difference though, which I am sure you left out by an honest mistake... Disney is not using the taxpayers to pay for their stuff. It is not tax exempt. In fact, they pay millions in property taxes every year. See the major difference here?

Also, I don't think anyone would argue how much money Disney brings to surrounding areas. It is like a city unto itself, and provides many more jobs and much more tourist money than the ark.

Yes, I do. But if you remove that from them, you have to remove it from EVERY tax-exempt across the land, including the "pseudo churches" like Scientology and Satanic churches, service oriented ones like Habitat for Humanity, the Salvation Army, ect., and most people would not be comfortable with that. So feel free to complain about it, I would complain about a few myself, but it's obviously, at least at this time, like trying to whitewash crude oil. Peace

Old 07-20-2017, 10:44 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:

Was Disney ever promised by any politician to be tax exempt, only to have it pulled out from under them?

Was Disneyland built by a ministry?

And along that line, I'm assuming you condemn the building of any baseball stadium, football stadium, any auditorium, or anything that has any type of community use?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM

[quote=BaptistFundie;48902328]Perhaps we misunderstood each other.

Perhaps so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So it is about the fact that you don't appreciate people spending money on the things they want to.
Where would you get that? I specifically said people can spend their money wherever they choose. I don't care.

Quote:
The ark is justified because people want the ark. I want it. I'm looking forward to going. I know many others just like me.
So all it takes to justify something is people wanting it? So I guess you have no issue with gay marriage then, since so many want it?

Quote:
For the same reason that they pick up the tab for other projects. Or any city picks up the tab for things. You seem to have issue with the fact that Ham took advantage of tax laws that are already on the books.
And they shouldn't have to do that either. I know people in Cobb County aren't too happy with having to fund the new Braves stadium. The county is fitting the bill for about $400 million if I remember correctly. Why should they have to? After all, the people who own the Braves should be able to do so without their help.

I do have an issue with people using loopholes to screw other people over. You are right there. Don't get me wrong though, I am not just blaming Ham. The people who allowed it to happen are just as bad as he is. It isn't just about the $100 million though. The state is also having to pony up a bunch of money to improve infrastructure nearby as well, just to accommodate the ark. Let's not forget the "safety assessment tax" which they are now trying to avoid as well, which was to pay for the emergency services for the park. So now they want to taxpayers to front their emergency services as well.

Quote:
Why? Why is he not allowed to do that and other organizations are? There are numerous other ballparks, theme parks, stadiums, etc nationwide, and even right near there that do the same thing. Heck, the Reds built a new park near there not too long ago and I'm sure they got some kind of help from the city of Cincinatti.
Yes, they probably did. I am sure there were a lot of people mad about taxes going up as well. What's your point? I don't think tax payers should pay for stadiums either. The teams are all owned by billionaires anyways, can't they finance their own stuff? Why do they need all the free money?

Quote:
The money to build this is not coming directly from the taxpayers' pockets. It comes from the pockets of guys like me that take their families to see it.
Yes, it is. Property taxes have went up in surrounding areas, and if they successful dodge the safety tax, it will come from the people as well. If there are so many of you guys going, and they ark is doing so well, why do they need to keep trying to avoid taxes, if they aren't just trying to line their pockets?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Yes, I do. But if you remove that from them, you have to remove it from EVERY tax-exempt across the land, including the "pseudo churches" like Scientology and Satanic churches, service oriented ones like Habitat for Humanity, the Salvation Army, ect., and most people would not be comfortable with that. So feel free to complain about it, I would complain about a few myself, but it's obviously, at least at this time, like trying to whitewash crude oil. Peace
Why would you have to do that? I would agree with Scientology and Satanic churches not being tax exempt, but why in the world should a FOR PROFIT theme park be tax exempt? Do you have a good reason for that? All those you listed are not for profit, except for Scientology....

Old 07-20-2017, 10:50 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
So all it takes to justify something is people wanting it? So I guess you have no issue with gay marriage then, since so many want it?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,661 times
Quote:
Was Disney ever promised by any politician to be tax exempt, only to have it pulled out from under them?
It was not 'pulled out from under' Ham and the Ark Encounter. He made the promise of tax exemption, and then he either didn't look closely enough at what was being offered, or just chose to ignore it in favor of easy money so he could get the Ark Experience built.

Quote:
No, and for that reason there was no reason to request or promise a tax exemption.

Quote:
And along that line, I'm assuming you condemn the building of any baseball stadium, football stadium, any auditorium, or anything that has any type of community use?
Can you play baseball, football, or stage a play in the Ark Encounter?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Can you play baseball, football, or stage a play in the Ark Encounter?
You could do autocross in the empty parking lots.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:

They were never promised to be tax exempt from what I know of it. They were promised tax breaks, but not to be 100% tax exempt.

Whether it was built by a ministry is 100% irrelevant. It isn't a ministry, it is a theme park. If a Baptist church were to build a water park, it wouldn't be a ministry.

If those things were tax exempt, you better believe I would condemn it. Fact is, they are not tax exempt unless they are run by the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality