Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 10:58 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
America is the last bastion of Christian fundamentalism and they will soon reap what they sowed in November.

It'll be an ugly, painful evolution, like civil rights in the 60s - but just as necessary.

America has to evolve or it will join the other historical, self-immolating, near-forgotten empires.

Right now, it's choking on its own hubris.
I hate to break your delusion, but Christianity is alive and well throughout the world. Nearly 1/3 of the world's population identify as Christian. Christian fundamentalism has exploded in countries like South Korea. They even made a strong push to promote creationism and a literal Genesis into the school curriculum and destroy the lie of evolution.

And thousands of people show up and fill stadiums for Christian events like Awakening Europe.

https://www.god.tv/awakeningeurope-2...s-overstreet-2

Old 07-21-2017, 11:08 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Sure. Ok.
Glad you agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Nearly 1/3 of the world's population identify as Christian.
So 2.5 billion are Christians and 5 billion are not. Which means that twice as many people don't accept your Jesus than do.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Ken Ham is a complete an udder moron. People were blasting him long before this ark.

Gee, when I have heard atheists and skeptics talk positively about any pastor? Umm pretty much never. Anyone who speaks out for Christ and the Bible gets attacked. The Bible even says this will happen. After all, darkness hates the light.

Quote:

And without a time machine you have ZERO proof it isn't fiction. Works both ways Jeff.
There is plenty of proof to support the Bible. I don't need a time machine. Jesus believed in the Noah account. I know that Jesus is real. That's good enough for me.

Quote:

You say "every culture around the world tells a similiar flood story", huh.... Can you provide some proof of such? Because there were many civilizations around that time that tell no such stories. It seems as if you are making it up, or buying something someone sold you as fact.

This website lists them all. I find it kinda hard to believe that it is just a concidence that out of all the potential disasters, all these civiliations would have a story involving a global flood. Why not destruction by volcano or earthquake? Nope, it's usually involves an angry god who decides to destroy the world by flood.

Flood Stories from Around the World

Quote:

There are still plenty, you are right about that. You are not right about not going anywhere though. Here in the US, Christian fundamentalism is in its final stages, its death rattle. The fundies are getting more fundamental, but they are getting to be less in numbers. Thank God.
And you prove ZERO proof to back up such a claim. But I'm not surprised.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
I always enjoy your posts Jeff. It tickles me that I just replied on another thread showing BaptistFundie that Jesus did not know that Noah and Jonah were false, just as he didn't know there was no Torment in Hades, and didn't know that demons did not cause disease.

And sure, sure, any liar can stand up and say "And I know there are those who will produce all sorts of facts to debunk me, well that's just what you'd expect from those biased against me and want to drag me down, and so you can just ignore and discount them. Please."

See the trick, Jeff? There was a rather interesting history of atheism Jeff and it made a point I hadn't thought of. It is known that there were atheists all the time. They simply never got heard (one or two hidden accounts have turned up) but that the Church was always denouncing them and warning not to listen or - as you say - trying to debunk them before they could even get a word in, shows they were there.

You and Gldnrule may turn out to be right - Religion may swampt skepticism. Christianity may swamp all the others. That doesn't make them right though, and it won't stop us working to roll back lies, tosh, superstition, myth, disinformation and denial.

Flood stories.

Eusebius did us a great service in his memorable proof of the flood from archaeology. Sorta. It was some bod with the Archeology of the Black sea flood. In fact it debinked the Biblical flood, not only because it was, despite being part of a global Flood cause by ice age thawing, it wasn't total, and also that was why there were flood myths told by the people who survived. Arguing that Noah's family (genetic bottleneck problems that would cause and all) did not carry garbled (VERY garbled) verions of the flood story. The differing versions shown that different people wrote their own versions.

But, worse, the Biblical Flood is not one of them. It derives from The babylonian Flood which is a local riverine flood cause by storms and rivers rising. Just as in the Chinese flood story, which is NOTHING to do with a Biblical total flood.

And of course Egypt has no flood legend even though somebiody tried to cobble together some quotes about the primeval water and a goddess turning the Nile to blood. But the Nile flood was a blessing, so it was a god, not a destruction caused by a god.

There doesn'r need to be a total world flood to account for the legends, and even if there are, it isn't the Total one in the Bible and even then, the Noachian flood isn't anything to do with it.

And that's without any unfeasibility study.

P.s folks, I did see anothner video made by a hostile source. It was filthy weather so maybe that's why nobody was there. I was aghast, by the way, at most of the ark being filled with ramps. Total waste of space. But I was impressed by the many many little wooden cages. There did seem to be thousands, though a bit on the small side. I didn't see anything that would house a hippo let alone a stegosaur, And I'm no vet, but given a year, I'd bet on a 40% extinction rate.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-21-2017 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-21-2017, 11:37 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
There is plenty of proof to support the Bible. I don't need a time machine. Jesus believed in the Noah account. I know that Jesus is real. That's good enough for me.

This website lists them all. I find it kinda hard to believe that it is just a concidence that out of all the potential disasters, all these civiliations would have a story involving a global flood. Why not destruction by volcano or earthquake? Nope, it's usually involves an angry god who decides to destroy the world by flood.

Flood Stories from Around the World
Did you even read the first paragraph. Here, I'll post it for you...

The stories below are flood stories from the world's folklore. I have included stories here if (1) they are stories; (2) they are folklore, not historical accounts or fiction by a known author; and (3) they involve a flood. In most borderline cases, I included the story here anyway. For example, one story (Hopi) tells of a flood which was avoided and never occurred. (my emphasis)

You do realise what is meant by 'folklore', 'fiction' and 'non-historical accounts' do you? And do you even realise (probably not because you didn't bother to read the accounts) that some of those stories pre-date your Bible yet have exactly the same stories as that found in the Bible. The only difference is the name of the god involved. A clear indication that Noah's global flood is just a re-hash of pre-existing mythology.

Another astonishing.....

Last edited by Rafius; 07-21-2017 at 12:06 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 11:58 AM

I had the Answer to that - The biblical account pre -dates ALL of them. It is 6,000 years old, the others just three or four thousand years old.

Point out that the Sumerian original is smaller and simpler and therefore earlier -
*shrug* no it isn't. The Bible is is better and therefore true.

There are many early versions of the Sumerian flood story. There are no versions of the Biblical one.
*shrug* so what?

the other legends are hardly ever like the Biblical flood.
*shrug*.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-21-2017 at 01:15 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 12:18 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Glad you agree.

So 2.5 billion are Christians and 5 billion are not. Which means that twice as many people don't accept your Jesus than do.
And Jeff regularly dismisses many of those Christians as they are liberal Christians hence not true Christians. And one of the flood stories has been traced to the 17th century earthquake in Japan, postdating not only Noah but also Jesus. One cannot help but notice that any disagreement with Jeff's interpretation of the Bible is considered hateful and rude however he constantly makes the claim that evolution is a lie and yet always shows that he doesn't even understand it. On top of that the leadership of the largest Christian denomination have accepted evolution for decades. Apparently Catholics are Christians when Jeff needs their numbers but not Christian when they are not agreeing with his version.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:17 PM

Can't rep you, but that was a darn god slapdown.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:19 PM

Review from yesterday:

"We went to see President Carter teach Sunday School in Plains last year. He mentioned that a replica of Noah's Ark, following biblical dimensions, was being built near Cincinnati in Williamstown, Kentucky. On a road trip this month my husband and I went to see it! Totally amazing! It is huge!!!!
The attention to details is wonderful. It was very busy and crowded but still worth it. I would consider going in the fall when it is cooler and children are in school (only because it might be less busy)."

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Kentucky.html

Opps I forgot. "Very busy" and "crowded" means that the Ark is a massive failure, right?

Old 07-21-2017, 01:25 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And Jeff regularly dismisses many of those Christians as they are liberal Christians hence not true Christians. And one of the flood stories has been traced to the 17th century earthquake in Japan, postdating not only Noah but also Jesus. One cannot help but notice that any disagreement with Jeff's interpretation of the Bible is considered hateful and rude however he constantly makes the claim that evolution is a lie and yet always shows that he doesn't even understand it. On top of that the leadership of the largest Christian denomination have accepted evolution for decades. Apparently Catholics are Christians when Jeff needs their numbers but not Christian when they are not agreeing with his version.
If we want to go that route, I'll refer you to the fact that ancient Chinese characters for flood and boat seem to allude to Noah.

Genesis in Chinese Pictographs | The Institute for Creation Research

Of course, you will outright discount ICR, so I realize you will not believe this. You'll dodge it.

The fact is, Noah's flood happened well before the 17th Century flood you refer to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality