Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2017, 11:49 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Again, so WHAT? It's a rainbow. Should we be upset because My Little Pony used a rainbow on their toys? I don't care if they plaster one on every one of their behinds with a tattoo, it's not going to change what G-D intended for it to mean. I just think it's an absurd thing to get worked up over. Got rainbow? Peace
Well, that's what I'm saying: it's ridiculous to try and 'reclaim' something that was never 'stolen' to begin with. It's rather like a jeweler trying to 'reclaim' diamonds that are still in his display cases; they didn't go anywhere, so what's to reclaim?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:54 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Bingo.

Although you refuse to accept or acknowledge it, Jeff, very few of us have any problem with Christianity or Christians. What offends us is your conduct. To be quite honest, I find a lot of your behavior boorish, ignorant, and disrespectful, but I know that you are not your religion.

Sixteen years ago, a handful of men following what they thought was a religious edict caused the single worst peacetime attack in US history. Three thousand people lost their lives, because of unquestioning obedience to misinterpreted religious dogma.

That is what we're angry about: the mindset that causes someone to denigrate another because they don't Believe. The self-indulgent attitude that makes someone think that, because they don't believe, you can treat them like dirt. The utter lack of respect for the sanctity of human life, because hey -- hate is 'okay' if it's holy, right?

Frankly, if a religion requires that I discard common decency in order to obey its edicts, I want no part of it. That's not what Jesus taught, it's not what God wanted, and it's not an attitude I will ever embrace.

So, yes, Jeff. We dislike what fundamentalism represents, because we've seen first-hand the damage it's done, and we have no desire whatsoever to see it again.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I know this is just a fall back for those like Jeff, who have to believe everyone hate them, but the fact is, the large majority of us have ZERO problem with Christians. If I did, I would have a pretty rough time living down here in the Bible belt. I would have very few friends, and family outings would be an issue. They aren't though, because I have no problem with non-fundamentalist Christians. None at all. Most of my family are Christians, most of my co-workers, most of my friends are too.

I know Jeff doesn't want to hear (and most certainly won't...) that we aren't all Satan loving heathens who hate Christians, but we aren't.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:52 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Bingo.

Although you refuse to accept or acknowledge it, Jeff, very few of us have any problem with Christianity or Christians. What offends us is your conduct. To be quite honest, I find a lot of your behavior boorish, ignorant, and disrespectful, but I know that you are not your religion.

Sixteen years ago, a handful of men following what they thought was a religious edict caused the single worst peacetime attack in US history. Three thousand people lost their lives, because of unquestioning obedience to misinterpreted religious dogma.

That is what we're angry about: the mindset that causes someone to denigrate another because they don't Believe. The self-indulgent attitude that makes someone think that, because they don't believe, you can treat them like dirt. The utter lack of respect for the sanctity of human life, because hey -- hate is 'okay' if it's holy, right?

Frankly, if a religion requires that I discard common decency in order to obey its edicts, I want no part of it. That's not what Jesus taught, it's not what God wanted, and it's not an attitude I will ever embrace.

So, yes, Jeff. We dislike what fundamentalism represents, because we've seen first-hand the damage it's done, and we have no desire whatsoever to see it again.
Well stated. There are so many Christians on this forum who are not only a delight but a real pleasure to covers with. I have read how the fundamentalists have gained power and corrupted much of the Muslim world, so much so that too many of us in the West think that this fundamentalism is not only typical of Muslims but that this is the way it has always been. One reads of fundamentalist Jews spitting on and harrassing young girls who are simply in their way to school to get an education. And how fundamentalist in the States are constantly undercutting solid science as well as trying to stigmatize higher education that is not based on the way they read the Bible. I think Jeff is angry at all those who stand in the way between his church and having a country that is much like his fellow members, no room for the rest.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:19 PM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
In other words, no, facts won't change your mind. At least you are honest.... about this one thing.
I never said that. I don't trust atheists because they are so biased against Christianity that they just throw out their opinion like it is proven fact. For example, stating that the Bible is a book of fairy tales.

So you put words in my mouth and then have the gall to suggest I have never be honest in ANY of my previous posts. Is it any wonder why I don't respect your side?

Old 07-24-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Bingo.

As someone who is consistently rude, arrogant and condescending to me, I personally wouldn't put much stock value in your judgement of my behavior. No, I don't respect people that spread garbage and lies about my faith and the Bible.

Quote:

And yet atheists have no problem denigrating God's people, trash talking people like Ken Ham when the evidence is plain as day that many people are having a good experience at this park. I pointed out the facts. OVERWHELMINGLY top rated excellent reviews. But as always, any evidence that flies against the narrative that you want is ignored or put through a magician's trick of misdirection.

Quote:

You know nothing about what is truly going on in my faith. We are out there on the front lines helping the hurting. Suicide is an epidemic. Even celebrities are now hanging themselves. That is the fruit that is grown when a society embraces secularism and atheism.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:55 PM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Amen. If a religious belief requires that you mistreat or discriminate against someone or judge and condemn someone or in any way socially ostracize anyone it is bogus and has NOTHING to do with God.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:58 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
As someone who is consistently rude, arrogant and condescending to me, I personally wouldn't put much stock value in your judgement of my behavior. No, I don't respect people that spread garbage and lies about my faith and the Bible.
I don't really care that you don't put much stock in my opinion of you; you'll go on living your life, and I'll go on living mine, and the Internet will forever separate us.

You think I'm 'rude, arrogant and condescending'? I'm calling it as I see it, Jeff. You don't seem to respond to the subtle approach, so I'm through with sugar-coating things to try and save your fragile ego. If you can't handle brutal honesty, I'm sorry -- the truth does suck, particularly when you don't want to hear it.

Quote:
And yet atheists have no problem denigrating God's people, trash talking people like Ken Ham when the evidence is plain as day that many people are having a good experience at this park. I pointed out the facts. OVERWHELMINGLY top rated excellent reviews. But as always, any evidence that flies against the narrative that you want is ignored or put through a magician's trick of misdirection.
Oh, come on, Jeff, there are a--holes everywhere, your own religion included, and if you can't see that you're just being even more naive than usual. If you're so thin-skinned that someone else's viewpoints continually offend you, the problem is with you, not them.

Quote:
You know nothing about what is truly going on in my faith. We are out there on the front lines helping the hurting. Suicide is an epidemic. Even celebrities are now hanging themselves. That is the fruit that is grown when a society embraces secularism and atheism.
How melodromatic.

You're hardly the only ones 'on the front lines', so you can stop trying to martyr yourself. All I'll say is that if your homophobic Christians-first-and-only attitude is the only weapon you're bringing to the front lines, you're pretty poorly armed.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:01 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
No, I don't respect people that spread garbage and lies about my faith and the Bible.
We don't respect people that spread garbage and lies about the Bible either. See - we're very similar.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:39 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
I never said that. I don't trust atheists because they are so biased against Christianity that they just throw out their opinion like it is proven fact. For example, stating that the Bible is a book of fairy tales.

So you put words in my mouth and then have the gall to suggest I have never be honest in ANY of my previous posts. Is it any wonder why I don't respect your side?
Yes, you did. Or at least you said what sounded like that. Maybe reword it so it doesn't get taken that way if you don't mean it that way.

Speaking of putting words in someone's mouth, where did I ever suggest you were not honest in ANY of your previous posts? I simply said, at you are being honest, about this one thing. Maybe I should reword it too, to help you out.

At least you are honest about your hatred for atheists. At least you are honest about how you think atheists (which I am not by the way) are lesser humans than fundamentalists (since you also think that of non fundie Christians). At least you are honest in your bigotry and ignorance.

Better?

Old 07-25-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I don't really care that you don't put much stock in my opinion of you; you'll go on living your life, and I'll go on living mine, and the Internet will forever separate us.

You think I'm 'rude, arrogant and condescending'? I'm calling it as I see it, Jeff. You don't seem to respond to the subtle approach, so I'm through with sugar-coating things to try and save your fragile ego. If you can't handle brutal honesty, I'm sorry -- the truth does suck, particularly when you don't want to hear it.
Ahh playing the indifferent card now, huh? If you didn't care that much, why even bother? You're not going to convince me that my faith is a fiction. Besides when someone treats me with disrespect they lose the right to convince me that anything they say is true.

Quote:

Oh, come on, Jeff, there are a--holes everywhere, your own religion included, and if you can't see that you're just being even more naive than usual. If you're so thin-skinned that someone else's viewpoints continually offend you, the problem is with you, not them.

I have no problem agreeing that there are bad apples in every group. I even condemned on this very forum the outrageous Westboro Baptist and the crazy Arizona pastor. At this point, I don't even know what point you are making beyond taking some cheap shots at my character which is usually the last ditch effort to look superior. Like I said, typical condensending bark.

Quote:

How melodromatic.

You're hardly the only ones 'on the front lines', so you can stop trying to martyr yourself. All I'll say is that if your homophobic Christians-first-and-only attitude is the only weapon you're bringing to the front lines, you're pretty poorly armed.

I never claimed that we were the only ones. But in times of tragedy, most people are thankful that a spiritual leader is available to not only take care of physical needs, but emotional and spiritual as well. It is so comforting when you have a loved one fighting for their life in surgery, and a pastor is right there for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality