Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 10:11 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Why don't they live their life instead of constantly complaining about things that have zero effect on them like Ken Ham's Ark park?
Pardon, but people like Ken Ham playing their little "Today we're a ministry"/"Today we're a themepark" games to avoid running their business on the same terms as everybody else has an effect. What he doesn't pay in taxes has to be made up by others. And establishing a precedent that anyone claiming to run a "ministry" can start playing tax games has wide-ranging consequences.

That being said, people like Ken Ham and AiG are despised because they quote-mine actual scientists in their attempts to simulate a scientific foundation for their claims. It's a dishonest practice.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:05 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Oh please, they are as transplarent as tissue paper. Their websites as links to a whole slew of anti-Christian commentary which have nothing to do with legal battles. Funny that I don't see them attacking other religions. Just take a look at this recent "news" article on their site:

Now please tell me how reporting that a Christian man behaved like a hypocrite as ANYTHING to do with legal battles.

https://ffrf.org/news/news-releases/...-not-surprised
Were they suing him?

Old 07-26-2017, 11:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Pardon, but people like Ken Ham playing their little "Today we're a ministry"/"Today we're a themepark" games to avoid running their business on the same terms as everybody else has an effect. What he doesn't pay in taxes has to be made up by others. And establishing a precedent that anyone claiming to run a "ministry" can start playing tax games has wide-ranging consequences.

That being said, people like Ken Ham and AiG are despised because they quote-mine actual scientists in their attempts to simulate a scientific foundation for their claims. It's a dishonest practice.
I have to be honest. I'm getting a kick out of you guys going nuts over this issue.

Yes--it is a ministry. Yes, it deserves tax exemption. But it's fun to watch you guys overreact.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
The whole Ham/Ark thing is a theatre of the absurd.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:36 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I have to be honest. I'm getting a kick out of you guys going nuts over this issue.

Yes--it is a ministry. Yes, it deserves tax exemption. But it's fun to watch you guys overreact.
How can you claim that his Ark is a ministry? How can you defend him trying to get out of his legal obligations? I wonder how much some Christians respect honesty and ethics if they support anytime another Christian try tipping people off. If the Ark was a ministry it was illegible for all the public funds etc that it obtained under its contract with the State.

One of the reasons many do not think that churches should have tax exception is the manner in which businesses, invert mentioned property and mansions are declared as part of a ministry. A church and an appropriate house is quite different from amusement parks or multi millionaire mansions and yet certain religious people think that all a person has to do is claim it is for God and they should be able to avoid paying their fare share. Hamm had a choice, claim it as a ministry and pay back the funds or keep it the way it was and pay his fees. Funny how you think that because he is a Christian he is allowed to cheat.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:37 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
How can you claim that his Ark is a ministry? How can you defend him trying to get out of his legal obligations?
What legal obligation?

Old 07-26-2017, 12:38 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:

It's a ministry until they want to get special tax incentives for being a for-profit company. Its a scam.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:43 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
What legal obligation?
What was in his contract to pay the percentage towards the cost of public services such as fire and policing. The obligation in which he tried to get out of by selling the business for ten dollars even though the change of ownership contravention his contract. When one signs a contract to obtain funds or tax concessions, the party receiving the funds gas an obligation to fulfill their part of the contract. Perhaps you did not think it was important enough to read the links to news articles and the government's position.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

That's why they are called 'Liars For Jesus'.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:05 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Yes--it is a ministry.
Not any more, at least according to Ken Ham. But what does he know?

Quote:
Yes, it deserves tax exemption.
- because? The surrounding community should be happy to provide emergency services for free because Jesus? You're not making a great case for Christians being good neighbors here. Do you seriously feel that $10 transactions to and from a ministry held by Ken Ham's wife is an act of upstanding morality?

Fun Fact: Noah himself would be disqualified from employment at the Ark for religious reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality