Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 01:34 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I NEVER posted that you said those exact words. Besides if you don't believe that then what do you believe?

Did I say you did? My beliefs are somewhat complicated, being that I am on the agnostic side of things. I don't think it can't be verified either way, and all we can do is go with the evidence we have before us. Fact is, whether you like it or not, there is more evidence to suggest evolution is true than there is to suggest your version of God is real.

Personally, I am an agnostic because I don't have the arrogance to presume I know how things came to be. Could it have been a God of some sort? Sure. Could it have been your version of God? Sure. It could also be anyone else's version, or that we came to be without a God. No one really knows. All we have to go on is evidence, and a book written a few thousand years ago by ignorant, primitive people is not what I call good evidence, and that is ALL you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It's obvious that you will disagree with anything I post. All you demonstrate here is that your understanding of reality is ONLY that with which you can overlay present day civilization and have it match up. What if we had never discovered dinosaur fossils? You might be saying well only stupid people would believe in a book that talks about giant beasts roaming the land. And why is the notion of talking animals so ridiculous? Aren't humans just another species of animal and yet we talk? Funny how evolution just decide to give this gift to ONLY one species out of thousands. You should be thankful that you were not born a fish.
I disagree with all sorts of things Jeff. You make it sound like you are important or something. In reality, I argue with people all over these boards, and have discussions with people of differing beliefs in person. I am a very opinionated person. Sorry if that bothers you... Pssstt...Actually, I'm not!

If we had never discovered a single fossil, it would be stupid to believe it. Do you believe in Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster? After all, there are tales almost as old as the written language talking about such things. Why do you not believe in those, assuming you don't?

If you have to ask "why is the notion of talking animals so ridiculous?", it proves you know nothing of biology. Pick up a textbook, take a class, research online and you can figure out for yourself why it is ridiculous. I know you think humans are sooooo super important, but there are a lot of animals out there that have traits that none other have. It doesn't mean "Godunnit!"

Old 07-28-2017, 09:16 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,047,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Did I say you did? My beliefs are somewhat complicated, being that I am on the agnostic side of things. I don't think it can't be verified either way, and all we can do is go with the evidence we have before us. Fact is, whether you like it or not, there is more evidence to suggest evolution is true than there is to suggest your version of God is real.

Personally, I am an agnostic because I don't have the arrogance to presume I know how things came to be. Could it have been a God of some sort? Sure. Could it have been your version of God? Sure. It could also be anyone else's version, or that we came to be without a God. No one really knows. All we have to go on is evidence, and a book written a few thousand years ago by ignorant, primitive people is not what I call good evidence, and that is ALL you have.

I disagree with all sorts of things Jeff. You make it sound like you are important or something. In reality, I argue with people all over these boards, and have discussions with people of differing beliefs in person. I am a very opinionated person. Sorry if that bothers you... Pssstt...Actually, I'm not!

If we had never discovered a single fossil, it would be stupid to believe it. Do you believe in Bigfoot or the Loch Ness monster? After all, there are tales almost as old as the written language talking about such things. Why do you not believe in those, assuming you don't?

If you have to ask "why is the notion of talking animals so ridiculous?", it proves you know nothing of biology. Pick up a textbook, take a class, research online and you can figure out for yourself why it is ridiculous. I know you think humans are sooooo super important, but there are a lot of animals out there that have traits that none other have. It doesn't mean "Godunnit!"

It doesn't mean He didn't, either. Peace

Old 08-01-2017, 12:12 AM

205 posts, read 409,887 times
I rather go see Bill Nye.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:56 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,047,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse977 View Post
I rather go see Bill Nye.
I love Bill Nye. Watched his show with my kids.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:19 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I love Bill Nye. Watched his show with my kids.
You mean Bill Nye the "engineering dude posing as a scientist"?

Old 08-01-2017, 11:53 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You mean Bill Nye the "engineering dude posing as a scientist"?
Actually he never claims to be a scientist. But he is a science teacher in the general sense. He takes the work of scientists and makes that information understandable as well as interesting to the layperson. When he does make a blunder scientists will let him know and he will make a c9rrection. There are lots of science communicators who are not scientists but write books, articles have science programs etc.

Just another case of a Christian ignoring the ninth commandment in an attempt to discredit a person they do not agree with. Nye never claims that he is a scientist, even the name of his former show makes no claim that he is a scientist. But you might take Ken Ham's word that almost all of science is wrong, that there is no evidence for evolution, that almost all we know about geology, geography, biogeography, archeology, prehistory, physics and atmospheric science and that Ham knows more about all those subjects than all the scientists over the last two hundred years. I will take people like Bill Nye, Bob MacDonald and Jay Ingram who study what the scientists claim, interview scientists and share their passions and knowledge with ithers. And you can misrepresent or lie about him all you want and I will still take them over Ham or yourself.

I have heard him on several TV shows and on YouTube stating that he is not a scientist but an engineer and that he not only loves science but appreciates the dedication of scientists. He is honest about his credentials regardless of what misinformation you wish to spread to satisfy your belief in a God, except your God sort of told you not to do that, or was the death of Jesus also ended those commandments?

Old 08-01-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Actually he never claims to be a scientist. But he is a science teacher in the general sense. He takes the work of scientists and makes that information understandable as well as interesting to the layperson. When he does make a blunder scientists will let him know and he will make a c9rrection. There are lots of science communicators who are not scientists but write books, articles have science programs etc.

Just another case of a Christian ignoring the ninth commandment in an attempt to discredit a person they do not agree with. Nye never claims that he is a scientist, even the name of his former show makes no claim that he is a scientist. But you might take Ken Ham's word that almost all of science is wrong, that there is no evidence for evolution, that almost all we know about geology, geography, biogeography, archeology, prehistory, physics and atmospheric science and that Ham knows more about all those subjects than all the scientists over the last two hundred years. I will take people like Bill Nye, Bob MacDonald and Jay Ingram who study what the scientists claim, interview scientists and share their passions and knowledge with ithers. And you can misrepresent or lie about him all you want and I will still take them over Ham or yourself.

I have heard him on several TV shows and on YouTube stating that he is not a scientist but an engineer and that he not only loves science but appreciates the dedication of scientists. He is honest about his credentials regardless of what misinformation you wish to spread to satisfy your belief in a God, except your God sort of told you not to do that, or was the death of Jesus also ended those commandments?
nah...he just claims to be a "science guy". And he then postulates on matters of science, but of which he has no education.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
nah...he just claims to be a "science guy". And he then postulates on matters of science, but of which he has no education.
Kinda like Matt "The Oil" Slick postulates on Christian matters but turns his daughter into an atheist?

Old 08-01-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Kinda like Matt "The Oil" Slick postulates on Christian matters but turns his daughter into an atheist?
Who?

Old 08-01-2017, 12:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Who?
Yeah, right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality