Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 04:21 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why does one have to have a degree to do that? No other topic requires a degree for discussion on this board.

Bill doesn't have a degree....so how is he qualified?
There are no requirements for degrees in public debates either. Nye accepted the challenge of a debate from Ham, in Ham's own facility. If you don't think that Nye was qualified for the debate than you should be upset with Ham for agreeing to debate an opponent when Ham had such a great advantage of having a degree in a science. Your whole complaint is juvenile and lacking in any sense of what debates are even about. Ham, according to your reasoning, has zero qualifications to discuss fossils, flood geology or radiometric dating with anyone. Case closed, you just want to put Nye down.

According to Wikipedia Ham challenged Nye and AIG refers to Nye as Bill Nye the Science Guy. It is AIG that you should have a grip with.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:05 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
There are a few scientists that speculate that light was indeed faster in the past. But I think they may be speaking about a few percentages faster. For Ham to be correct I am thinking light must of been like a million times faster 6000 years ago. We should be able to be observing that rate of decelerating in our own lifetime.
I had that thought too. I'm not good at figuring out formulas but it shouldn't be that hard for someone that knows what they are doing. If light currently travels @ 9.4607 × 1012 km (nearly 6 trillion miles) per year X 7000 years we have total "light years" possible. We can't for sure know the furthest thing away but for now it's 13.4 billion light years away. * I think there is some rise/run thing but I think that it if slowing it would be slowing at a constant rate and should be observable because 13.4billion/7000 is still a big freaking number.

*Most distant object in the universe spotted by Hubble Space Telescope, shattering record for the farthest known galaxy | The Independent

BaptistFundie, this is how NASA answers a kid's question. Treat a kid like he's too dumb to understand a light year and he will believe he is. That's just one of my objections to Ken Ham.

https://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs...uestion19.html

Old 08-02-2017, 06:13 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Couldn't stay away, eh Viz?

Old 08-03-2017, 12:10 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
I agree.

Can you define "Creationism", please? Many scientists do indeed believe in a Creator.
Define 'science' for me, and we'll compare notes.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:36 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Why does one have to have a degree to do that? No other topic requires a degree for discussion on this board.

Bill doesn't have a degree....so how is he qualified?
Funny that badlander argued earlier how having a degree doesn't mean you are educated on the subject. But now he is really promoting his own educational background.

It doesn't matter. Atheists will never respect the opinion of someone who believes in the Bible regardless of their background.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:40 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Funny that badlander argued earlier how having a degree doesn't mean you are educated on the subject. But now he is really promoting his own educational background.

It doesn't matter. Atheists will never respect the opinion of someone who believes in the Bible regardless of their background.
I've noticed that. I've also noticed many people posting on this board saying all sorts of things about religion, science, and other fields that very likely do NOT have education in those fields.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:42 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:

Quote:
I've noticed that. I've also noticed many people posting on this board saying all sorts of things about religion, science, and other fields that very likely do NOT have education in those fields.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:02 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,407 times
Quote:
I've noticed that you have a bad confirmation bias. You have no problem accepting a few scientists' views, all while ignoring the thousands and thousands of others that disagree with them.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:17 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

No I stated that having a science degree does not make you an expert in all fields of science. I promoted my degrees only because FUNDY kept saying that Ham was qualified because of his degree but Nye is not qualified to be in a debate because his degree is in engineering. So if Ham is an expert because he has a bachelor's than as I do too so I must be an expert. It was my attempt to show him how silly his idea that a single undergraduate degree gave expertise in unrelated fields.

The only Bible Believers I have no respect for are those who lie about stuff and other people to support their beliefs. I certainly do not accept the notion that a person is free to claim that because they are Christian they are moral and therefore get to lie and misrepresent others as much as they want.

Having a bachelor's degree does not make you an expert in your own field and it certainly does not mean that you even have any formal education in any other fields of science. It does give you knowledge and even more importantly, the skill set to understand the scientific method and to be able to evaluate the works of others better than not having that education. My citing of my education was used ONLY to show FUNDY how silly his claims that Ham was qualified to be in a debate but Nye was not.

Remember I have never stated that I would never trust a Christian whereas you are on record as having said you would never trust an atheist. Don't project your prejudices onto me. And a day or so you accused me of saying something I do not recall saying but would not tell me what it was or when I said it so still waiting to find which of my words you twisted.

And on top of all of BaptistFundie complaints that Nye was not qualified to be in that debate and should not be called the science guy, it was Ham who challenged Nye and it was AIG who also called him the Science Guy. And Jeff, you only seem to accept any type of degree as a qualification for both knowledge and intelligence for people who support what you view and readily dismiss those if anyone you disagree with. If you think that a person with a PhD in Math is both more intelligent and also more knowledgeable about fossils and evolution that all those with PhDs in paleontology then I think we will disagree.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:23 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Ken Ham has repeatedly removed himself from being considered a scientist, no matter how many degrees he possesses. During the debate, Bill Nye actually showed himself to be more of a science guy than Ham in answering a simple question. And for those that take umbrage to him being referred to as a "science" guy (of course he has education in the sciences - that was a dumb comment) perhaps Bill being referred to as the "Applied Science Guy" would be more to your liking.

Last edited by PanTerra; 08-03-2017 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.