Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 12:29 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
LOL good one.
Thanks!

Old 08-07-2017, 04:15 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Atheists will never respect the opinion of someone who believes in the Bible regardless of their background.
'Jeffbase40 will never respect the opinion of a non-Christian or an atheist regardless of their background.'

Why are you looking at me like that? You don't.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:46 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
'Jeffbase40 will never respect the opinion of a non-Christian or an atheist regardless of their background.'

Why are you looking at me like that? You don't.
Well let me prove you wrong. I happen to respect Penn's (who is an outspoken atheist) opinion a lot here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6md638smQd8

Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,607,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
No, it's not truth, it's your opinion and it's biased. I put up a list of Jewish mathematicians, most of whom, because they are Jews, believe in a literal OT. So equating intelligence without a literal understanding of the OT, is not a valid reasoning, it's just personal bias. Peace
Did you also post a link showing where they believed in a literal OT? A lot of Jews, from my understanding, are cultural Jews, and may not hold those beliefs. Even still, as I explained to Jeff, I am not talking "book smarts" either. Being good at math is "book smarts". Now, if you are an "expert" in science, and believe in a literal Bible, you are either using science to try and bolster your belief (in other words, you are misrepresenting things), or you are not "applying" your knowledge, meaning you are not intelligent, as per the definition.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well let me prove you wrong. I happen to respect Penn's (who is an outspoken atheist) opinion a lot here:

Do you still respect his opinion when he says things like the below??? This is just a small sampling...

“If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again.”

“What I have a problem with is not so much religion or god, but faith. When you say you believe something in your heart and therefore you can act on it, you have completely justified the 9/11 bombers. You have justified Charlie Manson. If it's true for you, why isn't it true for them? Why are you different? If you say "I believe there's an all-powerful force of love in the universe that connects us all, and I have no evidence of that but I believe it in my heart," then it's perfectly okay to believe in your heart that Sharon Tate deserves to die. It's perfectly okay to believe in your heart that you need to fly planes into buildings for Allah.”

“Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.”

“Believing there's no God means I can't really be forgiven except by kindness and faulty memories. That's good; it makes me want to be more thoughtful. I have to try to treat people right the first time around”

“It's not arrogant to say that you can't figure out the answers to the universe with your internal faith. It's not arrogant to know that there's no omniscient, omnipotent prime mover in the universe who loves you personally. It's not sad to feel that life and the love of your real friends and family is more than enough to make life worth living. Isn't it much sadder to feel that there is a more important love required than the love of the people who have chosen to spend their limited time with you?”

Old 08-08-2017, 10:21 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,047,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Did you also post a link showing where they believed in a literal OT? A lot of Jews, from my understanding, are cultural Jews, and may not hold those beliefs. Even still, as I explained to Jeff, I am not talking "book smarts" either. Being good at math is "book smarts". Now, if you are an "expert" in science, and believe in a literal Bible, you are either using science to try and bolster your belief (in other words, you are misrepresenting things), or you are not "applying" your knowledge, meaning you are not intelligent, as per the definition.

What you're doing, is moving the line in the sand, and convinces no one. Peace

Old 08-08-2017, 11:01 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,661 times
Quote:
It doesn't convince you. Quite a difference.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:06 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Not moving the line but asking for evidence to back your claim. Your own link only showed that these people were Jewish and we're good at math. Nothing about how religious they wrre, if they had any knowledge about geology or paleontology, if they believed the Bible was literal or not or any other evidence to support your claim.

You are essentially claiming that you can claim anything you want and no one is allowed to question your claim. GOOGLING Judaism and evolution you find that even a thousand years ago some Rabbis thought the world a billion years old and that after Darwin others said that evolution did not contradict Jusaism. Why not believe the rabbis over what you think some Mathematicians might have thought?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:12 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Do you still respect his opinion when he says things like the below??? This is just a small sampling...

“If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again.”

“What I have a problem with is not so much religion or god, but faith. When you say you believe something in your heart and therefore you can act on it, you have completely justified the 9/11 bombers. You have justified Charlie Manson. If it's true for you, why isn't it true for them? Why are you different? If you say "I believe there's an all-powerful force of love in the universe that connects us all, and I have no evidence of that but I believe it in my heart," then it's perfectly okay to believe in your heart that Sharon Tate deserves to die. It's perfectly okay to believe in your heart that you need to fly planes into buildings for Allah.”

“Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.”

“Believing there's no God means I can't really be forgiven except by kindness and faulty memories. That's good; it makes me want to be more thoughtful. I have to try to treat people right the first time around”

“It's not arrogant to say that you can't figure out the answers to the universe with your internal faith. It's not arrogant to know that there's no omniscient, omnipotent prime mover in the universe who loves you personally. It's not sad to feel that life and the love of your real friends and family is more than enough to make life worth living. Isn't it much sadder to feel that there is a more important love required than the love of the people who have chosen to spend their limited time with you?”

The false statement was that I will never respect the opinion of an atheist. I don't agree with a lot of what Penn says, but I gave a clear example where I do agree and respect his opinion on a particular topic.

OTOH, I have never seen an atheist give credit to a Bible believing Christian.

"

Old 08-08-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
How so? That has been my stance since the beginning. I have changed nothing. There is a difference between "book smarts" and intelligence. Take an example from my high school... Yes it is anecdotal, but I am using it merely as an example....

I went to school with a guy who made straight A's. Honor roll student his entire time there. Finished in the top 10-15 students in our class of 600+ people. He went to college, got a degree in geology, if I am not mistaken, and made straight A's there too. Even went back and got his Master's. He currently works for Garmin doing something with GPS mapping.

He also once asked me what Obama's last name was. In high school, he asked if he could fail a drug test if he ate pot cooked into something as opposed to smoking it. He thought the smoke is what casued the failed test. One time the knob that turned his radio volume up and down in his car came off, and he couldn't figure out how to get it to work. All you had to do was twist the little knob thing that remained, or just stick the knob back on, since it wasn't actually broken, just pulled off. I have seen him order a cheeseburger, with no cheese. He once "locked himself out" of his car, which had the passenger side window rolled down. I have heard him ask a girl who went to a Baptist church if she was a Christian. I heard him ask a guy who was of Native American heritage we went to college with, if he was Hindu. He didn't get the difference between India Indian, and American Indian.

I could go on, but the point is, retaining things you are taught in school long enough to make A's in your classes, does not make one intelligent in all respects. I mean, I love the guy to death, and he is still good friend with my husband and I, but he is the personification of a dumb blonde, even though he isn't blonde, yet he has a master's degree. Being very smart in a specific field, does not make you intelligent in regards to other fields either.
Point is, my point has remained the same. It seems to be you and Jeff who are having trouble seeing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality