Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2017, 12:13 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Just wanted to point out it was pitched between the boards/joints. Peace
Oh, fer shure that would make all the difference!

Like putting a bandaid on an amputated leg would stop all the bleeding!

Old 08-11-2017, 12:21 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Just wanted to point out it was pitched between the boards/joints. Peace
All wooden ships are caulked, it's an absolute condition for them being seaworthy at all. They still make water when they flex.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You again are making the mistake to think that more people = truth. So what if the biggest denomination accepts it? They supposedly think God spoke and created the universe, but that he had to use the cruel process of evolution? Yeah...that makes sense.
I am making no mistake. I am pointing out that the RCC plus many many Protestant churches accept the findings of science rather than calling a most every single scientists anti God, bias and dishonest. I have to idea what you mean by evolution being cruel. I am sure that like Jeff you can justifying the drowning of millions of people and tens if billions of animals as a sign of mercy by your God, yes all those wicked babies and bunnies you claim he createdneeded to be drowned for love. Not a very nice story and one in which physics, geology, archeology, biology, biogeography and rational thinking all show zero evidence to back it.

Remember the next time one of your religious fellows declares belief in God and uses the greater number of believers over non believers to tell them more people do not equal truth. Creationists already had their time in court to try to prove ID is a science let alone true and they lost.

It appears that the majority of fundamentalist do not like gay rights but a small number wishes gays be executed. This too would be an example I would use of those wanting death to the gays are not representitive of the entire group.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
This.

ALL wooden ships leak because of the flexing. The problems would be multiple. The amount of rain falling would be its very nature cause waves. There is no way around that. As such, flexing would be accentuated. It always is. Ask anyone who has owned a wooden sailboat. I was on one built in 1928 just a week ago, and the amount of maintenance and upkeep is horrendous, even though the boat was seaworthy.

The owner advised of leaking which was his major concern. He has an 3 different electric pumps on his 42 foot sailboat just to keep up. Can you imagine the amount of pumps, and the volume they would have to get rid of on a daily basis on an Ark? Never mind all the animal dung produced, the methane that would accumulate as there was no ventilation.

Anyone who has been in an intensive livestock operation building can tell you the amount of ventilation that is required to ensure that the animals do not die to to lack of oxygen. There is no way the Ark could provide that with the description provided.

It is just a fantasy, and all laws of nature would have to be suspended, to envision how it could survive any amount of time, float, and have the animals not die. There are just too many holes in the myth for it to be reality. I only mentioned some here.

And, "goddunit" ain't the answer.
The same suspension of all the laws of nature to explain the means of raining that amout, of the water receding and for a lost all of the sediments reportedly left. Too much need to believe no matter what .

Old 08-11-2017, 01:21 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
You again are making the mistake to think that more people = truth. So what if the biggest denomination accepts it? They supposedly think God spoke and created the universe, but that he had to use the cruel process of evolution? Yeah...that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense. An instant of creation and the universe starts ticking along the predetermined lines, each event following the next as per the laws inherent in the universe from the moment it started. The Creator can lean back and watch as age follows age, all per the initial conditions he put into the nucleus that gave birth to it all. It's elegant.

I don't believe it - to be precise, I consider it unknowable - but that would be a creator that knew perfection. To have things ticking along as per the plans he built into it, for billions and billions of years, without having to intervene.

A perfect machine keeps running without intervention, a perfect computation arrives at its result with minimum initial data. The idea that a Perfect Supreme Being would have to personally tinker to get his creation to keep going is just - unsatisfactory. Then you might as well go with the Greek pantheon, they at least took a personal interest.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:02 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,661 times
Quote:
And yet...

And yet...

One of the loudest arguments in support of 'Christianity is The Truth' is based entirely on the number of people in the world who profess to be Christians. I can't help but feel that you're holding us to a double-standard, here. 'Christianity is the biggest religion, so it must be truth'. 'More people != truth'.

Which statement is accurate?

Old 08-11-2017, 02:48 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
And yet...

And yet...

One of the loudest arguments in support of 'Christianity is The Truth' is based entirely on the number of people in the world who profess to be Christians. I can't help but feel that you're holding us to a double-standard, here. 'Christianity is the biggest religion, so it must be truth'. 'More people != truth'.

Which statement is accurate?
I've never made that argument that it's the biggest, therefore it's true. That is a lousy argument and has no basis in truth.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:07 PM

In Google g the Ark s attendance it seems pretty universal that it was for the first full year over the one million mark. Promoters are claiming that attendance exceeded expectations and distractors are saying that it has fallen way short of the original projections of 1.5 to 2.5 million. In my own thinking, without going into the original prospectus or grant applications it appears that the Ark is, so far, neither a runaway success nor a dismal failure. And of course I don't know their balance sheet either.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I've never made that argument that it's the biggest, therefore it's true. That is a lousy argument and has no basis in truth.
And I have yet to make it either.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:36 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,661 times
Quote:
And I never claimed that you did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality