Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 10:56 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
That's a powerful point, L8. I hadn't looked at it like that, but I think you're absolutely correct.
8 think that is what those bilboards were addressing, the genocide museum. I have visited one Holocaust site/Museum in Austria and it was an extremely somber and sad experience. But on the bright side we have been told on this very forum that all those babies who were drown were going to grow up extremely wicked. I am not sure the same was said of the bunnies, kittens and puppies but according to many Christians God had no choice but to drown the babies, for their own good.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:42 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
In your mind it looks that way. In my mind dehumanizing people and believing they are worthy of a violent death is the same however you do it. I won't go along with it no matter the authority presented to me (rebel spirit..yes I know). You can help me understand by explaining why you believe nearly every sentient being on the earth should have been destroyed. I'd like to see your thought process on that because it seems bizarre to me.
You sure you want to go there?

Old 08-13-2017, 12:54 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
You sure you want to go there?
Yes. I would like to know. Like I said before I have always identified as "worldly" so I thought God was going to destroy me at Armageddon. I lived decades believing that in order for the earth to be a paradise people like me had to go. I actually took comfort in the idea that at least after my death, there would be no more suffering ever for the people left. I believe any of us would give our lives for that. Why would God destroy these people is why God would destroy me.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:09 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
In your mind it looks that way. In my mind dehumanizing people and believing they are worthy of a violent death is the same however you do it. I won't go along with it no matter the authority presented to me (rebel spirit..yes I know). You can help me understand by explaining why you believe nearly every sentient being on the earth should have been destroyed. I'd like to see your thought process on that because it seems bizarre to me.
And he named him Noah, saying, "This one will give us rest from our work and from the toil of our hands from the ground, which the Lord has cursed."

The paralel here is the generation of rest, from what I have read. The curse of thistles and thorns ended. And now a time of blessing was at hand. Yet when favor was given what did the people do?

Bless those that curse you?

When the wicked curse the Most High.
They recieve a reward.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:09 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:

Why is the concept that HE is G-d, HE created us, and therefore HE can establish whatever rules He wants, do whatever He wants, hard to grasp, it seems? He does with He wants, with who He wants, anytime He wants, any way He wants, and He is completely independent and sovereign of any input on it. If He was NOT, then He would not be G-d, aka number 1.

If you have any doubts about who is in control may I suggest that you do a word study on all the names in the bible, including persons, places and things, that just "happen" to tell a story throughout thousands of years; HIS story in fact, which is clearly IMPOSSIBLE if He had not done it? Seriously. I'm not being snarky here, that is something I did in the very beginning and it was an eye opener.

And the story is always the same; soul separated from Spirit, and His extraordinary long term plan to reunite all back to Him. WHO are we to questions His methods, as it's obvious from the revealed ending, we all win in the end, even those whose flesh was slain, just like the man Paul turned over to Satan for the destruction of his flesh that his spirit might be saved, a concept Paul understood very well but seems to be lacking in much of the body. Peace

Old 08-13-2017, 01:17 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Why is the concept that HE is G-d, HE created us, and therefore HE can establish whatever rules He wants, do whatever He wants, hard to grasp, it seems? He does with He wants, with who He wants, anytime He wants, any way He wants, and He is completely independent and sovereign of any input on it. If He was NOT, then He would not be G-d, aka number 1.

If you have any doubts about who is in control may I suggest that you do a word study on all the names in the bible, including persons, places and things, that just "happen" to tell a story throughout thousands of years; HIS story in fact, which is clearly IMPOSSIBLE if He had not done it? Seriously. I'm not being snarky here, that is something I did in the very beginning and it was an eye opener.

And the story is always the same; soul separated from Spirit, and His extraordinary long term plan to reunite all back to Him. WHO are we to questions His methods, as it's obvious from the revealed ending, we all win in the end, even those whose flesh was slain, just like the man Paul turned over to Satan for the destruction of his flesh that his spirit might be saved, a concept Paul understood very well but seems to be lacking in much of the body. Peace
Your g-d is evil incarnate - plain and simple.

Or would be, if it existed.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:

If you have any doubts about who is in control may I suggest that you do a word study on all the names in the bible, including persons, places and things, that just "happen" to tell a story throughout thousands of years; HIS story in fact, which is clearly IMPOSSIBLE if He had not done it. And the story is always the same; soul separated from Spirit, and His extraordinary long term plan to reunite all back to Him. WHO are we to questions His methods, as it's obvious from the revealed ending, we all win in the end, even those whose flesh was slain, just like the man Paul turned over to Satan for the destruction of his flesh that his spirit might be saved. Peace
I hear you saying the same thing I've heard growing up. It's correct because God did it. In my mind it looks more like: it's not correct therefore God didn't do it. This isn't an issue of control as I see it. I realize I have no control over anything. I was willing to accept my death rather than trying to be something I'm not (one of the 8 in Noah's day or one of the very few standing at the narrow gate now). Why fight it right?

Old 08-13-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
And he named him Noah, saying, "This one will give us rest from our work and from the toil of our hands from the ground, which the Lord has cursed."

The paralel here is the generation of rest, from what I have read. The curse of thistles and thorns ended. And now a time of blessing was at hand. Yet when favor was given what did the people do?

Bless those that curse you?

When the wicked curse the Most High.
They recieve a reward.
You have a metaphorical way of writing. Sometimes I don't get everything you type. Are you saying that if I disagree with the justice of a Biblical flood story I am cursing God? I've already confronted "God" on this matter (among many of the other things I was taught to believe). When I did I turned the key and lost my fear. Was that my reward? No fear in love?

Old 08-13-2017, 01:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:

To me it is the concept that you can accept the idea that he can do anything he wants to is not only justified simply because he wanted to do it but that you can also claim that he is moral and that we get our morality from him. I believe that if your God actually did exist, he could make it more clear what is true and what are stories teaching a lesson.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:26 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
I hear you saying the same thing I've heard growing up. It's correct because God did it. In my mind it looks more like: it's not correct therefore God didn't do it. This isn't an issue of control as I see it. I realize I have no control over anything. I was willing to accept my death rather than trying to be something I'm not (one of the 8 in Noah's day or one of the very few standing at the narrow gate now). Why fight it right?

The 8 was symbolic anyway, as all of it is. I understand why you think that way, I really do. I had worse thoughts probably, before when I was an agnostic till I was 30. I laid down the flesh of those thoughts to see the Word as He sees it, to be fed the hidden manna, the spiritual food it contains. Blessings...and Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.