Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 07:12 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Boy you really have some thing against Ken Ham. It was a work day, you know.
We shall see how it goes at the weekend, then. Ken Ham and his work is a prominent prong of the Creationist campaign. If anything more needs saying, it is pointless saying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Atheists are such hypocrites. You accuse Christians of improperly spending money yet Atheists spend tons of money on billboards around the country making fun of God and the Bible.
That's because atheism is true and Creationism isn't. That's why we are not being hypocritical. Think, now, before you come back with kneejerk denial, what I have in reserve.
Quote:
I didn't ask you.
Nanu. But you did say " you Atheists spend tons of money on billboards around the country making fun of God and the Bible." You forgot to add "You are forbidden to respond to what I say".

Old 07-09-2016, 08:09 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Disney has more imagination. Ken Hamm? Not so much.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:22 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
What ever floats your boat!

Old 07-09-2016, 08:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
No. The Ark is frankly dull, going by the photos. What you really need are the animals! Not real ones, let's not be unreasonable. Even if Eusebius' poop removing conveyor -belt was feasible, there is no global flood to dump it into. No, life size mock ups and mechanical and animal noises. What fun. Especially if Ken believes the dinosaurs, prehistoric mammals, prehistoric reptiles and amphibians, prehistoric insects and prehistoric plants (2) were all on the Ark, too. if he can put all those on display even as plastic replicas, I'd be tempted to visit myself.

P.s "And there will be only about 30 pairs of stuffed animals on the Ark Encounter because there just isn’t enough space. “We have to have dozens and dozens of bathrooms for visitors. Noah didn’t have to have that,” Mr. Chaffey said." NY Times

Fifty! Jizzuz! No Thirty??!! And hasn't Ken thought of building the Johns and Janes outside? (1) It would be interesting to see just which crittas he selected as "Baryma" (a sort of number -reducing proto critter from which all the other "Kinds" evolved at lightning speed after being released from the Ark, though why is a mystery as there wasn't a damn' thing for them to eat).

Of course you have to have all the prehistoric species drowned in the Flood, so they all had to be on the Ark, unless one Interprets it to mean 'take two of each potential species" Not the actual species. which would work better than trying to pretend that the Allosaur, Gigantosaurus and T Rex were really all the same "Kind". Ken Hamm ought to have hired me as an advisor, but then it is Creation Museum company...since attempts to make it a tax -free charity failed, I recall...never to hire anyone but a Christian Fundamentalist creationist.

(2) There's a case that the fish even needed to be on the Ark - have you seen the massed fossils of prehistoric fish supposed to be proof of the Flood? It wasn't a safe place. And the sea -dwelling mammals surely should have been on the Ark. Where's the "Whale - kind" tank?

(1) or where the Food would be stored??? What a piddling putrid feeble excuse. I'm almost annoyed now because such a wretched "Explanation' seems to show contempt for the people he's trying to fool.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-09-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-09-2016, 08:48 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
After scamming the Kentucky taxpayer out of over $18 million for a tax incentive to help fund the hugely overpriced $100 million dollar project by promising it would bring 2 million visitors a year, each who pay $40 to enter the 'Ark", only about 4,000 showed up on opening day, many as VIP invitees.
I really, really cannot believe this (any portion of it!) was funded with taxpayer money. I mean...what the...

Well, as far as attendance goes, if 4000 people show up every day, and the place is open 365 days per year, and the daily 4000 attendees don't include non-paying invited guests, VIPs, etc., they'd see 1,460,000 visitors per year, so they'll have to do a little better than 4000 visitors per day every single day of the year to hit that 2 million mark.

I wish them, and the taxpayers of Kentucky, the best of luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If I were an investor, I'd be deeply uneasy.
I honestly don't claim to know where all the funding for this facility came from, but apparently a good bit of it came out of the paychecks of the citizens of the state of Kentucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I sincerely believe that Ken Hamm himself doesn't believe the baseless nonsense he spews. I truly don't think he does. He's found a niche where he gets to stir up controversy and get his face on TV and generate media coverage and so on, while lining his pockets. I reckon he is laughing all the way to the bank. Laughing, that is, at his followers and the people who support his BS and agenda.

He's no different than any other scheister TV evangelist we've seen for decades. He's not a theologian, nor a philosopher. He's a celebrity cashing in on the ignorance of others.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:03 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
It's all about the money $$$$$......

Old 07-09-2016, 09:07 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Boy you really have some thing against Ken Ham. It was a work day, you know.
Ken Ham is a jerk, and should be returned to his country of birth.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Ken Ham is a jerk, and should be returned to his country of birth.
He's probably considered far more of a national embarrassment over there.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:13 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,803,401 times
Default Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes

Quote:
Atheists are such hypocrites. You accuse Christians of improperly spending money yet Atheists spend tons of money on billboards around the country making fun of God and the Bible.
Christians have a doctrine & theology - which emphasizes believers & individuals (& the state of their souls) over buildings & the stuff of the World. Jesus famously chased the money changers out of the Temple - not because he was against finance, but because He found it inappropriate to conduct trade in the Temple.

If atheists truly don't believe in God, they can't be making fun of God. Maybe they're making fun of the concept of a God, or the perceived need for a God. & certainly the Bible exists in history - that's the crux of the atheist stance on the Bible, as far as I know.

The real question is whether the various activities by the parties fit into their doctrine. Christians are enjoined to share the faith & minister to the World. Acts of the Apostles gives a summary of instruction - Christians are to live their lives in such a way as to be an example to the unbelievers, & so attract those who search for values beyond the World. Putting up an Ark replica & theme park @ $40/person - doesn't strike me an effective missionary activity, nor a good use of resources. (For comparison, Disney World maxes out @ $124/day.)

If the atheists put up billboards announcing their stance on religion - that seems to be perfectly in accord with what they believe.

If the criticism of Christians spending money on apparently unimportant sideshows is based on Christian doctrine itself, it seems to be a fair criticism. Likewise, if you want to make a telling criticism of atheism, it needs to be based on the core doctrine of atheism.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
...if you want to make a telling criticism of atheism, it needs to be based on the core doctrine of atheism.
The only "core doctrine" of atheism is the non-belief in deities. That's it.

As far as churches, mega-churches, wealthy pastors, etc. It seems, according to The Bible, Jesus never needed a church, or money for that matter.

Even among early Christians, gatherings were held most often in homes of this or that person in the community of those who followed the teachings of Jesus.

Why would a church need grand architecture, or its leaders need a lot of property? Shouldn't the money instead go to help the less fortunate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality