Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Especially since Jews and Muslims believe in Noah's adventure as much as Christians do.
Most Jews I know consider stuff in the Torah to be morality tales and parables, not be taken literally.

That still leaves Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, Shintoists, etc. out in cold without any hope at being hired for a job at Mr. Ham's tourist attraction.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:27 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
I think the biggest flaw with this concept is that I just don't see where they're going to draw attendees from. The only major cities close enough to make it a day trip would be Cincinnati, Louisville, and Lexington, if you can even call Lex a major city. Most of the region is rural, and while it's packed to the rafters with christian fundamentalists, most of them are so poor they consider dirt a delicacy. Eastern Kentucky is one of the most deeply impoverished regions of North America; nobody here has $150 to bring their family to something like this. So obviously, in order to hit 2 million people a year, they're going to need to draw heavily from outside the immediate area.

Since there aren't any major tourist attractions within hundreds of miles of the place, that means that for most people it's a destination trip rather than part of a larger vacation. Most people who are attending the Ark Encounter are probably coming mainly (or even exclusively) to see the Ark. At $150 a day for a family of 4, plus hotels, gas, and other travel expenses, how many people are going to think this monstrosity is worth a multi-day trip to the wastelands of Northeastern Kentucky?

I don't understand how they added this up and came to the word "go." Who did their marketing studies? Even the deeply religious people I know here in Kentucky are just aghast - they think it's crazy to think that many people are going to spend that much money to travel that far to see a giant fake boat.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:01 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Good point, Albert. If the Noah's Ark is on an interstate, there will no shortage of visitors. They could be like a religious-based Jurassic Park, except you know, with Kim Davis riding a dinosaur.

Quote:
No, no, no. You have it all wrong!

It was the gay dinosaur and unicorn couple. We still have penguins, but the other two, alas, are no longer with us.
D'oh! I stand corrected.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:16 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I think the biggest flaw with this concept is that I just don't see where they're going to draw attendees from. The only major cities close enough to make it a day trip would be Cincinnati, Louisville, and Lexington, if you can even call Lex a major city. Most of the region is rural, and while it's packed to the rafters with christian fundamentalists, most of them are so poor they consider dirt a delicacy. Eastern Kentucky is one of the most deeply impoverished regions of North America; nobody here has $150 to bring their family to something like this. So obviously, in order to hit 2 million people a year, they're going to need to draw heavily from outside the immediate area.

Since there aren't any major tourist attractions within hundreds of miles of the place, that means that for most people it's a destination trip rather than part of a larger vacation. Most people who are attending the Ark Encounter are probably coming mainly (or even exclusively) to see the Ark. At $150 a day for a family of 4, plus hotels, gas, and other travel expenses, how many people are going to think this monstrosity is worth a multi-day trip to the wastelands of Northeastern Kentucky?

I don't understand how they added this up and came to the word "go." Who did their marketing studies? Even the deeply religious people I know here in Kentucky are just aghast - they think it's crazy to think that many people are going to spend that much money to travel that far to see a giant fake boat.
Agreed, and frankly, no one would care if tax payers' dollars were not involved. If the faithful want to pour $$$ into something which plays to their particular fantasy, go for it. But to expect the severally normal citizen to contribute to that monstrosity, is wrong.

I think their projections are, or at least what they say publicly, 1.4 million people a year (only last December he said 1.6 million, see screenshot below. The man can't even keep his story straight). That means they need to draw their opening day crowd of 4000 EVERY DAY of the year.

Ain't gonna happen. Ham's Creation Museum gets about 300,000/year. Need a citation? How about a screen shot of his website, back in Dec 2015:

He's dreaming in technicolor. Either that, or smoking whatever those itinerant goat herders did who dreamt up the story as they sat around their campfires. First of all, the two venues are 45 miles apart, and secondly, what makes him think the Ark Encounter is a bigger attraction than his "creative science" museum?

The taxpayer got bilked.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:18 PM

2,657 posts, read 1,375,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I don't know what "real world" you are living in, but in my city there are 7 major new hotels under construction right now. Seven. The biggest and grandest with be the 50 story W / Element hotel. Why would we require a couple of thousand new hotel rooms that we didn't have just a few years ago? Could it be that 2015 broke all records for tourism in this city's history? Cruise ship companies are not struggling. Disney is not struggling. Six Flags is not struggling. Beach resorts are not struggling.

Back on topic: the one thing that bothered me about this project is the fact that to be employed at this attraction you had to profess religious beliefs exactly conforming with the administrations. That means no Jews, no Buddhists, no Hindus need apply. If they want to discriminate then how do they dare apply for taxpayer funding? I mean not all taxpayers conform to Ken Ham's personal religious beliefs.
Many people seem to want to believe that we are in the middle of a modern Great Depression.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:25 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Some do. Others don't. I think what Jeff is talking about is the notion of natural selection. When finches with longer beaks survived and the short-beaked finches died, Darwin assumed they were evolving longer beaks to reach seeds. When food became more abundant, finches with shorter beaks survived and reproduced more. They were still birds, and they did not evolve.....
The ignorance of fundamentalists.

Quote:
He's probably an anti-theist in real life, and amazed how long he has been able to keep his schtick going on CD.
There is no doubt in my mind. That's why I call him 'Edgar'.

Quote:
Yes. We believe in natural selection. But a bird does not evolve into a frog or vice versa.
More staggering fundy ignorance.

Quote:
Why would we assume that koalas were the same animal at the time of the flood and that their diets were that specialized?
Why would they not be? You're the one claiming that evolution just can't happen...so if that is true then they must be the same now as they were then. No evolution... remember.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:02 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Most Jews I know consider stuff in the Torah to be morality tales and parables, not be taken literally.

That still leaves Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, Shintoists, etc. out in cold without any hope at being hired for a job at Mr. Ham's tourist attraction.
Why would any of them want to work at an institution whose very purpose is hostile to their beliefs? Especially the Japanese Shintoists They are generally a proud lot.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:50 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

It's no wonder that you are very confused and don't possess the ability to follow a discussion.

I popped into this thread and read the last page and there you were making ignorant statements about Evolution. Post #114

I stepped in and corrected you. You then came back with your typical childish behavior and not only accused me of derailing the thread with Evolution but went on your typical ignorant rant about Evolution.

Now do you understand why I said you brought it up first in our exchange in this thread?

I expect nothing more than a very infantile response from you.
Moderator cut: We don't need any help moderating the forum.

What I like about Ham's ark is that it shows people just how huge the original ark was. It puts into perspective how possible it was to house the animals and food and family on the ark. It undermines the atheistic brainwashing in school people have had about the Bible.

I thought the one poster, Geekgirl, in post 341, stated it well when she said in response to how many showed up opening day to Ham's Ark: Well, look at it this way, they were only 8 last time!

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-13-2016 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Attempting to override moderation

Old 07-13-2016, 07:31 AM

261 posts, read 156,683 times
It is highly unlikely the Noah story is anymore than a myth. I doubt they would have had the capability to build a craft of the supposed size of the ark in those days. As for the world submerging flood there is no evidence to support it. At best they probably had a regional flood.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
It is highly unlikely the Noah story is anymore than a myth. I doubt they would have had the capability to build a craft of the supposed size of the ark in those days. As for the world submerging flood there is no evidence to support it. At best they probably had a regional flood.
And what does this have to do with Ken Ham's Opening Day at the Ark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.