Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 07:36 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

What I like about Ham's ark is that it shows people just how huge the original ark was. It puts into perspective how possible it was to house the animals and food and family on the ark. It undermines the atheistic brainwashing in school people have had about the Bible.
Yes, it does put into perspective exactly how possible it was.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Yes, it does put into perspective exactly how possible it was.
Right on

Old 07-13-2016, 07:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: We don't need any help moderating the forum.

What I like about Ham's ark is that it shows people just how huge the original ark was. It puts into perspective how possible it was to house the animals and food and family on the ark. It undermines the atheistic brainwashing in school people have had about the Bible.

I thought the one poster, Geekgirl, in post 341, stated it well when she said in response to how many showed up opening day to Ham's Ark: Well, look at it this way, they were only 8 last time!
Thanks Mod Moderator cut: edit .

And anything will do as we see here, since a neat little quip "Only eight last time" is grabbed with both hands as a straw, if not a strawman, as though it seriously offset what at least looks like a poor start to the expensive Hamm's Folly.

Moderator cut: deleted old mate, such panicky attempts to make a case just damage your credibility, which is pretty much in negative equity now, I'd guess. Not least in view of your terrible showing on the Temple Mount thread and your current attempts to keep the denial going.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-13-2016 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Post edited

Old 07-13-2016, 08:56 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: We don't need any help moderating the forum.

I thought the one poster, Geekgirl, in post 341, stated it well when she said in response to how many showed up opening day to Ham's Ark: Well, look at it this way, they were only 8 last time!
There are approximately 8.7 million species on earth today X 2 means poor old Noah would have 17.4 animals to look after in a frigging wooden barge that would not float for long....He and his family would be too busy bailing water and would have no time to shovel excrement produced by 17.4 million animals....

The largest wooden ship ever built was the schooner Wyoming (339.5 feet) and it wasn't built of "gopher wood" what ever that is.

Because of its extreme length and wood construction, Wyoming tended to flex in heavy seas, which would cause the long planks to twist and buckle, thereby allowing sea water to intrude into the hold (see hogging and sagging). Wyoming had to use pumps to keep its hold relatively free of water. In March 1924, it foundered in heavy seas and sank with the loss of all hands. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_(schooner)

This ark story does not hold water....

Old 07-13-2016, 09:14 AM

20,020 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I don't understand how they added this up and came to the word "go." Who did their marketing studies? Even the deeply religious people I know here in Kentucky are just aghast - they think it's crazy to think that many people are going to spend that much money to travel that far to see a giant fake boat.
We've seen this movie many times before. Offhand ... Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker come to mind with their theme park and retirement village. Which was a stronger proposition than Ark Encounter, but failed, as Ark Encounter likely will, on the shoals of hubris and "god told me to do it".

Very often Christian ministries like this don't engage marketing or PR professionals (or know the difference between the two) -- or for that matter, competent managers -- because they have an inflated view of how many people exist within their echo chamber / bubble AND will actually part with their $$, and naive views of how to reach them.

I predict the ticket prices will plummet within the year. They will have to, or there will be no significant volume of visitors. It's just way too much money for a very limited attraction very far from population centers or complementary tourism destinations.

Their only hope is to drop prices until they find a "sweet spot" -- if it exists -- that will bring enough people to keep the whole thing going.

Regrettably, since the ark is the ultimate white elephant (who is going to be in the market for a slightly used ark??) one possible scenario is for some other operator to come in and scoop it up for pennies on the dollar and try to reboot without all the debt, possibly adding some other attractions along with it or something.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:25 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
We've seen this movie many times before. Offhand ... Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker come to mind with their theme park and retirement village. Which was a stronger proposition than Ark Encounter, but failed, as Ark Encounter likely will, on the shoals of hubris and "god told me to do it".

Very often Christian ministries like this don't engage marketing or PR professionals (or know the difference between the two) -- or for that matter, competent managers -- because they have an inflated view of how many people exist within their echo chamber / bubble AND will actually part with their $$, and naive views of how to reach them.

I predict the ticket prices will plummet within the year. They will have to, or there will be no significant volume of visitors. It's just way too much money for a very limited attraction very far from population centers or complementary tourism destinations.

Their only hope is to drop prices until they find a "sweet spot" -- if it exists -- that will bring enough people to keep the whole thing going.

Regrettably, since the ark is the ultimate white elephant (who is going to be in the market for a slightly used ark??) one possible scenario is for some other operator to come in and scoop it up for pennies on the dollar and try to reboot without all the debt, possibly adding some other attractions along with it or something.
They could also feature a lion's den, a whale belly, and a lake of fire.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:38 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There are approximately 8.7 million species on earth today X 2 means poor old Noah would have 17.4 animals to look after in a frigging wooden barge that would not float for long....
...and don't forget the millions that have gone extinct since the time the silly story is alleged to have taken place, they would have to have been on there too...and then all the estimated millions of species still to be discovered, they too would have had to have been on-board.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:42 AM

20,020 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
They could also feature a lion's den, a whale belly, and a lake of fire.
Yes, they could have an animatronic human writhing in a pool of boiling oil to which his chains are attached, with animatronic imps poking him with tridents. I can just see the little kids upchucking in terror.

I suppose it wouldn't even have to be Christian-themed; the ark could be repurposed into a giant petting zoo or a multilevel water slide ... the possibilities are endless.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:51 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
This is like a sunday school lesson in the form of a theme park. I was indoctrinated with Christianity as a 3 year old, but I was never taught there were dinosaurs on the ark. That is one of the things that I have never understood. The way some denominations are at odds with each other.

It's almost like having a beer is a sin, unless your are a Lutheran or a Catholic.

Source: Noah's ark, complete with dinosaurs, ready to open in Kentucky | NOLA.com

Old 07-13-2016, 10:07 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
This is like a sunday school lesson in the form of a theme park. I was indoctrinated with Christianity as a 3 year old, but I was never taught there were dinosaurs on the ark. That is one of the things that I have never understood. The way some denominations are at odds with each other.

It's almost like having a beer is a sin, unless your are a Lutheran or a Catholic.

Source: Noah's ark, complete with dinosaurs, ready to open in Kentucky | NOLA.com

Ham needs the Ark Encounter to fit the narrative in his AIG, and that is as a result of trying to find some way of slithering around all the holes in the Noah story when science comes into play.

He's working on the principle that if a lie is repeated often enough, people will finally believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality