Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 02:02 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
...and how it is feasible to accomplish what God needed it to.
You mean save one family and a handful of animals and kill essentially every other living thing on the planet? Go, Yahweh!

Old 07-13-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
He's working on the principle that if a lie is repeated often enough, people will finally believe it.
Ah. The raison d'etre of both religion and politics.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:07 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
You mean save one family and a handful of animals and kill essentially every other living thing on the planet? Go, Yahweh!
God was in the mood for a SMITE DOWN! And I thought I had a temper.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:07 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Okay.

"Only 101 years after the Flood, evil abounded again; and therefore, as the Bible tells us, “the earth was divided.” This occurred at the Tower of Babel, when God confounded the languages, and people began to be scattered about the earth. The Tower of Babel incident occurred at about 2247 B. C . And it is soon after this point that Chinese history begins. " Source: Ancient Chinese History in Light of the Book of Genesis

So let me get this straight. The flood killed all humanity except for 8 people. Noah, his sons and their wives. YET, only 101 years after the flood, evil abounded again? My god, were they trailer park trash? How can the descendants of Noah go evil in only 101 years, which caused god to all of a sudden make their descendants to all start talking different languages?

Funny thing, proto-writing appeared as much as 7,000 BCE. That is before biblical literalists will even admit the earth existed.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:12 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Funny thing about your god created physics. It keeps disproving a young earth/universe. Or was that the devil throwing some sticks into the spokes?

Young earth, old earth, doesn't matter to me. God exists out of time. You only demonstrate how man is limited in understanding. According to the Bible, the early man lived hundreds of years so the age of the earth is anyone's guess.

Quote:

No, not every culture has a flood story.

Some, those that live near rivers, lakes and oceans do. Some. And some of those myths are thousands of years older than the supposed Noah story. Gilgamesh is one. Why was the Chinese civilization not wiped out during the supposed flood? Why were the North American Indians not wiped out?
Most do. You can find the stories on every continent sharing at least some element in common with the Bible. These other cultures didn't exist until the towel of Babel where God created the different languages and spread them all over the world. Just because someone wrote down their Flood story before the Bible proves nothing. The author of Genesis could have wrote the account much later from carefully preserved oral tradition handed down generation to generation.

Flood Stories from Around the World

Old 07-13-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
The ignorance of fundamentalists.

Why would they not be? You're the one claiming that evolution just can't happen...so if that is true then they must be the same now as they were then. No evolution... remember.
Well, goalposts, don'cha know.

It's similar to how many young earth creationists now say "Oh, we realize the universe is more than 6000 years old, but planet EARTH is only 6000 years old."

Some literalists/fundamentalists will bend over backwards and perform the most amazing feats of mental gymnastics and ill-logic...I have heard them say they believe in survival of the fittest, natural selection and adaptation...but evolution? Pah!

And yet still others speak of a "super-evolutionary" post-flood push that caused a massive change, or growth, or explosion in diversity that Yahweh made happen sometime soon after the global flood, but again--actual evolution with all kinds of scientific data and bases backing it up? Never!

Plus--unicorns!

Old 07-13-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Funny thing, proto-writing appeared as much as 7,000 BCE. That is before biblical literalists will even admit the earth existed.
And there are mammoth kill sites in the US, carbon dated 14,000 years BP with arrowheads found in the rib cage.

This is just getting too far out there for me. I am not a scholar by any means. My undergrad degree is in Anthropology. So I took the standard 101 courses in archeology, linguistics, and physical anthropology.

But I shall defer to others who are more learned than I am.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
God was in the mood for a SMITE DOWN! And I thought I had a temper.
Whoa yeah. OT Yahweh wasn't to be messed with. Heck, the story of Job alone is pretty off-putting, then you think about how he condoned slavery, death by stoning, the killing of children for back-sassing, near-total planetary destruction, the rape, pillage and destruction of enemy tribes and villages...

One of my favorite stories concerning Yahweh's love and forgiveness is from the Second Book of Kings, 2:23-24 where some kids make fun of the prophet Elisha's bald head. Elisha curses them and Yahweh sends two she-bears to maul 42 of these children to death.

Nice work there.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Whoa yeah. OT Yahweh wasn't to be messed with. Heck, the story of Job alone is pretty off-putting, then you think about how he condoned slavery, death by stoning, the killing of children for back-sassing, near-total planetary destruction, the rape, pillage and destruction of enemy tribes and villages...

One of my favorite stories concerning Yahweh's love and forgiveness is from the Second Book of Kings, 2:23-24 where some kids make fun of the prophet Elisha's bald head. Elisha curses them and Yahweh sends two she-bears to maul 42 of these children to death.

Nice work there.
Daaaa-yummmmm!

Old 07-13-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Daaaa-yummmmm!
Yer dang skippy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality