Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 12:30 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No. just the bigoted ones.

THe same person that made the OP the judge on religion?

Of course.

There is a difference between disagreeing and making intentionally rude and obnoxious statements about the beliefs of others.

Of course not. I welcome and encourage discussion. I don't appreciate the bigoted ones, though.

Of course not, because the whiny comments you see, you agree with.

Please provide examples of other comments that were whinny other than yours about the whinny taking place. I do not need to see rude ones because I will freely admit that rude comments are made on a daily basis but they certainly are not all or even mostly from one side.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:35 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,664 times
A question nobody will answer: Why couldn't a god just wave a hand and all the evil humans would vanish? Why kill the kittens, puppies, colts, calves, piglets, fledglings, baby animals of all kinds?

Old 07-14-2016, 12:39 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
How about more humor and less "whining"?
Where did Noah keep the bees?

In the Arc-Hives!

Old 07-14-2016, 12:41 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times
Quote:
Why would it? That wasn't part of the flood narrative.

Neither were dinosaurs which lived 160 million years ago.

That was meant as humor, btw.

Last edited by _redbird_; 07-14-2016 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: mea culpa off topic

Old 07-14-2016, 12:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:

That was meant as humor, btw. Attention Arkies, drunken Orgy in 5 minutes!
I thought the tastefully decorated cabins on board Ham's ark, complete with wall hangings and pottery collections, were uproarious.

Personally, I don't see a foul-smelling boat full of caged animals as an attractive place .....but obviously Ham thought the ark looked nice and homey and everyone retreated to a pleasant room after a day spent shoveling dinosaur manure.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-14-2016 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-14-2016, 12:59 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The Ark Encounter is 40 miles (about an hour) from the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati. That means it is also within the vicinity of the Cincinnati Zoo and everything else in that city's downtown area. (Cincinnati is a big city. They have a lot of stuff. The music hall is great!) King's Island amusement park is another hour North.
Sure, but those are primarily regional attractions. Those are things that you're going to see if you're already in the area, but very few people are going to drive more than a couple of hours to take their family to the zoo or a ballgame. I love Cincinnati - it's a great town; we're there 3 to 6 times each month, and we always find something really fun to do. We've seriously considered moving there, and in fact may very well do so at some point. But the truth is, there really isn't anything in that area that people are going to drive from other parts of the country to visit.

Now, the link I posted earlier shows that Ham is lying when he claims they expect 2,000,000 visitors a year, but even if they did genuinely expect that many people, the only way they're going to get them is if a significant number of people from outside the area either come to that part of country to specifically see that attraction (which I maintain is sheer fantasy) or if they stop by there on their way to see something else in the area. And that one doesn't work because there is nothing in that area that large numbers of people are coming from other parts of the country to see.

One thing they have going for them is that they're sort of in-between the major population centers of the Upper Midwest and some of the large tourist attractions of the Southeast, such as the Smoky Mountains and the national parks of the Appalachians. People may stop there on their way to and from. But then again, that didn't seem to help the Creation Museum very much, because they're unable to pull much over a quarter million a year themselves.

If you want something like this to work, you need to make it easily accessible to large numbers of people - like the population centers of the East and West Coasts, or the tourist areas of the Southeast. Instead, Ham decided it would be a good idea to put it in the heart of the Bible Belt, on the theory that there are enough christians in the area to support the park. But the problem with that is, even though it's in the middle of the most religious area of the country, it's still a rural area, and most of the target demographic is still a half day or day's drive away. Plus, that is also the most deeply impoverished area of the country, so most of his target demographic is too poor to afford those outrageous prices.

And most of all, Ham's forgetting that it's kids who decide where families go for vacation. Even if they don't make the actual plans, the parents choose their vacations based on where the kids are going to have the most fun. Amusement parks are fun. National parks are fun. Beaches are fun. Mountains are fun. Giant fake arks in the middle of Kentucky? Yeah, kids all over the country are lying awake every night praying their parents will someday take them to the fake ark to look at fiberglass dinosaurs.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:01 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Please provide examples of other comments that were whinny other than yours about the whinny taking place. I do not need to see rude ones because I will freely admit that rude comments are made on a daily basis but they certainly are not all or even mostly from one side.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but "whinny" is the sound a horse makes and "whiny" is the word you are actually after ... the way someone who whines is.

As an aside, "whiney" is also used, but about one-fourth as often as "whiny", which is preferred in all English dialects.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
The fact that this thread whining about a Christian museum and park has gone on for 45 pages is a testament to the fact that the topic of God is offensive to some people. I have no idea why they hang out here, but some folks do enjoy whining.
What I find offensive is that religious fanatics convinced the governor of one of the poorest states in the country to give $18 million in taxpayer funds to the con artist who built this park, while cutting education and health care programs for impoverished children.

But you're fine with that, apparently.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:05 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Neither were dinosaurs which lived 160 million years ago.
At least according to the version of the story that you choose to believe...

Old 07-14-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
And the inbreeding that would be required from only eight people on the planet?
Hmmm... now I start to see why they chose to build it in Kentucky...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality