Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 12:10 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's a laugh from someone who used a quitemine

"That's (is why they are being hypocritical) because atheism is true and Creationism isn't."

and then exposed in in the same post.

"That's why we are not being hypocritical."

Every time I think you have plumbed the depths, you sink a bit deeper - you hardly needed the half -hearted attempt to play the 'single cell' argument, which you seem to think you scraped a draw on.

You and the rest of the creationists are, if the evidence counts - trying to fool the people - which is bad, even if it isn't done at taxpayers' expense. We are doing a service, unpaid and largely unthanked - saving them from being lied to. A social service which is worth it even if it was done at taxpayers' expense -which, I would wager my pension, it isn't.

Have you asked Ken Hamm whether the Ark would be a good place to display all your crash and burns? You might just about cram them all in.
Why would I do that when I have never crashed and burned?

Look chum, the *unbeliever* said it was wrong for Christians to be spending money on theme parks rather than on the poor. At the same time, Atheists are spending huge amounts of money on billboards making fun of God and the Bible rather than on the poor. So the guy and atheists are a bunch of hypocrites. And that is another crash and burn for you!, not me.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:15 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
There is a zoo, of unknown size, and a zip line attraction. I'd guess there's an additional fee for the zip line.

Forty bucks is a hefty price to walk around and look at exhibits. We visit a lot of museums. Average admission charge is $20-25. And for that you can see paintings by grand masters and artifacts from ancient cultures. Ham is charging double that to walk through his none-float-able ark. . He did use Amish craftsmen, so I give him credit for that. But few Amish, a notoriously thrifty group, would plunk down forty bucks to look at an Amish-made barn. They've seen those.
What Ken Ham Isn’t Telling You About Ark Encounter Funding

Old 07-09-2016, 12:15 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,928,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Such desperation. I live in the real world. People are struggling. Cheap gas ain't going to make a difference. Those are the facts not the liberal distortion that somehow jacking up a minimum wage means more money and disposable income.
Those stats reflect the real world, Jeff. The one you repeatably deny. Some people are struggling. Many are not, and their lot in life has improved. You want struggle? Come to Alberta, where because the conservative party that ran it for 44 years became stale and felt entitled, and because we have two right wing parties, a left wing one slipped in; an accidental election. Come to Alberta and join the over 80,000 laid off oil patch workers. Come to Alberta were that left wing government is raising taxes and creating the largest deficit ever, when we used to run surpluses.

But actually, you would not survive here. You know why?

Because Albertan's have a 'can do' attitude. They adapt. They work hard. They may have to move. They cut expenses. But they will come back. We don't whine about the current situation, other than the fact we have a left wing government. That will change in 3 years. In the meantime, people like my neighbors find jobs outside of the patch, at lower wages, but they keep their family fed. They work two jobs or part-time. Or long hours.

So, real stats mean real things, and not invented ones like in Jeff's fantasy land.

And those real stats show that in the USA, disposal income is up, and tourism is up. Both of which contradict your fantasy world you believe in. You must have gone to Trump University.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:32 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Why would I do that when I have never crashed and burned?

Look chum, the *unbeliever* said it was wrong for Christians to be spending money on theme parks rather than on the poor. At the same time, Atheists are spending huge amounts of money on billboards making fun of God and the Bible rather than on the poor. So the guy and atheists are a bunch of hypocrites. And that is another crash and burn for you!, not me.
It would be the first one, if it was one. And you crash and burn yet again and deny it yet again. Even if that remark had not already been refuted, It could be debunked in another way. Tuo Quoque is a fallacy. And now to a post that was at least worth a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Tourism is down period. People don't have disposable income like they did 10-20 years ago. I have a friend who works in the tourism industry in Branson and she said it's been a really lean year. I would love to go if it was closer. Ken has built a beautiful park and the ark looks pretty amazing in photos. There are other attractions like a zoo and zip line.

The sad thing is atheists just gleefully want to see this project fail completely which only hurts the residents of Kentucky. Kentucky is a poverty state and this park could be a huge boost to the local economy and bring jobs.
I should love to see Kentucky cease to a poverty state (Really? In the US?) and won't suggest the first thing they should do to start mending matters, but it seems perverse to try to excuse this massive monument to folly as something that will bring prosperity to the region. I should guess that every dollar profit (if any) will be used for the good of Creationist propaganda, not the pavement people of the state.

That said, of course we wouldn't be sad if this turned out to be a total disaster for Creationism. It probably won't be.It might be quite a success, profitable and a propaganda coup. I wouldn't mind too much if it wasn't intended to fool people into believing Genesis by building a mock up of a myth for them to look at.

But you know, from what little I saw, quite a few are going to come out wondering "The whole animal kingdom, for a year? In that?"

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-09-2016 at 01:22 PM..

Old 07-09-2016, 12:42 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Disney has more imagination. Ken Hamm? Not so much.
Maybe Hammo could draw inspiration from Disney - Marty the Unicorn perhaps?

Just realised that's a ripoff off Marty Moose. Make it Terry Unicorn.

Last edited by Joe90; 07-09-2016 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-09-2016, 01:03 PM

20,020 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Forty bucks is a hefty price to walk around and look at exhibits. We visit a lot of museums. Average admission charge is $20-25. And for that you can see paintings by grand masters and artifacts from ancient cultures. Ham is charging double that ...
Yeah that was my gut reaction too. I don't think I'd have forked over $136 for myself, the wife and two kids*, even back when I was a fundamentalist. If for no other reason than that I didn't have that kind of $$. But also, my guess is that in this age of copious online reviews, even someone whose kids are begging to go, is not going to get a lot of enthusiastic reviews to put them over the top, judging from what I've seen so far.

* They charge "only" $28 for kids 5-12, so I'm being charitable and assuming both children are 12 or under. Which makes sense, I'm not sure an infinitely bored and indifferent teen would go with their lame parents anyway.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
There is a zoo, of unknown size, and a zip line attraction. I'd guess there's an additional fee for the zip line.

Forty bucks is a hefty price to walk around and look at exhibits. We visit a lot of museums. Average admission charge is $20-25. And for that you can see paintings by grand masters and artifacts from ancient cultures. Ham is charging double that to walk through his none-float-able ark. . He did use Amish craftsmen, so I give him credit for that. But few Amish, a notoriously thrifty group, would plunk down forty bucks to look at an Amish-made barn. They've seen those.
I gather that Ken wants to charge for parking as well as for the entry ticket. Anyone want to Google opinions on whether it was worth it?
Thanks for posting that.

Hah. I wondered if "Discriminatory Hiring Practices" had been applied to Ark construction and, if so, whether anyone would pick it up.

The state Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet said in a letter Wednesday that the Ark Encounter project has evolved from a tourist attraction into a ministry that intends to discriminate in hiring based on religion.

State tourism tax incentives cannot be used to fund religious indoctrination or otherwise be used to advance religion,” Tourism Secretary Bob Stewart wrote in the letter. “The use of state incentives in this way violates the separation of church and state provisions of the Constitution and is therefore impermissible.”

It wasn’t until the Q&A that an attendee asked if Ham could say more about the funding. Ham said the first phase of the project required $91.5 million before opening for business. To date, around $24 million has been raised in donations, an undisclosed amount has been made off of selling lifetime admission packages called “Boarding Passes,” and there’s $62 million in bond offerings. (Whether he had sold all those bonds wasn’t clear from his remarks
.)

"Boarding passes"

Correct me if I got this wrong. This heap of fantasy firewood has soaked up close to $180 million?

And when I read how Incentives intended to help this "Poverty State" as Jeff called it is being sucked into the Ark project in ways that are clearly public funding, My supper chicken almost resurrected.

This is not looking just a rather pleasant and whacky religious foible - "Educational tool" indeed. Last I looked at the Law, Creationism is not part of the curriculum. It is looking so close to Fraud as should make Ken Hamm check that his Auzzie passport is up to date

There are other alarming points. Williamstown is apparently being refribbed at great expense to cope with the expected influx of Ark tourists. If they don't come, that could be a massive loss to the poor of the city.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:18 PM

20,020 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It wasn’t until the Q&A that an attendee asked if Ham could say more about the funding. Ham said the first phase of the project required $91.5 million before opening
for business. To date, around $24 million has been raised in donations, an undisclosed amount has been made off of selling lifetime admission packages called “Boarding Passes,” and there’s $62 million in bond offerings. (Whether he had sold all those bonds wasn’t clear from his remarks[/i].)

"Boarding passes"

Correct me if I got this wrong. This heap of fantasy firewood has soaked up close to $180 million?
Offhand I took it that he needed $91.5 million initially and the $62 and $24 million was raised toward that and the remaining 3.5 million plus initial operating costs probably in bonds. Not sure though.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:19 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
In which Bible verse does Jesus command you to spend millions building theme parks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Where is the verse where He says not to?
Luke 12:33

Old 07-09-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Luke 12:33
Ahhhhhh

But that depends how you *Interpret* it. Pouring money into a religious education project rather than wasting it on providing for your family, IS giving your money to the poor, or rather to Religion, which looks after them far better than you can. Thus you are storing up more treasure in heaven by giving to religion that if you HAD given it to the poor.

I sometimes think I'd have made an awesome theist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Maybe Hammo could draw inspiration from Disney - Marty the Unicorn perhaps?

Just realised that's a ripoff off Marty Moose. Make it Terry Unicorn.
Oh yes. Unicorns were in the Ark. The Bible mentions them. There will probably be a cage labelled "Behemoth" and possibly even a pool for a couple of baby Leviathans.

Recall a cartoon "Why there are no Unicorns".
2 unicorns on the Ark.

"Hi, horney, my name's Sarah, what's yours?|

"Rebecca."

I had a bit more of a look and despite myself. I was impressed by the sheer size and it looks great inside and out. At the same time I am appalled at the waste of space when you have a million species to get on. But maybe that was all food storage space (I doubt that water was a problem, with all the rain). They do have Baryma it seems with a sorta protocat, proto hippophant and proto dinosaurs - which is a bit odd because you already had a million species before the flood.

You know, if it were not for those explaining that this just does not either accord with the evidence or work in itself, it could look very convincing. It is not just making the Genesis story look real It is making the book of Genesis according to Ken Ham look real. If they had a clear field and nobody to ask questions, they could make this work as a theory.

Whether they make it work as a tourist draw remains to be seen.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-09-2016 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: a bit of couloure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality