Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 09:06 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Why is EVERY SINGLE ATHEIST I've seen online act like they have a PHD in every field of science? Seriously, I know you not all experts in these fields so drop the condescending act. It's really old.
Just as amazing is how the more fundamental <insert religion here> extremist a person is, the more they disregard common sense and scientific explanations.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:38 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Just as amazing is how the more fundamental <insert religion here> extremist a person is, the more they disregard common sense and scientific explanations.
Your scientific explanations require faith and a degree of arrogance that we have it all or mostly figured out. There could be a future discovery that completely embarrasses the bold claims of science today.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:41 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
It's just a matter of contrast. Most of the people dissing science couldn't tell a tachyon from a tuba.
And the bartender says, "I'm sorry, but we don't serve faster-than-light particles here."

So, two tachyons walk into a bar....

Old 07-14-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Although every atheist does not have a PhD in a scientific field, that does not negate UNDERSTANDING science and the scientific method.

That has been explained to you ad nauseum, but you stay willfully ignorant of it. Staying willfully ignorant makes you what?
If I got it wrong then you know, explain exactly what I got wrong. It's not that hard. No instead, you play this game of calling me stupid or "willfully ignorant" which is nothing more than a condescending sleight of hand. I'm sure intelligent people can see right through it.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I think it just appears that way to you because you are obviously prone to hyperbole and your staunch adherence to literalist nonsense causes you to come across as someone with a kindergarten-level grasp of what science is and how it functions.

I don't believe atheists are necessarily more intelligent than believers in general, but many adults understand something of science and can research and learn about things they don't know, whereas biblical literalists can only look at such information and say "Well, that can't be correct because it doesn't jibe with this or that portion of The Bible. Oh! All those poor idiots, duped by those evil, god-hating, lying sciency cretins."
Most adults don't go around talking about their vast knowledge of sentiment layers or dendrochronology. I am quite confident that most adults don't know or really care about such topics. Atheists really don't see to live in the real world.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:06 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
What a slime ball Ken Ham truly is. Yep let's indoctrinate the youth with his BS!

Ark Encounter proprietor makes rash big bet to lure public schools

Get'em while their too young to think on their own. I guess he thinks the US Constitution does not apply to him.

Quote:
"Taking public school students to an ark park would be as unconstitutional as taking them to church on a Sunday morning," says FFRF Co-President Dan Barker.

"In some ways, it is worse because the constitutional issues are compounded by the anti-science, anti-history indoctrination Ham is imposing on visitors."

Last edited by Matadora; 07-14-2016 at 11:15 PM..

Old 07-14-2016, 11:13 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
If I got it wrong then you know, explain exactly what I got wrong. It's not that hard. No instead, you play this game of calling me stupid or "willfully ignorant" which is nothing more than a condescending sleight of hand. I'm sure intelligent people can see right through it.
First of all, do you know the difference between a hypothesize and a theory. Please explain if you do, as that is the root of disagreements. You throw the term theory around a lot, but have given no indication of understanding what it is.

We can start from that.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:07 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
Quote:
Why is EVERY SINGLE ATHEIST I've seen online act like they have a PHD in every field of science? Seriously, I know you not all experts in these fields so drop the condescending act. It's really old.
Compared to you and your religious friends, we obviously are experts, as evidenced by the fact that whenever the subject comes up we run circles around you. Few of us have doctorates in the subject, but compared to people who know absolutely nothing at all about the topic I suppose it probably does seem that way.

Quote:
Most adults don't go around talking about their vast knowledge of sentiment layers or dendrochronology. I am quite confident that most adults don't know or really care about such topics. Atheists really don't see to live in the real world.
Maybe most of the adults with whom you associate, but most of the adults I know are at least able to have an intelligent discussion about it. The fact that you find this hard to believe just underscores how woefully far behind the curve you and your cohorts are compared to educated adults.

And yes, it's true that we don't go around talking about it on a regular basis - at least, not in the sense that we stop people on the street to strike up a conversation about it. But when the subject does come up, we are at least capable of discussing it. Because we paid attention in science class, instead of daydreaming about bible stories. The reason we discuss it here so often is because the subject happens to come up. Not our fault that you don't know anything at all about the subject; you went to the same schools most of us did. You could be just as well-educated as any one of us, but you made a deliberate decision not to be. And that's just a terrible, terrible shame. And a terrible waste.

Believe it or not, Jeff, i do like you and respect you. Quite a bit, in fact. Even more than some of the people who are often on my own side of the debate. If we knew each other in real life, I think i would be proud if we were friends. I believe that you are a genuinely caring, loving, goodhearted man, passionate in your beliefs and courageous enough to stand up on your hind legs and fight for them even when you are surrounded and outnumbered, but who is just... well... wrong. Very, very wrong. And I am sad for you that you have found yourself reduced to the point where you are complaining that it's not fair that the people who are arguing against you know so much more than you do.

But where this all ties in with the thread topic is this... this subplot of the thread perfectly illustrates the problem with things like the Ark Extravaganza, and the shameless, criminal corruption that allows things like this to be paid for with public money. People who are "educated" by disgracefully dishonest crap like the Ark Park come away dumber than they might have been had they actually learned about science in science class, rather than from religious con artists like Ken Ham. In a state where education and health care for impoverished children are being cut because the governor says there isn't enough money to pay for such nonsense, tax dollars are paying to take children who could have been well-educated, and turning them into people who don't know squat. And it's nothing short of criminal that taxpayer dollars are being used to make children stupider.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:36 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,541,906 times
Quote:
Your scientific explanations require faith and a degree of arrogance that we have it all or mostly figured out. There could be a future discovery that completely embarrasses the bold claims of science today.
LMAO. First off, thank you for the swallow your vomit post. That was classic! Second, it is not MY scientific explanations. Science has been there long before I was born and will be long after you and the farting preachers of the world are BUTT DUST. (Referencing a religious joke)

Spoiler
A visiting minister waxed eloquent during the offertory prayer. He began, with arms extended toward heaven and a rapturous look
on his upturned face,"Without you we are but dust... "

He would have continued but at that moment my very obedient daughter(who waslistening!) leaned over to me and asked quite audibly in her shrill little girl voice, "Mom, what is butt dust?"

Science has NEVER claimed to "have it all or mostly figured out". You know, the more you talk, the more you show your ignorance. You make these asinine statements, then you sit back and literally emulate EXACTLY what you are claiming to hate, that is an air of arrogance.

You are simply unable and unwilling to grasp a basic understanding of what science is, i.e., google it, you might learn something: https://www.google.com/search?q=what...utf-8&oe=utf-8

And do you know why you continue to stick your head into the darkness of willful ignorance?

Because by doing so allows you to dismiss anything and everything that challenges your faith-based beliefs.

And, DUH, yes grasshopper, new discoveries continually help science understand the world around us with each new discovery.

I will continue to pray for you.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:51 AM

1,248 posts, read 824,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
A question nobody will answer: Why couldn't a god just wave a hand and all the evil humans would vanish? Why kill the kittens, puppies, colts, calves, piglets, fledglings, baby animals of all kinds?
I don't know if anyone already answered it, but I'll try: because all non-human natural world had been created for man to use. When God cursed Adam after the fall, he cursed the natural world together with him, so it would not be benign for man anymore, but full of dangers and requiring much labor to survive in. Do you remember what the bible says about paradise where lamb and lion would stay together? That is only possible after mankind has been saved.

So, apparently is goes this way: the natural world with all its animal species is subservient to man. When man is cursed, they are cursed too. When man must die, all those other animals must die as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality