Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2016, 03:44 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times

Advertisements

Just goes to show how sick people really are to take all that money they could spend to help those LGBT folks with their sexually transmitted diseases, AIDS and HIV rather than spending all that money to persecute God loving people who aren't spreading sexually transmitted diseases and causing a greater burden on the populace who have to take care of them due to their indiscretions.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:48 PM

10,088 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Those stats reflect the real world, Jeff. The one you repeatably deny. Some people are struggling. Many are not, and their lot in life has improved. You want struggle? Come to Alberta, where because the conservative party that ran it for 44 years became stale and felt entitled, and because we have two right wing parties, a left wing one slipped in; an accidental election. Come to Alberta and join the over 80,000 laid off oil patch workers. Come to Alberta were that left wing government is raising taxes and creating the largest deficit ever, when we used to run surpluses.

But actually, you would not survive here. You know why?

Because Albertan's have a 'can do' attitude. They adapt. They work hard. They may have to move. They cut expenses. But they will come back. We don't whine about the current situation, other than the fact we have a left wing government. That will change in 3 years. In the meantime, people like my neighbors find jobs outside of the patch, at lower wages, but they keep their family fed. They work two jobs or part-time. Or long hours.

So, real stats mean real things, and not invented ones like in Jeff's fantasy land.

And those real stats show that in the USA, disposal income is up, and tourism is up. Both of which contradict your fantasy world you believe in. You must have gone to Trump University.

Anyone can crunch numbers to sell a narrative that they want. Since you're not even a US citizen, I hardly consider you to be an expert on the of American's personal finances. Here's a different narrative:

Quote:

After spending money on holiday gifts, a majority of Americans are “broke.” 56.3% of people surveyed have less than $1,000 combined in their checking and savings account.

Credit cards will be used to fund a big portion of holiday purchases. 38.3% of the people surveyed will not be able to pay off their credit card in full this month. High interest rate credit cards were used to fund holiday debt.

Deeper Into Credit Card Debt With No Regrets

I can speak from personal experience that 2016 has been the most difficult year financially. My income has gone up 0% while cost of living has risen 20% or more.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Where is the verse where He says not to [use money to build a theme park]?
Quote:
Rafius: Luke 12:33
No, that verse is not Jesus telling Christians not to use money to build a theme park. And it is not a verse for all Christians of the nations. In fact, it is aimed only at Israelites.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You do nothing to hide your ignorance, little brother.

The Ark park has only one restaurant.
The Ark park charges extra for parking, donkey rides and zip line ride.
A decent hotel is more than twenty miles away.

Tourism is up in this area, and the trend will continue. We do not have amusement parks, water parks, or Arks.

Perhaps people do not like Branson. You go once, and never go back.

Just how many times would a family want to see the Ark? Once. It does not even float. There is nothing to capture a child's imagination. There is nothing to inspire curiosity. There are no rides either.

The Ark is ugly, and unimaginative.
You only say it's ugly because you need it to be ugly. You have to be so negative about everything Christian. There is nothing ugly about the ark. It's a massive structure within the beautiful Kentucky landscape.

Branson has been very popular destination in the Bible belt region for decades and offers hundreds of shows and new things to see each other. To suggest that people don't like Branson is just pure ignorance. To declare the that Ark exhibit is a failure after just one day is ignorance and bias as well. People like you NEED it to bomb.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You only say it's ugly because you need it to be ugly. You have to be so negative about everything Christian. There is nothing ugly about the ark. It's a massive structure within the beautiful Kentucky landscape.

Branson has been very popular destination in the Bible belt region for decades and offers hundreds of shows and new things to see each other. To suggest that people don't like Branson is just pure ignorance. To declare the that Ark exhibit is a failure after just one day is ignorance and bias as well. People like you NEED it to bomb.
jeffbase, we are dealing with people who feel they have to lie in order to persecute Christians. Don't ever think these same people will give you a fair and unbiased hearing on this board. Even people like Transponder spread malicious statements that our beliefs have been blown away. These atheists and unbelievers are getting more and more desperate.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 07-15-2016 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Calling another member a "troll" is considered a "personal attack" and WILL be infracted for if it continues.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:09 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,901,614 times
I don't know the numbers that went, but what I saw about Bill Nye going and getting a tour from Ken Ham was interesting. It seemed from the pictures I saw it was fairly packed on the inside, but I don't think it was really open to the public the first day. Maybe it was an invite only, or pre-registered people were allowed to go in. I'm not sure.

From my atheist perspective, on first glance this Ark does more harm to it's beliefs then anything. I'm looking at this thing and thinking, a group of people really could have built something like this? I've even hear the theory that people would have lived much longer and they could have had a hundred years to build this thing. I just find it incredibly hard to believe they could have built this even in that time frame. Think about the thousands of people who worked behind this Ark. They had lumber processing companies with modern technologies, they had huge trucks transporting the wood, they had cranes to put the wood into place, they had modern screws and synthetic glues to make larger pieces of wood on the ship. It's just such an incredibly construction to be done by a family group, even if there were hundreds of them. I mean it would have taken 100 years with a thousand people working on it. Plus, when it's finished all the animals show up in pairs, so we are talking about 1000's of animals, probably tens of thousands of animals. Plus food and water, plus all the people who get chosen to go on the ship. This also confuses me, I hear some creationists claim thousands of people are working on this ship, so are all these thousands of people getting on the ship? Or are some left behind to die in the flood? Look at that ship, I mean it is huge, but it seems such a stretch to imagine it could hold all those people, animals, food for animals. Lots of those animals are herbivores, so they have to keep enough vegetation on board, grain, meats, water (because the sea will be salty). All of that had to last 371 days, which seems to be the length of the flood according to most creationists. It seems to me the more creationists dig for truths about creationism, the bigger a hole they find themselves in.

I don't see any need for hostility, but boy, it would take a LOT of faith to believe in that Ark story.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:21 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Thanks, sincerely. Personally I find that unnecessarily crude. I'm not trying to apologize for that, but I read up a little about this proposed billboard and according to the group who raised $10K for it were upset about AIG's discriminatory hiring practices more than anything. However, I still think there are classier ways to go about it.

One thing, though, you may not be aware of is apparently this billboard never got off the ground. I could be wrong, but from what I just read in a couple of cursory searches, the group couldn't find anyone to place the billboard on public display. Again, I could be mistaken, but all the sources I came across indicated nobody with billboard advertising space would put it up.

So, who knows.

I do feel that a religious organization could spend $62million in ways that would help people in far better ways than building a replica of Noah's Ark.

As I've said before, intolerance, hypocrisy, tastelessness, etc. are human conditions. They are neither intrinsic to, or exclusive to, any particular group.

As I've also said many times, even on this very forum, I sincerely feel the vast majority of Christians--as well as believers from other religions--are bright, kind, peaceful people.

I just can't for the life of me understand the need for some people to adhere so stringently to extreme fundamentalism and literalism. Really seems like it robs sacred texts of their depth and represent the most rigid and two-dimensional kind of belief.

To say, for instance, that evolution is a lie or that there is no science behind evolution is utterly illogical and, well, incorrect.

But what really confounds me is: why is it so important for some people to make such claims.

There's no reason why any reasonable person cannot accept that evolution actually happens (it does!) and also believe in a creator or creators. Accepting the facts of evolution does not automatically preclude the existence of a god or gods / creator(s).

Old 07-09-2016, 06:00 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post

St Patrick Cathedral is beautiful. The church down the street is beautiful. The local Mosque is beautiful.
St Lukes is quite lovely. I do not have to pay a thing to sit and enjoy the structures, or the stained glass.

The Ark is ugly. No. Make that fugly. Another one trick pony.

Branson is meh. No need to go a second time. I feel the same about Atlantic City and Vegas. Once was enough.

Now the Grand Canyon, and Hoover Dam are beautiful, and worth seeing many times. NYC? Endlessly awesome.

The fugly Ark? Not so much.

I suggested a reason for your claim Branson tourism is down. That was your claim.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:03 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
jeffbase, we are dealing with people who feel they have to lie in order to persecute Christians. Don't ever think these same people will give you a fair and unbiased hearing on this board. Even people like Transponder spread malicious statements that our beliefs have been blown away. These atheists and unbelievers are getting more and more desperate.

Moderator cut: Orphaned

The Ark is fugly. That has nothing to do with persecution of Christians. If Disney built such a fugly thing I would call it fugly.

PS. I am not an atheist.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-15-2016 at 09:36 AM..

Old 07-09-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
St Patrick Cathedral is beautiful. The church down the street is beautiful. The local Mosque is beautiful.
St Lukes is quite lovely. I do not have to pay a thing to sit and enjoy the structures, or the stained glass.

The Ark is ugly. No. Make that fugly. Another one trick pony.

Branson is meh. No need to go a second time. I feel the same about Atlantic City and Vegas. Once was enough.

Now the Grand Canyon, and Hoover Dam are beautiful, and worth seeing many times. NYC? Endlessly awesome.

The fugly Ark? Not so much.

I suggested a reason for your claim Branson tourism is down. That was your claim.
If an atheist had built it, I have no doubt you would be gushing with praise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality