Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 11:41 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
There is no such thing as 100% proof. Even if you fell out of a plane there is a very small chance that you might survive...but you have been told this numerous times and yet you still come back with the same old tripe don't you? You ran out of baseless assertions a long time ago and now all you have left is to whine and grizzly like a five year old who's friends won't play with him.
Great, then admit that you can be wrong in your assertion that it is fairy tales.

Quote:

Yes. This is true...and it's one of the reasons that the USA lag behind every other developed nation and are a laughing stock throughout the world....but the worst part of it is....they are proud of it!
And every other developed nation has no problem begging the US for help in times of need. Thankfully our country still does the Christian thing by helping others with no expectation of pay back.

Quote:

There he goes again! BooooHooooHoooo! I'm soooo persecuted!
Infantile. How anyone can respect your posts is beyond me.

Quote:

No. Those that reject objective, verifiable evidence are wilfully ignorant. Ignorance can be excuses. Wilful ignorance cannot.

No again. Can you produce a post from anyone calling you 'stupid'. Many have called you ignorant regarding various scientific fields...and that is because you ARE ignorant in those fields. Not only ignorant but WILFULLY ignorant and that is so much worse than ignorant. So come on. Let's see a post that is referring to you as 'stupid'.
I was told yesterday that I had the mentality of a kindergarten. That's calling me stupid.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:41 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
First you complain about his prices. Then you call him a slime ball for offering huge discounts to children? Let's call it what it is. Pure venom for Ken Ham. This happens really to anyone who takes a public stand for Christ and the Bible. I see the exact same vitriol directed at Kirk Cameron too.
Well, to be honest, Ham and Cameron are peddling idiocy, and capitalizing on it.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:42 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So does the atheistic notion of abiogenesis. But people still believe that life started from non-life by random chance.

If only you applied that same logic to the things you have faith in.
Biogenesis is a scientific hypothesis and not an atheist notion.

Unlike you though I do not have the organic chemistry background or knowledge on biochemistry to even begin to critique the hypothesis let alone dismiss it. From what I have read and heard it has lead to some interesting lines of inquiry. It may end up being dismissed or be supported and become a theory. And theory and random do not mean what you usually seem to think they do.

Myself, I have trust, not faith, in the scientific method. Wrong ideas have been dropped when proven wrong and theories that have never been disproved are still accepted. hypothesis that were not accepted due to lack of a physical process to drive it have been accepted and become a theory when a process has been discovered that provided the driving force. I am using Wernerer's Continental Drift hypothesis that became plate tectonics. One hundred years ago plates in motion were not known to the scientific community and now we can measure their movement to a portion of a millimeter per year. Science has advanced to much in the little over two hundred years that it has been a profession and who knows how much more advancement will happen in the next two hundred years. It is not surprising that we do not know everything yet. That would be totally boring for anyone interested in learning about new things or anyone involved in science.

I think your second sentence should read People still believe that it might be possible that life started from non life by random chance.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:43 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Spiteful, condescending, mocking commentary typical so VERY VERY typical, my quest continues to find just one just one atheist who can have a friendly non-personal discussion online. Sadly, you sound exactly like all the rest.
It was YOU who made the vomit comment. You wear that spiteful diatribe, not anyone else, Jeff.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
How do you know that? A miracle is defined as being supernatural, and "not normal". If it happened routinely it wouldn't be a miracle.
Sort of like stuff that happens in fairy tales? We don't see that every day either. As Ham, says, "Where you there?" if not, "How do you know?"

Old 07-15-2016, 11:45 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Biogenesis is a scientific hypothesis and not an atheist notion.
I'm assuming you mean abiogenesis. Even so, it's a fairy tale.
Quote:
Unlike you though I do not have the organic chemistry background or knowledge on biochemistry to even begin to critique the hypothesis let alone dismiss it. From what I have read and heard it has lead to some interesting lines of inquiry. It may end up being dismissed or be supported and become a theory. And theory and random do not mean what you usually seem to think they do.
You don't have the theological background, either, but you continue to spout off on that!
Quote:

Myself, I have trust, not faith, in the scientific method. Wrong ideas have been dropped when proven wrong and theories that have never been disproved are still accepted. hypothesis that were not accepted due to lack of a physical process to drive it have been accepted and become a theory when a process has been discovered that provided the driving force. I am using Wernerer's Continental Drift hypothesis that became plate tectonics. One hundred years ago plates in motion were not known to the scientific community and now we can measure their movement to a portion of a millimeter per year. Science has advanced to much in the little over two hundred years that it has been a profession and who knows how much more advancement will happen in the next two hundred years. It is not surprising that we do not know everything yet. That would be totally boring for anyone interested in learning about new things or anyone involved in science.

I think your second sentence should read People still believe that it might be possible that life started from non life by random chance.
If you truly trusted the scientific method, you'd realize that there is no basis for belief in the idea that life begins from non-life.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:45 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
First you complain about his prices.
Get your facts straight. I never once complained about his prices.
Quote:
Then you call him a slime ball for offering huge discounts to children
Get your facts straight. I called him a slime ball because Ken Ham is nothing but another money scheming con artist, on top of being one of the most dishonest humans around who thinks the US Constitution does not apply to him.

I think Dan Barker sums it up quite nicely.
Quote:
"Taking public school students to an ark park would be as unconstitutional as taking them to church on a Sunday morning," says FFRF Co-President Dan Barker.

"In some ways, it is worse because *the constitutional issues are compounded by the anti-science, anti-history indoctrination Ham is imposing on visitors*."
Quote:
Let's call it what it is.
OK what do you call a person who runs off at the mouth making false accusations about someone and who has all their facts wrong? That would be you.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
It violates so many things that science knows to be true. Yet, people are willing to give it a pass.
Which ones does it violate, Vizio? Specifically?

Old 07-15-2016, 11:47 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Get your facts straight. I never once complained about his prices.

Get your facts straight. I called him a slime ball because Ken Ham is nothing but another money scheming con artist, on top of being one of the most dishonest humans around who thinks the US Constitution does not apply to him.

I think Dan Barker sums it up quite nicely.

OK what do you call a person who runs off at the mouth making false accusations about someone and who has all their facts wrong? That would be you.
Dan Barker would do well to actually READ the Constitution. He'd realize there is nothing unconstitutional about even taking kids to a church, much less an ark exhibit.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Two fictional characters from a book written by Bronze Age goat-herders?

There's a chance Buddha actually existed.
Siddhartha Gautama (the Buddha) actually DID exist. The imaginary story of him flying up to heaven off a mountain in Sri Lanka, on the other hand, is a fairy tale copied by both the Christ and Mohammed stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.