Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 07:20 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well done. The fact that you are so offended here shows me that atheists don't really even buy into
the atheist mentality. Deep down somewhere, I have no doubt that you know that God exists. And atheist bury that by going on the attack against Christianity, piling mock or fishing for Bible contradictions or negative stories about Christians because that you think that somehow invalidates our faith.

But if we are to truly accept that there is no God and we are only here by random meaningless forces, then everything I said is true. The love you have for your family and friends is nothing more than a chemical reaction in your brain. It doesn't matter if someone mr. charity of the year or a lying scoundrel, we all end up as compost heap. You're right. It is garbage because it's a lie. We are all created by God as unique human beings and every life is precious to Him.

Matthew 10:22 Thank you for proving the Bible yet again.

The rest of your rant is just nonsense not worth my time or effort to address.
Ahhh.. the persecution verse!

Old 07-16-2016, 07:25 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Yes, I was really trying to hold out an olive branch to TRANSPONDER. Taking the high road is much better than returning evil for evil. We should all try to get along on these boards.
For what it's worth, I don't doubt you. Whenever someone religious says they're praying for me, I thank them. It doesn't mean anything to me either way, but it means something significant for them, and I appreciate that.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:44 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Well done. The fact that you are so offended here...
Ha...oh, trust me son, you'd have to work much harder to offend me. You give yourself far too much credit.

No, I was just pointing out the fact that what I quoted, like so much of what you spew here, is baseless garbage. And you come back to spew more, further underscoring my point. At least you are consistent.

Quote:
...shows me that atheists don't really even buy into the atheist mentality. Deep down somewhere, I have no doubt that you know that God exists.
Well, I've expressly stated I don't consider myself an atheist. Not surprised you missed, or ignored that.

Quote:
And atheist bury that by going on the attack against Christianity, piling mock or fishing for Bible contradictions or negative stories about Christians because that you think that somehow invalidates our faith.
Aside from pointing out and criticizing the nonsensical dead end of literalism, which doesn't comprise an attack, you'll not find a post of mine where I "attack" Christianity.

As far as "knowing" god exists, no human does. That surpasses what any human knows, or ever has. As it stands, I'd be as justified believing in Odin or Cthulhu as in Yahweh.

Quote:
But if we are to truly accept that there is no God and we are only here by random meaningless forces, then everything I said is true. The love you have for your family and friends is nothing more than a chemical reaction in your brain. It doesn't matter if someone mr. charity of the year or a lying scoundrel, we all end up as compost heap.
Quite possibly. There is no reason for anyone to believe, or to pretend to know, that we are any more cosmically significant than a pile of carpenter ants. Yet, whether it be random chemical reactions or something divine and unknown, I enjoy my life, I value joy and other people, I love my family, I try to help others. If all those things are merely illusory, or ultimately meaningless, I am fine with that and will keep pushing on.

Quote:
You're right. It is garbage because it's a lie. We are all created by God as unique human beings and every life is precious to Him.
If you feel that, and it gives your life meaning, that's great for you. I mean that. Of course not everyone believes that way, and it doesn't make them wrong, or lessen the worth of their lives. It is, after all, just your personal belief and opinion.

Quote:
Matthew 10:22 Thank you for proving the Bible yet again.
Wow. Matt 10:22 compels you to be hypocritical and to lie and insult? And it proves the Bible? Cool! Is everyone else who's part of the global body of Christians aware of this? It should put to rest so much controversy!

Quote:
Yeah. Truth hurts, don't it?

Last edited by Griffis; 07-16-2016 at 08:00 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 07:44 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I take you at your word, and mean that. I don't think of you as a mean spirited person.
Yea, I've had a person who told me she has me in her prayers but she doesn't believe in God. It is just a kind way of showing love and empathy. She prays to whatever might/will hear her. I never take it as being insensitive to my beliefs.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:35 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Ahhh.. the persecution verse!
Like clockwork.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:05 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Ha...oh, trust me son, you'd have to work much harder to offend me. You give yourself far too much credit.

No, I was just pointing out the fact that what I quoted, like so much of what you spew here, is baseless garbage. And you come back to spew more, further underscoring my point. At least you are consistent.

Then either ignore me or disprove my points. It is not my goal to offend you, but your adjectives suggest otherwise. Sorry not buying the denial act.

Quote:

Well, I've expressly stated I don't consider myself an atheist. Not surprised you missed, or ignored that.
You sound just like every other anti-Christian person on here. Exactly in attitude, tone and content. Excuse me if I can't tell you apart from the other dozen other people attacking me with the same rhetoric.

Quote:

Aside from pointing out and criticizing the nonsensical dead end of literalism, which doesn't comprise an attack, you'll not find a post of mine where I "attack" Christianity.

As far as "knowing" god exists, no human does. That surpasses what any human knows, or ever has. As it stands, I'd be as justified believing in Odin or Cthulhu as in Yahweh.
Bold claim, but it's baseless. There are many Christians out there who experience a very real personal relationship with Jesus Christ. To smugly claim that it is just in their imagination is not only offensive, but ignorant.

Quote:

Quite possibly. There is no reason for anyone to believe, or to pretend to know, that we are any more cosmically significant than a pile of carpenter ants. Yet, whether it be random chemical reactions or something divine and unknown, I enjoy my life, I value joy and other people, I love my family, I try to help others. If all those things are merely illusory, or ultimately meaningless, I am fine with that and will keep pushing on.
Well good for you. But what do you tell someone who is handed a lousy hand in life and they can't enjoy their life. Just keep on pushing on so one day they will suddenly not exist anymore? How sad and depressing. People need hope and encouragement. Atheism offers nothing.

Quote:

Wow. Matt 10:22 compels you to be hypocritical and to lie and insult? And it proves the Bible? Cool! Is everyone else who's part of the global body of Christians aware of this? It should put to rest so much controversy!
You haven't proven that I have lied about a single thing so epic fail there. Nope, it explains why I will always 100% never have a friendly discussion with an atheist.

Quote:

Yeah. Truth hurts, don't it?
Not if I reject your version of the truth.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:40 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Nope, God created the life, not you.
Nope. You're wrong. I would have been the father of the child, that would be the one that deposits the sperm not your god. ...and by your skewed reasoning that person has the right to kill the child. What an odd world you live in!

Old 07-17-2016, 12:04 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Nope. You're wrong. I would have been the father of the child, that would be the one that deposits the sperm not your god. ...and by your skewed reasoning that person has the right to kill the child. What an odd world you live in!
All you did was provide the physical components. You didn't create the person's personality, talents, their soul and spirit. It would be like the flour and baking pan claiming that they created the cake, not the baker.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:53 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
I'm going to ask you something, Jeff -- something direct and unequivocal:

On this board, you are the representative of your church, and a representative (among several) of your faith. You are, effectively, the 'face' of your religion in discussions such as this.

My question is:

Accepting for the moment that you are one of this forums' primary points-of-contact for those wishing to learn of Christianity, what have you taught us? What are you demonstrating about your faith?

All that I've learned from watching you is that Christians are hard-headed, stubborn, occasionally arrogant, sometimes unreasonable and quite often intolerant. I've seen few, if any, examples of how Christians can be charitable, kind, tolerant, fair-minded, or anything else that the Bible purports them to be.

Now, for the record: I know that's not necessarily the case. So, given the above -- what are a newcomer's first impressions of Christianity likely to be when they meet you?

Think about that for a few minutes.

You are a reflection of your faith.
Your behavior -- as a Christian -- demonstrates what we might expect from Christianity as a whole.

Am I to accept that Christianity is a kind, tolerant, peaceful religion, as you say, or should I judge you by your actions -- actions that continually suggest the exact opposite?

You're the only one that can determine that, Jeff.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:57 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
All you did was provide the physical components. You didn't create the person's personality, talents, their soul and spirit.
Not that there is any such thing as a 'soul' but of course I did! It's all in the genes. They are passed on through the physical parents.

Quote:
It would be like the flour and baking pan claiming that they created the cake, not the baker.
Your foolish analogies are preposterous..and somewhat infantile but I'll play. The baker would be me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.