Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 09:14 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You need to read the Bible again because your conclusions are way off base. Despite spanning several authors separated by hundreds of years, the message of the Bible and God's nature remains consistent. Jesus is foretold all the way back in Genesis and even the earliest books like Genesis give remarkable detail about other cultures like Egypt. The other mythologies talk about their fantasy gods. The Bible talks about real life people like Pharaoh and his court. If the Bible is not history then ALL ancient writings must be works of fiction.
There is a plethora of names for god and gods in the bible. In fact, some of them originated from the indigenous Canaanite tribes that were there, from which the Hebrews split off from. They then INVENTED their coming from Egypt, and archaeology backs that up. As such, the Pentateuch has numerous names for gods. And yes, the plural gods.

Elohim, as example is plural, due to the '-im' ending. It can in no way be viewed as singular in ancient Hebrew. The singular is a modern construct, to fit the narrative. The ancient Hebrews worshiped numerous gods, not just one.

Guess who else worshiped El or Eloah and Elohim? The Canaanites. Get versed in reality of history, Jeff. It will open up a world of understanding you do not possess at this point.

Want biblical proof?

The noun elohim is used with a plural verb (in Hebrew) in 1 Samuel 28:13. The witch of Endor told Saul that she saw "gods" (elohim) ascending out of the earth. The English versions mistranslated the plural. Why? Because they were done by men. And supposedly on purpose, to align with the story of one god. The original texts were clear it was plural.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:23 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
You need to read the Bible again because your conclusions are way off base. Despite spanning several authors separated by hundreds of years, the message of the Bible and God's nature remains consistent.
This is patently false, The inconsistencies and contradictions are legion. This is just one example of platitudes and doctrines stated as fact that simply are NOT true.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:27 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Since this went off topic on the Ark Park.... did 2 of every book being referenced, or 2 of every denomination being referenced, also sail on the Ark?

I sure wish 2 velociraptors were on the Ark because of the Creation Museum Dinosaurs and all. Maybe 2 Bigfoot as well. That would be spectacular.

Hence, the Ark may end up floating away tomorrow because we've had about 5 inches of rain the last couple of days.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It doesn't mention the sun rose or that they did many other things during that time but they did.
So you're basically admitting that you assume things in order to make things fit... with no actual evidence that what you assume is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Nonetheless, God pleaded with them for 100 years.
Why? Didn't he know they wouldn't go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not sure we can really say that it would have held 10 million people. But God is sovereign, he is all-knowing. He knew only 8 would be on it. He knew that because he knew the rest were tainted by sin and they were unwilling and unable to repent.
So if he knew only 8 would be on it. Why did he plead with people for 100 years?

Quote:
TYes, He knew, in spite of His pleading, that only 8 would be on it.
Then waste his time pleading? What an odd chap you worship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
They were floating more than 40 days and nights.

Many xians are ignorant to that part of the story
Nearly a year actually!

Quote:
Despite spanning several authors separated by hundreds of years, the message of the Bible and God's nature remains consistent.
Now you're just being daft! What about all the books that were thrown out? What about all the additions. If the Bible 'message' has remained consistent, then which message? The Protestent Old Testament? The Slavonic Old Testament. The Eastern Orthodox Old Testament or the Catholic Old Testament? They contain books that they believe are ordained and preserved by God that are missing from the one you probably use. Does your particular 'consistent' Bible contain 1 Esdras, 2 Esdras, Tobit, Judith, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, 3 Maccabees, 4 Maccabees, Odes, Wisdom of Solomon, Sirach, and the Letter of Jeremiah?

If the Bible has been preserved by your god's providential oversight and care, why haven't the above been preserved? Do you have some special insight into your god that says the above are not holy writings or written by 'God's hand' or blessed by the church...which church?

Does your Bible exclude 103 verses that are in the Catholic and Orthodox Book of Esther? Does your book of Daniel exclude three whole sections that are in the Catholic and Orthodox Bibles? Also, in the Catholic and Orthodox Bibles you will find:

...The Prayer of Azariah and Song of the Three Holy Children that are included between Daniel 3:23-24. Susanna, that is included as Daniel 13.
Bel and the Dragon is included as Daniel 14. These are not in the Protestant Old Testament. That Bible even left out an entire Psalm...Psalm 151.

...and there you go telling us how the Bible is consistent and unchanging!! Ye gods!

Quote:
The Bible talks about real life people like Pharaoh and his court.
The books about Paddington Bear mention Paddington station. The books about Sherlock Holmes mention Baker street in London. I've been there. I've actually seen it. So what point are you making?

Last edited by Rafius; 07-19-2016 at 01:02 AM..

Old 07-19-2016, 06:00 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,975,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Nonetheless, God pleaded with them for 100 years.
Quote:
Rafius: Why? Didn't he know they wouldn't go?
Yes, He did know. The problem was that they didn't know. He had to show them just how messed up they were.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio
I'm not sure we can really say that it would have held 10 million people. But God is sovereign, he is all-knowing. He knew only 8 would be on it. He knew that because he knew the rest were tainted by sin and they were unwilling and unable to repent.
Quote:
Rafius: So if he knew only 8 would be on it. Why did he plead with people for 100 years?
See my answer above.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
TYes, He knew, in spite of His pleading, that only 8 would be on it.
Quote:
RafiusThen waste his time pleading? What an odd chap you worship!
It wasn't wasted time. He had to show the world how patient He is and longsuffering and show the world just how messed up they were.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:31 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Yes, He did know. The problem was that they didn't know. He had to show them just how messed up they were.

See my answer above.

It wasn't wasted time. He had to show the world how patient He is and longsuffering and show the world just how messed up they were.
What was the point of having to show to people how messed up their were if he was going to drown them and no one they knew would survive? Sorry from the outside looking in it makes no sense for God to plead for 100 years with people he was going to destroy and only his chosen 8 would be alive to record what happened. If Noah was building the boat and harvesting supplies he must of had little time witnessing God pleading, unless every one was in the same location and then why a global flood.

It is a sort one can only believe as true if you already believe that everything in the Bible is absolutely true and factual. I would guess that those visiting the Ark Encounter would either marvel of how it displays how the flood happened and how Noah was able to provide for all the animal's needs because they already believe the entire story or they will see it as lacking in substance because the either do not believe or they view the story as allegorical. For example you see it as a massive structure easily capable of holding all the food and animals and I do not see it as large enough to contain the feed let alone space for any animal.

That is going to be a liability for the park in attracting visitors in my opinion.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:38 AM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
I can understand being frustrated by the use of taxpayer dollars but many posts seem to have gone well past that.

The religious fervor of the atheists in this thread is ironically funny to see....but people get passionate about their religions even if it's the religion of no-religion.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:03 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I can understand being frustrated by the use of taxpayer dollars but many posts seem to have gone well past that.

The religious fervor of the atheists in this thread is ironically funny to see....but people get passionate about their religions even if it's the religion of no-religion.
Technically it's not using tax payer dollars. There is a Kentucky Incentive for Tourism (I posted it awhile back). Since they are developing a zoo, a shopping center, etc... they qualified originally. Then, the state took it back based on religious principles. They sued and won it again on the Tourism principle.

That article doesn't cover the Kentucky Statute but you can find it if you scroll back in the thread.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:11 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is patently false, The inconsistencies and contradictions are legion. This is just one example of platitudes and doctrines stated as fact that simply are NOT true.
Just baffles me how someone can claim to be a Christian yet be a passionate enemy of God's word.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:18 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
Just baffles me how someone can claim to be a Christian yet be a passionate enemy of God's word.
Couldn't you say that to most every other sect of christianity that is not yours Jeff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.