Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 09:35 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Ok, Eusie.... This is just plain ole dumb, man. If I tell a mother, "Leave this place or I murder your kid!", and the woman doesn't leave, and I later kill her kid, it is not the mother's fault. The fact that you throw logic and common sense out the window when it comes to your god's actions should tell anyone reading it what a joke your religion really is.

The fact is, you have nothing but special pleading and "The Bible says so" in your arguments. It is sad that people like you can't see past this nonsense.
A more correct analogy would be a volcanologist warns a mother and child that the nearby volcano is about to erupt and to get to safety. She refuses and they both lose their life. It is the mother's fault.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:39 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Bigger newsflash! Oh yes there was. Stories were made up even then. Story-telling by way of entertainment existed even then.
As a matter of fact, Shan Hai Jing was a collection of fables (and a geographical account of pre-Qin Dynasty China), believed to have been written by unidentified authors sometime between 475 BCE and 220 CE.

Ghosts Throughout History | The World Of Chinese

Old 07-19-2016, 09:43 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Your point is irrelevant unless you can provide that the literary style and techniques were identical to modern day writers. Did the camp fire stories make up genealogies and fake races too?
Are my literary styles and techniques the same as yours? More to the point, are yours the same now as they were when you were six? Your argument is based on the misguided assumption that everyone is identical in methodology and skill, which is absurd.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:58 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Things would have been far different if God himself pleaded with each and every person all at the same time instead of this warning coming from a drunk building a boat claiming a bearded guy in the sky is making death threats, no?
That's not how it went.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:01 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
That's not how it went.
You mean thats not how it was planned from the beginning?

Old 07-19-2016, 10:10 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan collin View Post
I agree that I wouldn't project demand based on first day sales necessarily, but normally if there is a huge pent-up demand for something like this, the opening gala reflects that. If I were an investor, I'd be deeply uneasy.
I concur, but the sad part of this is that the "investor" ends up being the taxpayer in Williamstown, and they have no recourse if the bonds do not get repaid.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:12 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
A more correct analogy would be a volcanologist warns a mother and child that the nearby volcano is about to erupt and to get to safety. She refuses and they both lose their life. It is the mother's fault.
So your God is merely a volcano waiting to erupt? Yea... That actually does sound about right!

Fact is, you guys excuse all supposed behavior from your God under the guise that "He is God, therefore he can kill as he pleases" and it is simply ridiculous. It is ridiculous to think your God is all loving and omniscient, yet he had to throw a hissy fit and drown the world because he messed it up (or in Eusie's case, he planned for it to be messed up and then threw a hissy fit and killed everyone to show everyone how much he loved them....). They are both equally ridiculous.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:15 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
The other mythologies talk about their fantasy gods. The Bible talks about real life people like Pharaoh and his court.
I've said repeatedly I believe there is some actual history in the books of The Bible. And that some archaeological finds have supported some biblical writings concerning certain kings, cities, wars, and so on.

Personally, I don't then deduce from this that everything in the Bible must then be 100% accurate history, nor do I feel this is the least bit important to the worth of The Bible, but we've had this discussion before.

Just to re-state it though, it brings to my mind Homeric writings concerning Troy and the Trojan War. This was considered pure legend for centuries, until Troy was actually uncovered in an archaeological dig.

We now know that Troy existed and the Trojan War actually took place. But this does not mean that other parts of Homer's works (Odysseus and his men battling a cyclops or getting hypnotized by the siren songs of mermaids) are all historical fact.

I realize you consider The Bible the inerrant Word of God, and that's fine. Many people see it as some history placed within and alongside poetry, legend and myth, which convey a deeper philosophical or spiritual truth than mere fact.

Quote:
If the Bible is not history then ALL ancient writings must be works of fiction.
This sort of black-and-white, all-or-nothing attitude is really indefensible nonsense. It is like Eusebius' talking about "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" when some people find certain parts of The Bible objectionable, or dislike stories of Yahweh destroying the world to punish humankind, etc., and they consider this illogical and harsh or whatever, so they then dismiss the entire Bible as having no value, no wisdom, nothing positive, which is, of course, untrue.

Making a statement like "Of course every letter of The Bible is completely true and factual, and if it's not, then no other writings from any culture from the ancient world can have any truth to them" is ridiculous. It only serves to show you reject the idea of undergoing actual thought processes when thinking or talking about these things. That, where The Bible is concerned, you either fear or dismiss using rationality or critical thinking. Again, that is your prerogative, but I think it causes you to miss out on a lot that could be enlightening or informative for you. That's really not for me to say though. I'm not your judge. Hey, whatever gets you through the night.

Quote:
Just baffles me how someone can claim to be a Christian yet be a passionate enemy of God's word.
There are millions of Christians who feel many parts of The Bible are meant to be allegorical or symbolic and are more legend and myth than actual history.

Serious, honest, simple, direct question: do you consider these people, who think of themselves as Christians, as somehow being "enemies of God's word?"

In your estimation, are they not "real" Christians?

I'd really like to know your stance on this.

Quote:
One of the main reasons why the books you mentioned are not in our Bible is that Jesus and his disciples NEVER recognized them as the Word of God.
First off, obviously nobody can actually know this. That's silly. For one thing, The Bible is relatively silent regarding the last couple of decades of Jesus' life. For another, how can anyone possibly claim to know which ancient Hebraic texts Jesus or his disciples used to a 100% degree of certainty? Is it your assertion that everything Jesus and his disciples ever said, or did, or studied, or preached about is included in the Gospels?

Quote:
They frequently quoted the scriptures and never once made reference to these other books. Neither did Josephus.
Again, that really proves nothing and is meaningless, unless you claim that every single bit of Jesus' life, all he said and did, and learned, and taught, is in The Bible. Maybe you do believe this?

Quote:
Also, if the teachings in these books are completely contradictory to the mass majority of the other books, that makes them suspect like teaching purgatory or praying for the dead. That goes against the very teachings from Christ.
Well, some of the apocryphal books you speak of are not from the OT period, but from after the death of Jesus. Many of these were in use by plenty of early Christian sects, until the canonical books of The Bible were set by a Council of Bishops in the late 4th century (not at the earlier Council of Nicea, as is commonly claimed.) Since I brought this up, is was actually over three centuries after Jesus' death that it was decided, and became part of church canonical teachings, that Jesus was divine and of the same substance as The Father, which constituted an "official" rejection of Arianism. Before this time, there were Christian sects which did not view Jesus as divine. After the end of the 4th century, many of these sects were literally wiped out. Small towns where such "heresies" were held to had every man, woman and child killed.

But I digress.

Quote:
So what? Are you really suggesting that ancient writers adopted the exact same literary style as modern day writers? Newflashes, book stores didn't exist back there. There wasn't a market to create works of fiction. Instead, the Bible was carefully preserved letter by painstakingly letter. The dead sea scrolls showed just how little has changed after thousands of years of producing manuscripts.
There is definitely some truth to what you say. SOME truth. I do feel it is remarkable some of the archaeological and "stumbled upon" findings (the latter in the case of the Dead Sea Scrolls) deviate, in many cases, very little from the biblical books we know today. At the same time, the Dead Sea Scrolls contain many writings that are NOT now part of the accepted biblical canon, though many are from the same period from which we have the earliest known canonical writings. Some of this holds true for the Nag Hammadi texts as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
God teaches you and me things would could not otherwise learn even though you and I are going to die. So why waste time teaching you and me? Why teach the antediluvians the lesson they needed to learn even if they too were going to die? Because this life is just a prelude to the next. What we learn in this life carries over to the life after our resurrection.
This sort of thing, while perhaps a valid belief for you, and I'm not trying to call you out for it, but this is where, to me, all logic and rationality breaks down and causes me to reject the idea of an all-knowing, all-powerful, benevolent deity.

Other than perhaps wanting little puppets to amuse him, my question becomes "why?"

The idea of free will is not compatible with an omniscient, omnipotent AND benevolent god.

I ask again: did Yahweh not know that Adam and Eve would succumb to temptation in the Garden? Did he not see this coming? Did he not create the serpent? Was he not aware that Adam and Eve would sin, eat the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, covering all subsequent humans in original sin which would involve eternal punishment for those who did not turn to him?

Did God not know that humanity would once again turn wicked and corrupt, compelling him to destroy nearly everybody and everything in a global flood?

If he did not know these things, he's far from omniscient, yet The Bible says God knows us even before we are born--every hair on each of our heads, every beat of our hearts through our lifetimes. Surely he MUST then know in advance who will come to dwell with him and who will be consigned to flames of Hell forever.

If this is the case, I contend that life, under such circumstances, has no more "meaning" than life without the belief in gods.

I have to go back to Epicurus:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Old 07-19-2016, 10:37 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So your God is merely a volcano waiting to erupt? Yea... That actually does sound about right!

Fact is, you guys excuse all supposed behavior from your God under the guise that "He is God, therefore he can kill as he pleases" and it is simply ridiculous. It is ridiculous to think your God is all loving and omniscient, yet he had to throw a hissy fit and drown the world because he messed it up (or in Eusie's case, he planned for it to be messed up and then threw a hissy fit and killed everyone to show everyone how much he loved them....). They are both equally ridiculous.
Good grief, do you blame God for everything?? Man has zero accountability? Is it God's fault that ISIS murders and tortures people? Man was extremely wicked but for some reason you think it is ridiculous or evil for God to erase that wickedness. So what's the alternate? Do nothing and let evil thrive. Even we would wipe ourselves out. We're heading towards that path again with more and more despicable leaders obtaining the ability to fire a nuke at any country they want.

Man is to blame. Man. Not God. God just cleans up our mess. You people need to wake up. Groups like ISIS and Hamas are descendants of these evil people that God wanted wiped out. They can't be reason with. They only have hate and murder in their hearts and extreme hatred for the Jews. Why the Jews? Out of all nations, this peaceful tiny nation is the focal point that could trigger WW3. Just like the Bible predicted. The Bible is real and true.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:45 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Good grief, do you blame God for everything?? Man has zero accountability? Is it God's fault that ISIS murders and tortures people? Man was extremely wicked but for some reason you think it is ridiculous or evil for God to erase that wickedness. So what's the alternate? Do nothing and let evil thrive. Even we would wipe ourselves out. We're heading towards that path again with more and more despicable leaders obtaining the ability to fire a nuke at any country they want.

Man is to blame. Man. Not God. God just cleans up our mess.
What's the last mess your god cleaned up? Seriously, name one.

Quote:
You people need to wake up. Groups like ISIS and Hamas are descendants of these evil people that God wanted wiped out.
I see you wear your racism on your sleeve. The REAL Jeff comes out.

BTW, you and I all know about the violent side of Hamas. I suspect you know nothing about the charitable side, which is why they have so much support among the Palestinian people. They fund grassroots services like nurseries, schools, orphanages, soup kitchens, women's activities, library services and even sporting clubs within a larger context of preaching and political discussions. In the 1990s, some 85% of its budget was allocated to the provision of social services.

85% of their budget, Jeff. EIGHTY-FIVE PERCENT! Name me ONE church in North America that spends 85% of their budget on social services, just one.

Quote:
They can't be reason with. They only have hate and murder in their hearts and extreme hatred for the Jews. Why the Jews? Out of all nations, this tiny nation is the focal point that could trigger WW3. Just like the Bible predicted. The Bible is real and true.
You just can't wait for the rapture can you? Which, BTW, is NOT biblical. It is people with your perceptions who just can't wait for a middle east war, can you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.