Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 07:54 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,557,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
That was the U.S. Government who mistreated the Native Americans. Christians were trying to help save them. Or are you joking again?
Sorry, no joke. To make it easy on you, I will spell it out for you if it was a joke from now on.

The saddest part is both my maternal and paternal Grandfathers were Christian pastors. And every time they went into town, a small Mayberry-like town, I got to see them treated like dirt by "kind, loving Christians". My parents were Christians and they were treated like sh*t too. I was denied service twice due to being Native. And do you know who those hateful bigoted people were? Yes, Christians who, like you, profess to love everyone. So, hey everyone, let's make America great again! Shall we?

Then I would see those same kind loving Christians heading into their whites-only Baptist churches.

It is a sad commentary when it is not the atheists, liberals or the scientists who put people off Christianity, it is the Christians themselves who make the religion experience like the Ark, a boat full of methane.

Now, if you excuse me, I have to put some dinosaur chow out for the ark experience. (That was a joke, Eubie. )

Old 07-15-2016, 07:55 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,989,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
In addition to the way the so-called Christians treated the Native Americans ... how about how they treated the Jews for nearly 2,000 years???? I mean, they even purport to worship a Jewish god! Yet there is a long bloody history of discrimination, persecution, oppression, massacres, the Inquisition, expulsion, degradation, the Crusades, humiliating decrees, Pogroms ... all directed against their Jewish neighbors.
That was mostly the Vatican government.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Sorry, no joke. To make it easy on you, I will spell it out for you if it was a joke from now on.

The saddest part is both my maternal and paternal Grandfathers were Christian pastors. And every time they went into town, a small Mayberry-like town, I got to see them treated like dirt by "kind, loving Christians". My parents were Christians and they were treated like sh*t too. I was denied service twice due to being Native. And do you know who those hateful bigoted people were? Yes, Christians who, like you, profess to love everyone. So, hey everyone, let's make America great again! Shall we?

Then I would see those same kind loving Christians heading into their whites-only Baptist churches.

It is a sad commentary when it is not the atheists, liberals or the scientists who put people off Christianity, it is the Christians themselves who make the religion experience like the Ark. A boat full of methane.

Now, if you excuse me, I have to put some dinosaur chow out for the ark experience. (That was a joke, Eubie. )
If they were truly Christians, they were very shameful. Just because a certain group of people go to a certain building with a name of "Baptist" or any other name tacked above its door does not a true Christian make. I've had Indian friends most of my life.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:00 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,342,496 times
Quote:
The poster, Norne, was writing about Adam and Eve and the problems associated with their sin, not the flood.
Did this supposedly omniscient, omnipotent, benevolent god of yours not realize that Adam and Eve would succumb to temptation in the Garden? Was he surprised they ate of the fruit?

Did he not see it coming that once again humanity would become corrupt and evil and he'd have to wipe away the vast bulk of living things (the Flood myth) to prove his point?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:05 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,335,773 times
Quote:
Yes, I was incapable of recognizing your joke. Sorry, but if it isn't spelled out, I don't get it.

That was the U.S. Government who mistreated the Native Americans. Christians were trying to help save them. Or are you joking again?

Maybe he can? Who knows?

My B.S. meter just broke. Christians were helping the indians. The Govt. was killing them. The Christians here in Michigan, I know this as part of the history of this area, is the Christians were feeding the indians when they would come to their farm looking for food.

That was not the fault of Christians but the Govt.

I don't believe it is right to point fingers either, and not point fingers at Christians.

I don't hate you. I love and care for you and everyone.

The Anglican and Catholics loved the natives so much in Canada that they tried and to some part succeeded in beating the native out of them. I am quite surprised to find out that during the 1800s that the majority of Americans were not Christians or at least not voting for their governments.

True many Christians were working for the betterment of the natives, but they were opposed by other Christians. I believe that it was an effort to make the natives Christian that was behind the outlawing of the sun dance, potlatch or other aboriginal traditions. Documents from the time show that this was in accordance with what the general population supported or demanded of their governments. That some Christians opposed it is to their credit but I think you are wrong to imply that all or most Christians opposed it.

You are pointing your finger at who? Certainly away from Christians. If Christians were not at all responsible for the actions of their government in the 19th century who was? Were atheists or Muslims running the country for that period of time?

7,447 posts, read 2,840,049 times
Quote:
There are Christian PhD'd scientists who disagree with your PhD'd scientists as to the flood. It is as simple as that.
Yes at a ratio of about 1 to 10000 or so.
Do you understand what the word consensus means? Hint: it does not mean every single person on the planet is in complete agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Did this supposedly omniscient, omnipotent, benevolent god of yours not realize that Adam and Eve would succumb to temptation in the Garden? Was he surprised they ate of the fruit?

Did he not see it coming that once again humanity would become corrupt and evil and he'd have to wipe away the vast bulk of living things (the Flood myth) to prove his point?
He not only saw Adam and Eve sin, He ensured it would happen. He is the one Who made Adam fleshly and soulish. He planted the forbidden tree in the middle of the garden. He created the crafty serpent and put it in the garden. He stacked the deck against Adam and Eve. He knew humanity would be corrupt to the point of having to wipe out the majority. He had to teach them. He pleaded with them for 100 years to turn from their evil. They refused. He knew they would refuse. They didn't know. They didn't believe God. They needed to see where their evil gets them. But do you not see that God is going to save all of them in the future? You see, (well, maybe like them you don't) but you are looking at the flood and Eden with tunnel vision rather than stepping back to see the whole picture.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Yes at a ratio of about 1 to 10000 or so.
Do you understand what the word consensus means? Hint: it does not mean every single person on the planet is in complete agreement.
Do you understand what "appealing to the human" means? It proves NOTHING. Or the fallacy "if everyone believes it it must be so" which likewise is an argumentum ad populum fallacy.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:09 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,962,971 times
Quote:
That was mostly the Vatican government.
Mostly ... yet Martin Luther preached some really vicious anti-Semitic things too, so the Jewish people did suffer under the Protestant Reformation as well.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:09 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,557,026 times
Quote:
If they were truly Christians, they were very shameful. Just because a certain group of people go to a certain building with a name of "Baptist" or any other name tacked above its door does not a true Christian make. I've had Indian friends most of my life.
Some of my best friends are .... <that was a joke>

And you are fine with them burning in hell if they don't follow your Christian beliefs, right? Maybe Jeffy can tell them to swallow their vomit too?

Thankfully, there are a boat load (pun intended, Eubie) of Christians who really live up to Christ's teachings. And there are just as many atheists, liberals, and scientists who behave in kind loving behavior without the condemnation.

Thank you Eubie, Jeffy et al for helping me to understand the hearts of people who believe in the Ark experience. I was not surprised to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.