Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 10:24 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times

Advertisements

Scientists, like doctors, have specialized training. I don't see why that's difficult to comprehend. Peace

Old 08-03-2017, 10:26 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Scientists, like doctors, have specialized training. I don't see why that's difficult to comprehend. Peace
You said it much better than I could.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:51 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baptistfundie View Post
i've noticed that. I've also noticed many people posting on this board saying all sorts of things about religion, science, and other fields that very likely do not have education in those fields.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc01 View Post
i've noticed that you have a bad confirmation bias. You have no problem accepting a few scientists' views, all while ignoring the thousands and thousands of others that disagree with them.
boom!

Old 08-03-2017, 01:19 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
I've noticed that you have a bad confirmation bias. You have no problem accepting a few scientists' views, all while ignoring the thousands and thousands of others that disagree with them.
The same could be said of just about any argument on both sides, from global warming, to evolution, to the age of the earth. People tend to believe those that they wish to believe.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:37 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
The same could be said of just about any argument on both sides, from global warming, to evolution, to the age of the earth. People tend to believe those that they wish to believe.
I believe the point was that in the questions of global warming, to evolution, to the age of the earth, the vast preponderance of scientific opinion runs contrary to what some people prefer to believe. Tell these same people that there is a child sex slavery ring being run out of the basement of a DC pizza parlor by Hilary and Obama though, and they are all over it.

Right wing conspiracy genius Edgar Welch.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:13 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
No I stated that having a science degree does not make you an expert in all fields of science. I promoted my degrees only because FUNDY kept saying that Ham was qualified because of his degree but Nye is not qualified to be in a debate because his degree is in engineering. So if Ham is an expert because he has a bachelor's than as I do too so I must be an expert. It was my attempt to show him how silly his idea that a single undergraduate degree gave expertise in unrelated fields.

The only Bible Believers I have no respect for are those who lie about stuff and other people to support their beliefs. I certainly do not accept the notion that a person is free to claim that because they are Christian they are moral and therefore get to lie and misrepresent others as much as they want.

Having a bachelor's degree does not make you an expert in your own field and it certainly does not mean that you even have any formal education in any other fields of science. It does give you knowledge and even more importantly, the skill set to understand the scientific method and to be able to evaluate the works of others better than not having that education. My citing of my education was used ONLY to show FUNDY how silly his claims that Ham was qualified to be in a debate but Nye was not.
The original point, made by 90s, not you (and I never claimed you made that point so you can drop the false accusations) was that an intelligent person possibly couldn't believe in the Biblical account. I gave an example of people who have doctorate degrees and believe in the account. Most people would probably agree with me that it takes a fair amount of intelligence to earn such a degree. But instead of just admitting that the position was wrong and ridiculous, you and 90s scrambled to somehow devalue college degrees as not really carrying any weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post

Remember I have never stated that I would never trust a Christian whereas you are on record as having said you would never trust an atheist. Don't project your prejudices onto me. And a day or so you accused me of saying something I do not recall saying but would not tell me what it was or when I said it so still waiting to find which of my words you twisted.

And on top of all of BaptistFundie complaints that Nye was not qualified to be in that debate and should not be called the science guy, it was Ham who challenged Nye and it was AIG who also called him the Science Guy. And Jeff, you only seem to accept any type of degree as a qualification for both knowledge and intelligence for people who support what you view and readily dismiss those if anyone you disagree with. If you think that a person with a PhD in Math is both more intelligent and also more knowledgeable about fossils and evolution that all those with PhDs in paleontology then I think we will disagree.
My point stands. There are many intelligent people out there who believe that the Bible is true. OTOH, atheists desperately need the biblical acccounts to be false in order to maintain their fake reality. That level of bias makes their claims suspect and highly questionable.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:28 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The original point, made by 90s, not you (and I never claimed you made that point so you can drop the false accusations) was that an intelligent person possibly couldn't believe in the Biblical account. I gave an example of people who have doctorate degrees and believe in the account. Most people would probably agree with me that it takes a fair amount of intelligence to earn such a degree. But instead of just admitting that the position was wrong and ridiculous, you and 90s scrambled to somehow devalue college degrees as not really carrying any weight.
No, I haven't tried to "devalue college degrees as not really carrying any weight". So keep your nonsense out of my mouth. What I said, and still stand behind, is you can not be what most would call "intelligent" and believe in things like a global flood, talking animals, etc. Not going through the list again.

Also, being "book smart" and being intelligent are two different things. You need MUCH more than mere book smarts to be intelligent. Some of the dumbest people I know have college degrees... Just look at the orange buffoon you guys voted into office. On the flip side, some of the smartest people I know have no degree.

The point it, you can have a degree and be intelligent, or not. You can have little education and be intelligent, or not. Having a degree in say, engineering, does not mean you are ignorant to other sciences. Having a degree in earth sciences or something like that does not mean you are smart when it comes to other sciences. This isn't some black or white thing like you make it out to be. To bolster my point, look at the definition of intelligence....

1)the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

Just because you have the ability to acquire knowledge (like getting a degree, for instance), does not mean you are applying the knowledge and skills.

Quote:
My point stands. There are many intelligent people out there who believe that the Bible is true. OTOH, atheists desperately need the biblical acccounts to be false in order to maintain their fake reality. That level of bias makes their claims suspect and highly questionable.
There are no "intelligent" people who believe the Bible is literal. They could be book smart, but the intelligence part is a no go. Intelligent people do not believe in talking donkeys, flying zombies, worldwide floods that covered mountains......

Fact is, atheists don't "need" anything of the sort. In fact, it is you who seems to have an overwhelming need to feel like people hate you and that they are, in fact, the people who need to believe in fake things. The bias is from you and other fundies. I mean, for Christ sake Jeff, you have admitted that you won't believe a single word said by an atheists, regardless of how true it is. How is that not bias? You have admitted that if something were to prove your God to be false, you would still believe in him. How is that not bias? Are you just joking here, or are you serious? If you are serious, you should take a long hard look in the mirror, because the bias comes from you.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:39 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
No, I haven't tried to "devalue college degrees as not really carrying any weight". So keep your nonsense out of my mouth. What I said, and still stand behind, is you can not be what most would call "intelligent" and believe in things like a global flood, talking animals, etc. Not going through the list again.

Also, being "book smart" and being intelligent are two different things. You need MUCH more than mere book smarts to be intelligent. Some of the dumbest people I know have college degrees... Just look at the orange buffoon you guys voted into office. On the flip side, some of the smartest people I know have no degree.

The point it, you can have a degree and be intelligent, or not. You can have little education and be intelligent, or not. Having a degree in say, engineering, does not mean you are ignorant to other sciences. Having a degree in earth sciences or something like that does not mean you are smart when it comes to other sciences. This isn't some black or white thing like you make it out to be. To bolster my point, look at the definition of intelligence....

1)the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.

Just because you have the ability to acquire knowledge (like getting a degree, for instance), does not mean you are applying the knowledge and skills.

There are no "intelligent" people who believe the Bible is literal. They could be book smart, but the intelligence part is a no go. Intelligent people do not believe in talking donkeys, flying zombies, worldwide floods that covered mountains......

Fact is, atheists don't "need" anything of the sort. In fact, it is you who seems to have an overwhelming need to feel like people hate you and that they are, in fact, the people who need to believe in fake things. The bias is from you and other fundies. I mean, for Christ sake Jeff, you have admitted that you won't believe a single word said by an atheists, regardless of how true it is. How is that not bias? You have admitted that if something were to prove your God to be false, you would still believe in him. How is that not bias? Are you just joking here, or are you serious? If you are serious, you should take a long hard look in the mirror, because the bias comes from you.

How can you slam someone else for "bias" when you just said that anyone that believes in the literal rendering of the Word of G-d is not intelligent? I'd say that's a hefty dose of bias, in all honesty, wouldn't you? Peace

Old 08-03-2017, 04:15 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

Thanks for the clarification, either your wording or my reading was incorrect. Unlike some others I do not think one has a lack of intelligence for believing what you do. I have little respect for those believers who claim that there is actual geological evidence for a global flood, especially if they have any background in a related subject. More honest would be claiming that you believe it to be true based on your faith than to accept what Ham claims as science as they is no actual science being conducted rather just cherry picking a bit of work here and there and claiming that is how it was for the entire world. Lois Aggazi, a devout Christian who would not accept evolution due to his religious faith demos tate that most of Europe and North America were covered with ice sheets over many periods and the sediments previously thought to be flood deposits could not been. His work was before the last century. I get to see deposits laid by those glaciers every day and there is no way, unless gravity worked different, that flood waters could lay those deposits.

Having two university degrees, as does my wife, teaches you how little you actually know about other disciplines. In addition for every creationist biologist there are at least 97 who do not accept that as science. No creationist geologists has ever published a peer review paper showing deposits from a global flood. By comparison there are at least 4 journals that are independent of each other that publish peer reviewed papers on glaciers and glacial deposits, journals that do marine, fluvial and aeolian deposits. That should tell you how far from mainline science creationists really are.

I am an atheist in that I do not believe there is any proper evidence for any of the gods. How can that be fake? The only thing false is your claims that we are fake or that we hate your God. At least I have taken the time to examine the stuff that creationists have published. You have ruled evolution as a lie without a rudimentary understanding of it and based only on your religious belief. You get so upset if someone puts down your Bible or your God but you have no problem insulting all those we a different worldview than yours, atheists, scientists, liberal Christians and non Christians. You demand respect for your belief and will give no respect for other beliefs and non beliefs.

Your own posts ooze with bias, and hate. I don't need your Bible to be proven wrong. If it ever proven correct I would need to reexamine my pisition. You have already stated that nothing could make you change your mind on God. That is where the bias lies, people who will neither accept any evidence that counters their beliefs nor even be bothered to look at that evidence.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:45 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:

I'm going to throw this out there, though you'll probably ignore it (or have ignored me). For what it's worth at this point, this is not intended as an attack (or condescension, or insults, or whatever you're inevitably going to label it). It's intended as an observation.

No, we (athiests and non-Christians) don't 'need' the Bible to be false; you want that to be the case, so you can continue to justify your fear and anger and have something at which to direct them.

If you took a moment to slow down, you'd see that we're not your enemy, no matter how badly you want us to be. We want a world where what a person believes doesn't matter, as long as they're a good, kind person. We want a world where religion (any religion) doesn't get in the way of building a just society.

In short, we want the kind of peaceful world Jesus tried to create, before religion mucked everything up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.