Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:08 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamonaManise View Post
Interesting PEW Research Study of Age Distribution of Various US Religions and Sects
I think so....we give them freedom to choose.....
We certainly did allow our children to choose their own belief systems. We simply did not push our beliefs on them. They are free to choose to this day.
They are very wise children, and we support them in everything they do.

That's what a responsible parent does. Teach your child to have critical thinking skills. I'm atheist, as are my adult kids, but if one of them chose to get involved in a religion, that is their choice, not mine. Same as politics. One happens to vote the way I do, the other doesn't (grrrrr). Regardless, they are adults, and we have robust discussions on political issues around the dinner table. We still love each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 08:10 PM

22,177 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Data suggests the next generation will be much less religious! YAY!
no, the factual data in the opening post linked article states clearly that atheism and agnosticism are declining worldwide
or as fishbrains states:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Pick your results first and keep asserting them regardless of the actual fact.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no, the factual data in the opening post linked article states clearly that atheism and agnosticism are declining worldwide
or as fishbrains states:

Let's be accurate.

In raw numbers, atheist/agnostics will increase.

But, primarily due to high birthrates in Muslim and Hindu countries, the percentage will decrease. Worldwide. In the US, atheistism will increase substantially.

And, just in case you think I am making this up, here is the direct quote:
Atheists, agnostics and other people who do not affiliate with any religion – though increasing in countries such as the United States and France – will make up a declining share of the world’s total population.
I'm sure you wanted to be completely accurate, right?

Old 07-12-2016, 08:26 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:

One issue with the poll....Atheists do not believe in religion, and they are not a religion.

The religious profile of the world is rapidly changing, driven primarily by differences in fertility rates and the size of youth populations among the world’s major religions, as well as by people switching faiths. Over the next four decades, Christians will remain the largest religious group, but Islam will grow faster than any other major religion. If current trends continue, by 2050 …
  • The number of Muslims will nearly equal the number of Christians around the world.
  • *Atheists, agnostics and other people who do not affiliate with any religion – though increasing in countries such as the United States and France – will make up a declining share of the world’s total population.
  • The global Buddhist population will be about the same size it was in 2010, while the Hindu and Jewish populations will be larger than they are today.
  • In Europe, Muslims will make up 10% of the overall population.
  • India will retain a Hindu majority but also will have the largest Muslim population of any country in the world, surpassing Indonesia.
  • *In the United States, Christians will decline* from more than three-quarters of the population in 2010 to two-thirds in 2050, and Judaism will no longer be the largest non-Christian religion. Muslims will be more numerous in the U.S. than people who identify as Jewish on the basis of religion.
  • Four out of every 10 Christians in the world will live in sub-Saharan Africa.

I live in the US and bullet #2 and #6 make my day! So again I will say with confidence that the data suggests the next generation will be much less religious! YAY! (here in the US)

Old 07-12-2016, 08:33 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
in other words, let's ignore the actual facts in the actual data, presented in the opening post.
and see what you want to see, even if the actual facts say something else altogether.
sort of like what someone said earlier.....oh look! it was you!
I have been quite mined. Does that give me some forum credibility?

With a little intellectual honesty, you would have included the part of my post where I noted that I was guessing at some other possible reasons for demographic trends. At no point did I make assertoions of truth.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:46 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Let's be accurate.

In raw numbers, atheist/agnostics will increase.

But, primarily due to high birthrates in Muslim and Hindu countries, the percentage will decrease. Worldwide. In the US, atheistism will increase substantially.

And, just in case you think I am making this up, here is the direct quote:
Atheists, agnostics and other people who do not affiliate with any religion – though increasing in countries such as the United States and France – will make up a declining share of the world’s total population.
I'm sure you wanted to be completely accurate, right?
For an accurate comparison it is always based upon the percentage each group makes up relative of the total at any given time.
We all know that.
In time to come...a GREATER percentage of the people of this world will be Religious...and LESS of a percentage will not be.
Religion is GAINING ground in this world.
Noting small population segments that contradict the overall trend...is not helpful to an accurate understanding. However helpful as a biased and intentionally skewed soothing of your angst it may be.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:52 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
It's clear that some here don't understand statistics, or the variables that play into this poll.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:03 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
It's clear that some here don't understand statistics, or the variables that play into this poll.
Correct. The religious on this thread keep pointing out the worldwide trend. They are correct, the CURRENT trend is for the growth in religious adherents to be faster than the growth of the A/A.

That doesn't mean that this trend will continue. It could skew even more strongly in favor of religious belief, or it could skew towards atheism. It has changed in the past, social factors will cause it to change in the future.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
They don't understand science so how could they understand stats.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:09 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
or as fishbrains states:
No it is their percentage that is declining not the actual jumbers. This can be partly explained by the fact that poorer countries are often more religious and have a higher birth rate. Counties like the US will be declining in their percentage of world population even with a growing population. Many of the countries that have a high percentage of atheists have very low natural birth rates and are growing through immigration, much of it from poorer countries.

More could be gleaned if there as data from twenty years earlier to see any tread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality