Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:04 PM

253 posts, read 558,274 times

Advertisements

Why are ardently self proclaimed Religious People so Hateful and Ignorant of Other Religious or Sects?
You have the Protests calling Mormons a sect, the Catholics don't even consider Mormons Christian...then you have these groups hating Muslims and the Muslims hating Jews, while the Jews thinking that we are all just a bunch of gentiles out to serve them. Then you have the Christians thinking all the Jews are evil for Killing Jesus......do any of you self righteous people ever bother to learn about a religion other than your own (and no I don't mean second hand biased information)?

Do you even bother to meet people and have friends from other faiths or sects? Or are you just to arrogant (which is looked down upon in all the religions mentioned above) to learn? Are you ignorant and like it that way? Or does your religion tell you to hate? If the answer is yes to the last three questions then I suggest you read your holy book and learn what it really means to be religious.

Last edited by janacanada; 03-07-2012 at 03:16 PM..

Old 03-07-2012, 03:17 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,047,326 times
It's because they have their own tradition, and feel they have the only right interpretation and every one else is wrong. Now - keep in mind that this is usually only the case in Orthodox or Conservative groups. The Ecumenical movement among differet religious groups has shown the ability of different groups, heck- different religions, to get along and engage in dialogue.

An orthodox or fundamentalist believer, in any religion, if they are a monotheist - by their very nature, cannot abide the thought of another group's religious ideas, or their gods. To them - there is no dialogue to engage in besides "you're wrong, we're right". THIS is why orthodox and fundamentalist groups don't play an active role in Theological discussions anymore - they don't have anything to add that we don't already know and have already relegated to the past.

Check out a typical attempt of Fundamentalists to engage in dialogue, and fail here: http://www.telecomtally.com/blog/201...va_1.html#more
Go to the section under Tanakh, and find Kevin DeYoung's post on Adam, and the ensuing replies and rebuttals.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
Why are ardently self proclaimed Religious People so Hateful and Ignorant of Other Religious or Sects?
You have the Protests calling Mormons a sect, the Catholics don't even consider Mormons Christian...then you have these groups hating Muslims and the Muslims hating Jews, while the Jews thinking that we are all just a bunch of gentiles out to serve them. Then you have the Christians thinking all the Jews are evil for Killing Jesus......do any of you self righteous people ever bother to learn about a religion other than your own (and no I don't mean second hand biased information)?
The great irony is that all these adherents profess to worship the same God, even if sometimes they like to say that a certain group doesn't.

I think part of it, with these groups specifically, is that they are so related. It'd be like finding out your father has a secret family a few towns over. You thought of your father in one way, you had all these ideas about who he was, but then suddenly you see that he had a different life altogether. It'd be upsetting. I feel that sometimes those who worship the Abrahamic god get that sort of protective feeling. "I'm part of the family my father really loves. Those other families are just lying/afterthoughts. Why can't they get it right?"

I imagine it would also be disconcerting to see others claim to know the god you believe in better than you do.

Something like that.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Religion teaches hate; many of the students of religion learn their lessons well.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:37 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
People are people no matter if they are/claim to be religious or are not. Some are sincere, kind and loving...Some are just plain mean, hateful and think they know it all...

Stereotyping gives the good people on both sides an undeserved kick in the head..

Old 03-07-2012, 03:39 PM

42 posts, read 46,811 times
Being a christian the cornestone commadment is love because God is love and being created in his likeness we have to live and walk in that love. As stated in John's gospel 13:34-35 I give you a new commandment: Love one another, as I have loved you, you, you love each other.
By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if you have love for each other.
And in 1 peter 1:22 Having purified your souls in obeying the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly with all your heart.

Everyone is free to choose his religion and what he wants to believe, i can't judge other religion. What i have to do is to make sure that i love everyone. In all religion and belive there is good and bad people and we cannot change it.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post

Do you even bother to meet people and have friends from other faiths or sects? Or are you just to arrogant (which is looked down upon in all the religions mentioned above) to learn? Are you ignorant and like it that way? Or does your religion tell you to hate? If the answer is yes to the last three questions then I suggest you read your holy book and learn what it really means to be religious.
As a Mormon, I can say without hesitation that 90% of what most people know about my religion comes from sources that are about as reliable as the National Enquirer would be as a source of world news. I don't care whether people agree with my beliefs or not, and that's the truth, but when they start posting inaccurate information about my Church's teachings, it really irritates me. I have corrected so much misinformation about Mormonism on this site, only to be told that either (1) I am lying about LDS beliefs, or (2) I don't really know what my Church teaches. Both of those statements are ludicrous.

Actually, Catholics and Muslims seem to be the most open-minded of all religious groups when it comes to discussing Mormonism.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:10 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,047,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Religion teaches hate; many of the students of religion learn their lessons well.
I would refer you to my earlier post, and qualify your initial statement with "some forms of Religion teach hate". It's the extremists and fundamentalists who are so proficient in the art of hate, not the average religious person walking down the street minding his own business.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:17 PM

254 posts, read 202,723 times
Because religion preaches hate and intolerance.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I would refer you to my earlier post, and qualify your initial statement with "some forms of Religion teach hate". It's the extremists and fundamentalists who are so proficient in the art of hate, not the average religious person walking down the street minding his own business.
They all teach it, it is just a matter of degrees. Intolerance of those with different views is systemic, from mild to rabid mad dog hatred. And only 'some' of the followers, again from a few to most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality