Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:04 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times

Advertisements

Just released today:

Which U.S. religious groups are oldest and youngest? | Pew Research Center

Here is their chart:

I'm a bit surprised that the SDA church has such a large number of younger people, but most of the rest are about what I expected. If your church group is not included, then there are not enough numbers in it to be statistically significant.

The obvious outcome of this is that those with a higher percentage of young people will grow, and vice-versa. The vice-versa includes most of the mainstream ones we already know, such as the SBC.

Looks like the atheists/agnostics/nones are going to have to compete with Muslims. Of course, this just shows percentages, and not raw numbers. One can go to the links to suss those out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 06:58 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
Look at this another way. Islam and Atheism are basically popular with teenagers. This is not an age known for spiritual awakening. It is known for crass behavior and rebellion.

Jewish on the other hand, has an almost equal breakdown. What was true for you as a teenager, is true as an adult, and remains true until old age.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:11 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Just released today:

Here is their chart:

I'm a bit surprised that the SDA church has such a large number of younger people, but most of the rest are about what I expected. If your church group is not included, then there are not enough numbers in it to be statistically significant.

The obvious outcome of this is that those with a higher percentage of young people will grow, and vice-versa. The vice-versa includes most of the mainstream ones we already know, such as the SBC.

Looks like the atheists/agnostics/nones are going to have to compete with Muslims. Of course, this just shows percentages, and not raw numbers. One can go to the links to suss those out.
Just shows to me how atheist parents brainwash their kids to be anti-religion and anti-God instead of letting their child freely choose their own belief system.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:23 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Just released today:

Here is their chart:

Still just assessing 5% of the whole, huh cup?
This gives a very poor view of how Religion figures into this world...but you have always seemed bent on looking at just that little piece of it.
I know why you do that...cuz as a Religion hater and obsessive basher, you like looking at the U.S. where Religion is decreasing...instead of the global trend that indicates growth, and especially amongst the youth. It gives you something skewed to your liking to look at...so you don't have to face up to The Reality of the Way of the World.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:28 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Just shows to me how atheist parents brainwash their kids to be anti-religion and anti-God instead of letting their child freely choose their own belief system.
Is this like looking at geology and coming up with evidence for creation?

Pick your results first and keep asserting them regardless of the actual fact.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:00 AM

22,143 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This gives a very poor view of how Religion figures into this world...but you have always seemed bent on looking at just that little piece of it.
I know why you do that...cuz as a Religion hater and obsessive basher, you like looking at the U.S. where Religion is decreasing...instead of the global trend that indicates growth, and especially amongst the youth. It gives you something skewed to your liking to look at...so you don't have to face up to The Reality of the Way of the World.
Golden is correct on this: atheists and agnostics are on the decline world wide; the link provided in the opening post confirms:

"Atheists, agnostics and other people who do not affiliate with any religion – though increasing in countries such as the United States and France – will make up a declining share of the world’s total population."

Old 07-12-2016, 08:09 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
We certainly did allow our children to choose their own belief systems. We simply did not push our beliefs on them. They are free to choose to this day.

They are very wise children, and we support them in everything they do.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:39 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Look at this another way. Islam and Atheism are basically popular with teenagers.
Atheist : median age 34.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Brainwashed kids are those that are told the fairy tales that your bible has is fact. Brainwashing is teaching that the bible is actual history. Brainwashing is sending your kids to Sunday school and bible camps.

Let them chose their own belief system? You BET!

When my daughter was 15, she wondered why we didn't go to church like some of her friends. I asked her if she wanted to try it out with them, and I would drive her to that church. After one session, she had no desire to go back, asking why, and those where her words, "Do people really believe that stuff. It sounds like fairy tales". Her actual words.

So, my children had, and do, have the right to chose. At 15, I felt she was mature enough to make whatever decision she wanted.

My son took part in Young Life for awhile, until they went on a ski trip, and he told me how he was shamed by the youth leader for not accepting christ and how he would suffer in hell. He wasn't allowed to leave the room while that shaming was going on. I was so ticked off as to how he was degraded, I got Young Life out of the school.

That is another long story. The assistant principal was an evangelical nut case, and but I knew two of the school board members (one who WAS Christian) well, and they ordered the superintendent to rid the school system of these religious groups. Don't EVER come between papa bear and his kids.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Atheist : median age 34.
Don't confuse the religious zealots with facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality