Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 03:59 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,053,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
why believe anything? Why not know?

Why believe that it will rain today when you can know that it might rain today?

Something is known Beyond a reasonable doubt if the laws of cause and effect make it impossible for it not to be true

I KNOW with certainty that a 2 headed coin will come up heads if flipped.

If the coin has a heads and a tails then I dont know what it will come up as but I KNOW the probability is 50/50.

If I have 3 coins in my pocket, one with 2 heads, another with 2 tails, and another with one head and one tail and I pull one out at random and, without looking at it, flip it then I dont know the true probability for that particular coin (which could be 0 or 50 or 100 percent) but I still KNOW the a priori bayesian probability for that particular coin is 50/50.

If I continue flipping that particular coin and observing the results then the Bayesian probability for that particular coin will gradually change and approach the true probability for that particular coin.

Put simply if I keep getting heads then I will start expecting to see heads. But even after a thousand heads there is still a very small chance that I just got lucky 1000 times.
There are certain things, a huge majority of our day to day life stuff, where we do, and we should know before we take a decision. I agree to that part; however, there is stuff in our daily life, that you and I do, without "knowing" the outcome.

If you follow your own logic, then you should not get on a plane because no matter how many thousands of historical flight data you study, you cannot know for sure if the plane will safely reach the destination.

There is always a chance of crash, YET you put your faith in it. And you DO get on the plane using a FAITH that is based on your research, observation, intelligence and logic.

Those who look for God, perhaps take the same path. They look for signs of God and establish a faith, based upon their own research by using their own intelligence and logic and by exercising their right of making their own free choice.
why dont you read what I wrote before responding?
I KNOW the probability of a plane crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 12:18 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
why dont you read what I wrote before responding?
I KNOW the probability of a plane crash.
But you DON'T KNOW whether it will land safe at the destination or not.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:57 PM

2,212 posts, read 545,793 times
Default Believing For The Impossible

Acts 3:6,7 - "But Peter said, Silver and gold I do not have; but what I do have, that I give to you: in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk! Then he took hold of the man's right hand with a firm grip and raised him up. And at once his feet and ankle bones became strong and steady."

Part of our problem is this: we are accustomed only to doing things for God that are not impossible. If God doesn't show up and help us, we can still succeed. There must be an aspect of the Christian Life that is impossible without divine intervention that keeps us on the edge and puts us in contact with our true calling.

Matthew 17:21 - "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you."

The Kingdom of God is not a religion; it is an ever-expanding, all-consuming relationship with Jesus Christ. It is as different from religion as a brilliant angel is from a shadowy ghost.
The only temple God dwells within on earth is the temple of our human bodies. John, in the book of Revelation, is very plain. He says of the Holy City -- "I saw no temple therein."

Revelation 21:2,22 - "And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it."

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-20-2016 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Quit posting in red.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:02 PM

20,010 posts, read 13,491,416 times
These Finchisms all follow a consistent pattern.

1) Post a deliberately cryptic or obtuse question on a new thread.
2) Wait a beat
3) Post a little mini-sermon "answering" the question.
4) Ignore all discussion, debate or interaction.

Pretty much drive-by proselytization spam for a particular personalized flavor of fundamentalist Christianity. Mods: doesn't this violate the TOS?

Old 07-20-2016, 02:06 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
These Finchisms all follow a consistent pattern.

1) Post a deliberately cryptic or obtuse question on a new thread.
2) Wait a beat
3) Post a little mini-sermon "answering" the question.
4) Ignore all discussion, debate or interaction.

Pretty much drive-by proselytization spam for a particular personalized flavor of fundamentalist Christianity. Mods: doesn't this violate the TOS?
Like another guy on here with 3 names. Or another crazy old codger that loves to post links to a blog.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:06 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Finch View Post
Is it right for us to believe God only for things that are not impossible?
god only knows, but who really knows, let me go ask my wife.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:09 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Finch View Post
Is it right for us to believe God only for
things that are not impossible?
Couple of things:

--"Is it right"?...too dualistic for me to consider (Right /wrong? You understand.)

--'only for things that are not impossible?"....so you are saying, 'some things are impossible'?
Hmmm...

So, I can't respond to this one.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:22 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Like another guy on here with 3 names. Or another crazy old codger that loves to post links to a blog.

Does the guy with three names the same ever answer questions? I only go to his threads by error and then leave as quickly as possible.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:25 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Albert ---There must be an aspect of the Christian Life that
is impossible without divine intervention that
keeps us on the edge and puts us in contact with our true calling.
Do you mean having healing done?
Do you mean the divine intervention that transforms a dying woman in a coma
being kept alive with pumps to sit up, smile the next morning?
Do you mean the divine intervention that causes someone to give $100,000 to a friend to pay off her mortgage?
Do you mean 50 so-called 'impossible things' stranger than those above?

Been there, done that....that aspect of Kingdom life is quite prevalent...it's part of the
natural advancement of souls...I'm at a certain stage, as each of us are...I
would think it was a kick if more joined me...but, whenever ...I'm being pulled also
to be where some are that are experiencing to way more....seems this growth just never has an end!

Oops, did I go on some tangent? Sorry.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:35 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,053,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
But you DON'T KNOW whether it will land safe at the destination or not.
Do you have a point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality