Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Trump destroyed Christian conservatism?
Yes 19 30.65%
Maybe 10 16.13%
No 33 53.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 04:39 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,673,373 times

Advertisements

I'd say he's dancing on it's ashes right now unfortunately. The damage will last a long, long time.

He’s destroyed whatever moral standing leading Christian conservatives had — starting with Mike Pence. Their selective piety is not teachable. Take solace in one of the small acts of courage breaking out in recent days: a group of students at Liberty University telling their Trump-supporting president, Jerry Falwell Jr., to practice what the school preaches.

Trump is “actively promoting the very things that we Christians ought to oppose,” the students wrote. These young people, at least, are smart enough to see what Trump is doing to their world.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/14...ouse.html?_r=1

Old 10-15-2016, 04:48 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that he's dancing on the ashes of the GOP, much less evangelicals, in the sense that either entity is dead and abandoned, its adherents completely finished with it. For one thing, there's no place for the members of either to go that they find palatable. The very fact that the GOP or the evangelicals are supporting Trump is because they find Clinton / liberalism to be so terribly unpalatable and apocalyptic and dystopian. I give both credit that they would much prefer a champion with some decorum at least.

That said, I think the spectacle of Jerry Falwell Jr invoking "let him who is without sin cast the first stone" and saying in effect he doesn't care about Trump's behavior so long as he checks off the right political positions, has got to sicken or at least sober up some evangelicals.

The problem of course is that Falwell is just an attorney and university President, not a pastor like his father and the rest of the fundamentalist base is all fragmented into different little silos. Each pastor can plausibly say, "Falwell doesn't represent me or my views" -- even as these students are doing. Each fundamentalist thinks they represent True Christianity and have the Correct Understanding of dogma.

So I think they will survive this but it's just more death by a thousand cuts, more incrementally out of step with both reality and the upcoming generation, etc. And getting harder and harder to claim a higher morality when it's for sale like this to anyone who will nominate the desired SCOTUS justice and say the right words about abortion and marriage equality and so forth.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:00 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
I'd say he's dancing on it's ashes right now unfortunately. The damage will last a long, long time.

He’s destroyed whatever moral standing leading Christian conservatives had — starting with Mike Pence. Their selective piety is not teachable. Take solace in one of the small acts of courage breaking out in recent days: a group of students at Liberty University telling their Trump-supporting president, Jerry Falwell Jr., to practice what the school preaches.

Trump is “actively promoting the very things that we Christians ought to oppose,” the students wrote. These young people, at least, are smart enough to see what Trump is doing to their world.

Finally, the anti-Christ has done a thorough job destroying an evangelical religion based on men's lies and bigotry--It ha been exposed for what it really represents and what it teaches..

Old 10-15-2016, 05:57 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
You seem to have missed a choice on your poll: #4 We can only hope so.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:09 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
That is hilarious. Christian conservatism is alive and well and I'm going to be more than happy to put Pence and Trump in office in November. As a matter of fact, I'll be voting early in two weeks.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yay. I had a rep for you.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:12 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
LOL! Awesome!

Old 10-15-2016, 07:23 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
No. It's too strong a political force. See the Tea Party and candidates like Ted Cruz.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:50 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post

The illusion of Christian morality and Christian family values is SHATTERED!

Pat Robertson defends Trump: Bragging about groping women is 'macho'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DTRkcEg8fc

Old 10-15-2016, 08:53 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,231,047 times
Pat Robertson needs to just keel over already, what a jackass. I know many people in Hampton Roads will be celebrating the day he goes the way of the dinosaur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality