Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:56 PM

4,065 posts, read 2,152,780 times

Advertisements

This article blew me away:

The 5 Stages of a Spiritual Awakening | Soul Science

I think I'm mostly on Stage 4. Don't care if I reach 5 or not; 4 is plenty good for me! Stage 3 isn't easy for sure.

Do religious people go through these stages? Or just us spiritual but not religious"? What stage are you on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 02:42 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,616,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
This article blew me away:

The 5 Stages of a Spiritual Awakening | Soul Science

I think I'm mostly on Stage 4. Don't care if I reach 5 or not; 4 is plenty good for me! Stage 3 isn't easy for sure.

Do religious people go through these stages? Or just us spiritual but not religious"? What stage are you on?
-327 with a four barrel carb.

God speed John Glen.

I am working on even caring what happens to us. If our brains are a volume of space that "thinks" then the question becomes how big a volume is it?

"how small is it" #5, gravity waves, and Brian's Greens "what is space" points to ... yeah, whatever, at least the volume of planet earth.

What it means on a personal level is irrelevant to me, I only do "how it works", Not what I need it to mean to function as a smart ape.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:24 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,225,130 times
For me it was just God saving me.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:31 PM

20,089 posts, read 13,546,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Do religious people go through these stages? Or just us spiritual but not religious"?
Two conceptualizations of "phases of spiritual development" that are similar were proposed by M. Scott Peck and by Ken Wilbur. Peck's phases are:

Stage 1: Chaotic, Antisocial

Stage 2: Formal, Institutional, Fundamental

Stage 3: Skeptic, Individual, Questioner

Stage 4: Mystical, Communal

See the link for details, but basically, he saw a general progression from areligion to fundamentalism followed by an abreaction to skepticism / agnosticism / atheism, followed by a sort of synthesis returning to more liberal theism, in the sense of loosely-held, non-doctrinaire beliefs emphasizing community and unity.

Personally I think Stage 4 does not require one to return to belief in deities, that seems extraneous to me, though of course it doesn't exclude theism. It simply makes space for intersubjective communal development, for a less clinical, more other-centeredness, more empathy and compassion, an emphasis on listening rather than talking, that sort of thing.

Such concepts have value if you don't take them over-literally. Even Peck admitted that people can move backwards, spend very little time in a stage, or get stuck in a stage, and that some people's journey doesn't seem to fit his concept at all. Personally I have found his stages to be a fair, if rough and imperfect, description of a sort of "spiritual developmental story arc" that seems to fit a lot of people, especially if you overlay it with an understanding of compartmentalization that would allow a person to be in different stages in different aspects / contexts of their lives.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:50 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,616,892 times
the stages seem like periods and groups to me.

err, did I jut overlay the Periodic table again?

well, we are in its image.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:38 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,270,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
For me it was just God saving me.
It wasn't predestined? Most of us (humans) made a conscious decision to develop a relationship based on LOVE and never really expected anything in return..

But since it was mentioned, what were you saved from? Drowning? Quicksand? Boredom and self-loathing in Vegas?

Old 12-08-2016, 08:39 PM

997 posts, read 940,050 times
I wouldn't describe it exactly as that article states. We are all unique and we have our own ways of doing things but there are similarities...

I think it was predestined. I was prepared since babyhood for what was to be. There was a lot of foreshadowing. It is all about the work, but work is the only thing worth doing.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:23 PM

19,103 posts, read 27,696,540 times
Good article.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:18 AM

9,696 posts, read 10,045,032 times
These 5 steps sound like New Age beliefs which have limitations ............., where with Christianity people can discover the unseen Spirit , from two days to six months or more depending on what Jesus gives you by the faith that you extend ,............ but the Christian experience goes beyond even this as God gives His people new senses to see and hear and even touch into the Spirit , and what is there is the enemies of life , so you need God to over come the enemies of life which are the demonic spirits that are the enemies , .........................Like that pain you had for years on your body , now through spiritual awakening you can see through the spirit the demon spirit who is corrupting your body with this pain , where God through Jesus can remove this demon by His power

Old 12-10-2016, 01:26 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,009,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
These 5 steps sound like New Age beliefs which have limitations ............., where with Christianity people can discover the unseen Spirit , from two days to six months or more depending on what Jesus gives you by the faith that you extend ,............ but the Christian experience goes beyond even this as God gives His people new senses to see and hear and even touch into the Spirit , and what is there is the enemies of life , so you need God to over come the enemies of life which are the demonic spirits that are the enemies , .........................Like that pain you had for years on your body , now through spiritual awakening you can see through the spirit the demon spirit who is corrupting your body with this pain , where God through Jesus can remove this demon by His power
These "New Age" beliefs, as you call them, pre-date Christianity by a few thousand years, if you want to address "new age" beliefs we might want to begin with Christianity and then Islam, both of these are the newest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality