Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,280,025 times

Advertisements

Well, this is kind of old news (Oct. 2006) but I just came across it the other day.. and what did I think of but City-Data (lol).

Humanity may split into two sub-species in 100,000 years' time as predicted by HG Wells, an expert has said.
Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge....

BBC NEWS | UK | Human species 'may split in two'

(Now I'm not tall, but I wouldn't call myself short, either... just so you know! )

BTW, I think the tall, attractive ones in this study would be the dimwits, because they would be the ones choosing their mate based on looks! Of course, looks is something, but not everything...

What do you think?

Disclaimer: Just for light-hearted discussion, altho if you have an in-depth comment, feel free to leave it. In no way are the views of the poster of the thread reflected in the article referenced. Posting this article does in no way mean that the poster of the thread has changed his views on evolution. () No one is being called a dimwit, a substandard species, or belonging to a lower class. Let untall intelligence reign!

Last edited by cg81; 02-28-2008 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 02:19 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,547,086 times
LOL, Cg years ago in another time, and a different world where I was young and only 5 feet and one inch I liked all the boys who were less than 5 ft six, because they were the cutest and smartest and I always had a date in the winter because they didn'ty have to worry about basketball practice

Old 02-28-2008, 03:55 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,675,931 times
Now that's funny, I'm already 6 foot and think outside the box anyway and have been considered a radical thinker with an IQ of 160 and I'm going to live to be a 150 years old as it is, I'm glad they broke the mold when I was made, couldn't stand to many of me around........at least that's what wife says...

Old 02-28-2008, 04:09 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,645,339 times
It's an interesting idea and some parts of it appear to be true. The problem with having a complete split in humanity is the fact that there are so many people whose physical appearance and intellect are somewhere in the middle which would make me wonder why people would end up either smart and beautiful or stupid and ugly but with nothing in between. I do think that people are generally becoming more attractive. I can recall looking at the photos of graduating classes from high schools from the early 1900's up until the present day. There were large numbers of individuals from those really old photos who were downright ugly and I'm not talking about changes in hair styles, clothing or that sort of thing, I'm talking about facial features and people who resembled livestock. No one believes me when I've said this before but when I was in high school I started playing in bands and played at dances for high schools all over the place and many of those schools had the photos of every graduating class they'd ever had and I started making a habit of looking for those photos and comparing the old ones to the new ones. I'm completely serious about this, people are much more attractive now than they were even less than a century ago from my very unscientific observations.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:13 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,299,300 times
So I guess my question, based on the article, is:

For June, who stands at 5' 4" what's the deal?

or ?

'Cause I'm going for

Old 02-28-2008, 04:18 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,280,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
There were large numbers of individuals from those really old photos who were downright ugly and I'm not talking about changes in hair styles, clothing or that sort of thing, I'm talking about facial features and people who resembled livestock.
LOL!

I agree with you on it being hard to picture a complete split..

Old 02-28-2008, 04:41 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,645,339 times
June wrote:
Quote:
For June, who stands at 5' 4" what's the deal?
The height issue seems to be more of a problem for men when it comes to sexual selection. A study from Eastern Europe several years ago stated that men were becoming taller as a result of sexual selection and they made some very simple observations. Taller men on average have more children than shorter men and of course they pass along their genetics to their children which gradually raises the height averages. Holland is now the nation that has the tallest average height although I can't recall that exact height at the moment. The point is that women are more likely to choose a taller mate and the end result is that humanity is gradually getting taller. Actually 5'4" is about average for a woman. I know I'm shorter than average, sometimes I feel like Yoda from Star Wars.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:58 PM

245 posts, read 625,821 times
diet early in life has alot to do with hieght, the people of eurupe a 1000 years ago where as tall as us, it wasn't untill the climate shifted in the 1400's that they started to get shorter. and humanity evolution is in his own direct hands now. It will not be long before, perhaps only a few generations, untill genetic manipulation at some point during develoment is comman place. It will probaly start with parents wanted there kids to be superman, and then the people 'keeping up with the jonses" and a generation geneticaly manipulated will have less and less moral or philisophical concerns in altering there own kids. Then I could see the gov. getting involved, first going after the 'criminal element' and then there goes our artistic nature, it will just escalate from there untill we are nothing but sexless slaves to a machine, our only driving force being curiousity

Old 02-28-2008, 06:31 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,299,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

I know I'm shorter than average, sometimes I feel like Yoda from Star Wars.
My dear, sweet man, June must render (once again!) her gentle reminder:

"New Rules!"

--Oh, and for what it's worth, you and I both know that Yoda was adorable!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:00 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,798,021 times
To me it's laugh-out-loud funny .. but also seriously sad.

BTW, I'm over 6' but not the best looking... so am I an abnormality too

Genetic diversity does not evolution make
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality