Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:45 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,284,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakovskii View Post
Thanks for your reply, rosends.

In the Jewish Encyclopedia's online entries for Yod and Waw, it says these letters mean arm and nail, respectively. (see eg. YOD - JewishEncyclopedia.com).
The Hebrew letters developed from the pictographs and their names sometimes refer to that -- the name for the letter yod means hand or arm (there is no consistent distinction in Hebrew, in the same way that there is no difference between leg and foot)

Quote:
I haven't noticed many cases where they use these kinds of shapes to draw deeper meanings, but I found a few, like their treatment of the words passover and pharoah using the letter that means mouth.
The NAME of the letter means mouth. That isn't about the shape, at all. The discussions of shape in books like The Book of Letters: A Mystical Hebrew Alphabet by Lawrence Kushner, Paperback | Barnes & Noble® are esoteric and mystical at best and rarely used. You won't find any current tradition that employs them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 10:15 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,063,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
YHWH = Iah-Havad = head moon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iah
Why is head moon any more unlikely than I am that I am?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ucifixion.html

Old 01-13-2017, 12:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,878,938 times
Quote:
Why is head moon any more unlikely than I am that I am?
If you could actually read Hebrew and thus knew it's roots and conjugations you wouldn't be asking such a ****** question.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:45 PM

YHWH existed long before the Hebrews

Old 01-13-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
YHWH = Iah-Havad = head moon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iah
YHWH = Iah-Havad = ju-vit-er = deos-pater

Old 01-13-2017, 03:00 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,878,938 times
Quote:
yhwh existed long before the hebrews
lol

Old 01-15-2017, 01:41 AM

145 posts, read 99,488 times
Quote:
lol
Well he is right

Old 01-15-2017, 09:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,095,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The reason I moved this here is because a Jew is not permitted to write of say the name of G-D, any attempt for a Jew to answer the OP is offensive to some Jews.
I guess no Jews or non-Jewish powerful groups are yet offended that it was moved.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,095,962 times
Quote:
You think people were all-knowing geniuses back then just like us and couldn't be influenced by the name of an Egyptian moon-god? It's all interconnected, I think.

Of course, the writer of the story of YHWH giving it's name probably was not at that time a worshiper of Iah. But all gods started as "god of this people, most powerful, original" in some area, and each Empire would try to assimilate them into the mythos in order to assimilate the cultures they conquered or were trying to join together.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:12 PM

32,533 posts, read 22,164,192 times
Quote:
Here is a problem I have with this whole exercise. You are saying that the meaning is work (I guess because of yod=arm) and breath (for heh). But I have seen several other Christian writers imagine several very different meanings instead.
A common one is hand, behold, nail, behold, and they see this as referring to the crucifixion or to Thomas seeing Jesus' hand wounds in John 20.
And the big differences in peoples' answers to this is the kind of thing making me question whether there is any credibility in this method at all.

One problem with what you proposed is that you didn't use the concept of the letter Waw in YahWeh anywhere. Waw is nail/hook, and I heard it could also refer to a kind of connector.

One of the problems is that I don't want to get sucked into pseudoscience or guessing things that aren't there. Do you understand what I mean?

Meaning: Hand, Work, Throw, Worship [yud]

Meaning: Look, Reveal, Breath [hey]

Meaning: Add, Secure, Hook [waw]

Meaning: Look, Reveal, Breath [hey]

http://ancient-hebrew.org/m/learn_ancient.html

Those are the meanings of the ancient letters...Figure it out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality