Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 12:54 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,768,879 times

Advertisements

There are so many reasons why I am not a Christian. The God of the Bible is NOT in my opinion a good parental figure. Why in the world is this character the Devil allowed to even roam about influencing all people, including the very young? Why were the "very innocent" Adam and Eve exposed to this so called "Tree of Knowledge" and "cunning serpent". Is there anything in that story that resembles what any good parent would allow to EXIST in their child's environment with limited knowledge. The stories in Genesis alone are enough to keep me from believing most of the whole Christian story as being based in reality of any form of common sense. Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 01:13 PM

18,563 posts, read 9,245,238 times
No responsible parent would allow their children to be alone with a dangerous person, nor would they torture their children for a small act of disobedience.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:20 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,693,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
There are so many reasons why I am not a Christian. The God of the Bible is NOT in my opinion a good parental figure. Why in the world is this character the Devil allowed to even roam about influencing all people, including the very young? Why were the "very innocent" Adam and Eve exposed to this so called "Tree of Knowledge" and "cunning serpent". Is there anything in that story that resembles what any good parent would allow to EXIST in their child's environment with limited knowledge. The stories in Genesis alone are enough to keep me from believing most of the whole Christian story as being based in reality of any form of common sense. Discuss.

The "Christian Story" is based in reality...but presents it metaphorically and allegorically.
For Example: You mention "The Devil". There is "good" (Jehovah) and "bad" (Devil). The "good parenting" aspect of the allegorical story...is that if you chose "bad" (Devil) over "good" (Jehovah) you will get "burned" (Hell).
Very simple lesson...explained metaphorically.
Adam & Eve are presented as adults, fully capable of making their own choices, even though tempted. They chose "bad"...and got jammed up for it. Another simple lesson.

The mistake is made when some try to assess it from a literal standpoint.
Most know better...but their bias and hatred towards Religion (for whatever reason) constrains them to go against what they know and put up strawman arguments against literal critiques...just as a way to insult, mock, and bash it.
They really don't need to assess the Bible...but to assess why they are so hungup on headtrips about it.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:32 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,768,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
The "Christian Story" is based in reality...but presents it metaphorically and allegorically.
For Example: You mention "The Devil". There is "good" (Jehovah) and "bad" (Devil). The "good parenting" aspect of the allegorical story...is that if you chose "bad" (Devil) over "good" (Jehovah) you will get "burned" (Hell).
Very simple lesson...explained metaphorically.
Adam & Eve are presented as adults, fully capable of making their own choices, even though tempted. They chose "bad"...and got jammed up for it. Another simple lesson.

The mistake is made when some try to assess it from a literal standpoint.
Most know better...but their bias and hatred towards Religion (for whatever reason) constrains them to go against what they know and put up strawman arguments against literal critiques...just as a way to insult, mock, and bash it.
They really don't need to assess the Bible...but to assess why they are so hungup on headtrips about it.
I think some atheist on here is going to dismantle these points. Wait and see.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,275,547 times
Quote:
Good thing your opinion is just your opinion. You're a fallible human being and you are not the Creator of the universe.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:22 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,693,828 times
Quote:
I think some atheist on here is going to dismantle these points. Wait and see.
No...they are the ones that typically have the hangups.
I've never been Religious...was Atheist for 40 years...now NonReligious Theist (Pantheism).
I was never so clueless that I wasn't fully hip to the metaphorical and allegorical quality of Religious Texts...or so biased that I argued against them from a literal standpoint.
That's just strawmen for Anti Theists that are either actually or willfully ignorant.

How do you propose anyone "dismantles" that "point"?

Old 01-06-2017, 02:44 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,672,847 times
Quote:
lmao. hard to be there when ya don't exist.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:51 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,879,231 times
Quote:
Given what you've posted, that's probably a good choice for you.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:58 PM

9,706 posts, read 10,089,310 times
There is evil demon spirit and fallen angels in the earth because God could of destroyed them all at the time of Adam and Eve , and even after the cross of Christ , but God left these on the earth as a menace to every one because God gave the whole earth to man and can even bless man beyond their imagination if they engage to turn to God through Jesus , and these evil spirits are there a the only challenge to the grace of God , ............So if people who ignore God , you are not even in the program with God , as people who are blessed beyond measure is why the evil spirits are in the earth as a challenge for God`s blessing , where God can rip these spirits out of man way when man is obedient to God`s way ...... See there is no other challenge for the blessing of God then the devil and demons spirits ......

Old 01-06-2017, 04:22 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,308,583 times
Quote:
The bible:

It's pretty nonsensical on so many levels I don't even know where to begin!

For example the creation of the heaven, earth and humans would put a stop to wanting to read any further.

The christian god as presented in the Bible has got to be one of the most unpleasant characters in ALL FICTION writings…this fictitious god is jealous and proud of it. Petty, vindictive unjust, unforgiving, racist and an ethnic cleanser urging his people on to acts of genocide.

Or the story in the book of Judges about the traveling priest who spent the night at an old man’s house… and when a mob shows up to demand this host hand over his male guest “so that we may know him” and this is what the old man said next and I quote “ Here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them what seemeth good unto you; but unto this man do not so vile a thing” So this story is about go ahead and enjoy yourself by raping and humiliating my daughter but show proper respect to my guest who is after all a male.

The punishing for not believing. The curse on all humanity for eating fruit.

To me the bile is a very disgusting and inadequate book on every possible level: scientifically, historically, medically, aesthetically, ethically, spiritually, contemplatively.

This is not the best book we have on any topic, and it should be if they were written by the creator of the Universe.

Why waste time trying to sort out the utter rubbish to find the spiritual lessons when there are plenty of other very beautifully written spiritual books out there that have no rubbish to sort through?

Why would I want to fill my subconscious with the sickening dark vibrations of these words that are written in the bible?

No thanks...I have better sources for spiritual inspiration and development than reading the utter sickness contained in the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality