Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:13 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

Gay marriage would be legal.

Birth control would be made more widely available.

AND Fridays would be clothing optional day.

What do you think would be different if Atheists ruled the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 06:35 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
No more bad Hawaiian shirts and Bermuda shorts on chunky old pasty guys.

But honestly, it's hard to say for a fact what would be different. Sure, there would be less conflict over religion, but it would still be there, simmering under the surface. I don't think it will ever go away completely.

We'd be more liberal in terms of the OP's statements. We might not be so willing to hand out government freebies though, since the atheists I know are all pretty much "stand on your own feet and work for what you get" kinds of people.

Don't know, but it's an interesting discussion topic.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:46 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

I'm not an atheist, but if atheists would rule the world, we would see an end to religious wars; wars that have been fought for centuries. I'm a Christian and have no problem with gay marriage, birth control, and Fridays being clothing optional day as long as it's in the privacy of your own home (or of course, at a nudist beach, camp, etc.). As I get older and mature, I am finding out that the biggest wars, disagreements, and problems in our society have to do with religious intolerance, ethnic intolerance, etc. I don't see atheists as being a problem. I've never ever been accousted by an atheist, but have been accousted, almost physically, by those that have a need to moralize regarding their religious beliefs, make you feel inferior in your beliefs, while trying earnestly to prove to you that their religion is the "correct" one, etc.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I think it would be pretty identical to the world if conservative Christians or Muslims ruled the world--In effect, the ruling class would be doing their utmost to ram their belief system down everybody else's throats.

After all, it's the serious-minded people who cause all the misery in the world.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
I really don't think it's in our best interest to have any one group ruling the world. And, that's not because I have anything against atheists. I actually don't care what someone else believes, so long as they don't try to push it on me, and atheists have every right to expect the same courtesy. As a matter of fact, I actually "get it" why atheists believe as they do, that there is no God. That may sound peculiar, coming from one who does believe in a Creator, but I see the many horrible things in this world, (some of which are brought on by religion), and it actually makes sense to me that some people don't believe in anything spiritual. I will admit, I have questioned my own belief, more than once. But, I always come back to that belief in a Creator, because ultimately, for me, it still makes sense.

Most of the atheists on this forum are good folks, however, I have seen some in this world who are just as nasty, pushy, judgemental, etc., as any faith-based group, (Christian or otherwise), so to "put them in charge", is not any more to our good, than any other group. Anytime that one group gets exclusive control, the greed and corruption becomes rampant, and I don't believe that faith-based people have a corner on that. After all, look at countries where atheism is, or has been, the rule, (Russia comes to mind, with it's many years of Communism). I see no difference, instead what I do see is the lust for power and riches, which seems to be inherent in people, as a whole, regardless of whether or not they believe in any god. I believe there must be checks and balances, else someone is going to be at someone else's mercy, regardless of which side. It just seems to be the "nature of the beast".

Last edited by CelticLady1; 03-03-2008 at 07:15 AM..

Old 03-03-2008, 07:05 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Extremist would still exist.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:05 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I think it would be pretty identical to the world if conservative Christians or Muslims ruled the world--In effect, the ruling class would be doing their utmost to ram their belief system down everybody else's throats.

After all, it's the serious-minded people who cause all the misery in the world.
How many times do we have to impress upon people that atheism is not a belief system?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:07 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
How many times do we have to impress upon people that atheism is not a belief system?
Some people NEED to believe certain things to justify their own behavior.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:10 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

It would be the same world as we live in now. Birth control is an interesting topic but it is exactly what it means to control births. So do you think atheist are for population control?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:12 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
The correlation between religion (faith) and truth is that faith ( any belief system) cannot be tested. Only what is true and what is not true can be tested.
Beauty for instance cannot be tested; what Mr. A finds beautiful, Mr. X can find ugly.
But fashion extremist only find their taste beautiful and what others find beautiful they find irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality