Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:37 AM

392 posts, read 249,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timray View Post
of some kind
"Some kind" doesn't necessarily qualify as a source or author.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 12:59 PM

50,148 posts, read 20,955,943 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. In fact I am as an agnostic atheist in principle not opposed to a cosmic mind. I just don't the evidence presented for it very persuasive.

If there was such a cosmic mind, it wouldn't bother me, even if it was Communicating with us, because such communication is only what we are used to, anyway.

As far as religions go, since a cosmic Mind -sortagod is a god of all religions or none, I as an atheist would have no problem with it. I would simply become an irreligious theist. And i would carry of arguing against organized religion and its bad influence just as I do now.

P.s. I'm a bit puzzled as to why you aim this mainly at Christians, since they believe in a god already. Surely the question is more usefully put to atheists?

P.P. s Bythw -atheists are agnostics. So are Christians - but they think they Know.

Christians mainly live by Faith. I'd like to read their opinions on how much or in what ways their Faith would be affected if they suddenly discovered that they (hypothetically speaking), have "2 Birds in their hands"☺, one bird being Faith and the other Cosmic Mind Sorta God (to use your words) Evidence.

Would Faith drop in favour of "evidence"? Would it increase? Or would they just balance it out?

I Await their Opinions on the matter....

Not to quibble, but I'm curious as to what you really mean by " Cosmic Mind Sorta god"....
Are gods (assuming we have some out there), Sorta gods or "Complete" gods? A sorta god sort of "softens" the "status" (so to speak) of whatever god is being referred to.☺
Ok! That makes sense.

Question for Christians (and other theists?) how would it impact your faith if it turned out a Cosmic Mind was substantiated.

I would imagine they'd welcome it, provided it didn't say anything they didn't agree with and, like a non -fundy atheist, kept quiet.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:06 PM

50,148 posts, read 20,955,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overcastg4 View Post
"Some kind" doesn't necessarily qualify as a source or author.
That's why it wouldn't rock the Christian boat. So long as it doesn't communicate anything that conflicts with what they want to believe, there will be no problem. If that isn't the case ..."Jesus was executed for sedition by the way, and he wasn't able to do any miracles. And Yes, I was there. he didn't resurrect, either." Then there could be problems..can they accept what God says and have to give up the tenets of their faith (I think that's the point our OP was aiming at by 'Live by Faith'(1). Or would they start having some Nasty Thots?

I would not like to be in their shoes.

(1) or there's maybe the idea that you only get saved by Faith. So, if you have evidence that God is real, you don't need faith and the value of belief is lost, so no salvation. But then, If I were a Christian, I'd simply dismiss that as, if that was the case, God would ensure that we could NEVER substantiate his existence, so the problem doesn't arise.'

Old 02-14-2017, 01:23 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,599,600 times
Quote:
1). If Scientists ever discover that Consciousness is part of what would be taken to be
(at least) a 'god' of some kind, would you as an Atheist, Atheist-Agnostic or Christian
accept the "evidence"?

If Yes why?

If No why not?

2). This is mainly for the Christians (Atheists, Atheist-Agnostics etc may chip
in with their Opinions or Observations)

If you as a Christian reached a point of acceptance of such "evidence", how
would your Faith be affected?

Sincere answers and discussion and elaboration as far as the 2 "Talking Points"
presented above will be appreciated.

The above is presented Hypothetically.

Inspiration to start this particular thread was drawn from reading Mysticphd's Posts

Depends on the evidence presented. I can't answer a question without knowing what the entire choices are, which demands the proof being presented for that choice. Ones man "Proof" can be another's joke. The "Mindset" of the person being presented with such "proof" has the most impact in that person determination of its validity. Even "Proof" can have other implications that may be caused by some other factor we still don't understand, having no relationship to the original question.

In my case, as an Agnostic, the only valid proof of a Supreme Beings existence would be an appearance, and a Demonstration of such. Proof of a Universal Consciousness proves nothing, other than its another thing we do not understand, and is not attributed to anything outside ones own mind.

Old 02-14-2017, 04:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,688,208 times
Quote:
1). If Scientists ever discover that Consciousness is part of what would be taken to be
(at least) a 'god' of some kind, would you as an Atheist, Atheist-Agnostic or Christian
accept the "evidence"?

If Yes why?

If No why not?

Inspiration to start this particular thread was drawn from reading Mysticphd's Posts
yes, by definition I am atheists. Yes, the data suggest, right now, that we are part of a living system. In fact, its more valid to claim we are part of a living system then to claim we are not.

Take a measurement if you not sure.

I am an atheists and I understand that not all theist have it dead wrong. But remember, I had regular theist parents and was not abused in any way by religion nor did i ask for something that I didn't get. So i am not mad, don't fear, and don't misunderstand that religion is not a thing.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:03 AM

1,302 posts, read 687,922 times
Quote:
accept the "evidence"?

If Yes why?

If No why not?

You would have to agree in the notion of what God is, As a Christian Catholic, true Christians by the way, Councience is not a Creator, and it has not Lordship. Counciousnes is part of Creation, and it has the "branding" of the Creator. But it is not a replacement of the Original Being who Created everything.

Quote:

As I said, Counciousness is not Creator, but Creation. confusing one thing with the other will never help in a serious Theological Dialogue.

Quote:

Never Heard of it.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:46 PM

19,254 posts, read 27,919,063 times
Entire thread only proves how box minded the esteemed posters are.
Respectfully of course.
WDF IT ALWAYS HAS TO BE GOD? Why it simply can not be Consciousness? It's "god" or aliens. Is that how far your minds go? Science proves cosmic Consciousness and it is immediately labeled as god?
Seriously, people....

Old 02-16-2017, 06:47 PM

19,254 posts, read 27,919,063 times
Btw, REAL kicker is - if science does prove cosmic Consciousness - it simply means there is no death. How 'bout that?

Old 02-16-2017, 07:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,349,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Btw, REAL kicker is - if science does prove cosmic Consciousness - it simply means there is no death. How 'bout that?
If true, no complaints here.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,345,291 times
Quote:
accept the "evidence"?

If Yes why?

If No why not?
Such a discovery would happen well after I'm dead. So put me (a Christian) down as a "no" since I'll be in no shape to be accepting (or rejecting) scientific evidence.

(I've no plans to have my head frozen and be put in a jar next to Ted Williams' cabeza in Scottsdale, AZ.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality