Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:24 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,279,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
There is a reason people like yourself quote news paper articles and not the original study.

LOL this is one of my most commonly encountered behaviors on this forum as well as in the Science forum. No one links to the original study...only the online "science" news link. Then they get all wound up and play straw-man games when I point out the false interpretations.

I make it easy for them and post the original study and that usually passifies them for a short while, until the are wow'ed by the next online "science" news link. LOL

Last edited by Matadora; 02-20-2017 at 06:35 PM..

Old 02-20-2017, 05:42 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,279,894 times
No, this study is not evidence for "life after death"

Quote:
This study does not provide solid support for Parnia’s ideas about consciousness existing for hours. In these cases of reported awareness, it was minutes or seconds. This is intriguing but not as incredible as headlines suggest.

No where in the article does it mention “life after death”. At most, it is suggestive that something is going on in the brain in this state we do not understand. It’s even a stretch to say it is suggestive of the brain being separate from consciousness.
Notice how this writer actually references Parnia S, et al. AWARE—AWAreness during REsuscitation—A prospective study. Resuscitation (2014)

Drum-roll...here is the original study.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:01 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,809,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
In other words do you disagree with Parnias findings? if not then this issue that you are making out of it is not an issue at all.
I think Nozz was pretty clear;

The study was ok; the newspaper report on it wasn't.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:17 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,406,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post

LOL this is one of my most commonly encountered behaviors on this forum as well as in the Science forum. No one links to the original study...only the online "science" news link. Then they get all wound up and play straw-man games when I point out the false interpretations.

I make it easy for them and post the original study and that usually passifies them for a short while, until the are wow'ed by the next online "science" news link. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
No, this study is not evidence for "life after death"

Notice how this writer actually references Parnia S, et al. AWARE—AWAreness during REsuscitation—A prospective study. Resuscitation (2014)

Drum-roll...here is the original study.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think Nozz was pretty clear;

The study was ok; the newspaper report on it wasn't.
and again all I did was post a link, noz is the one with the issue. I never said anything about life after death.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:26 PM

2,787 posts, read 2,692,997 times
death is only a transfer from this phase of life to the next phase of life

just like when we got to this phase of life after we have finished our previous phase of life which was about 9 months inside a womb.

we had nothing to do regarding choosing our parents
but in this phase we have a choice about where to go in the next phase and we will see the result of our decision in the next phase and there are only two places.

when we got to this world there were some people receiving us , similarly when we die there will be some to receive us but not human .

to get an idea how is the environment of the next phase looks like , ... compare the environment of this life with the environment inside the womb.
It is Allah that takes the souls (of men) at death
and those that die not (He takes) during their sleep
those on whom He has passed the decree of death, He keeps back (from returning to life),
but the rest He sends (to their bodies) for a term appointed verily in this are Signs for those who reflect. The Noble Quran

Old 02-21-2017, 12:33 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,387,301 times
Quote:
actually all i did was provide a link, you are the one who is making an issue out of it.
And I should. When links to false science or, in this case, false interpretation of science..... are dumped without qualification into a thread like this........ the people who know better, who are trained better, or who understand the subject better...... should very much "make an issue" of it.

Quote:
And you did say Parnia was wrong and then go on about credentials don't mean everything, and although I agree with that, your still telling me to take your word over Parnias.
No I am not. I am telling you what his errors were. I am telling you not to take ANYONES word for it. I am giving you the facts, and the ability to go verify those facts yourself.

I have pointed to not one, but TWO statements from him which are simply false. They are entirely erroneous and misleading statements. You do not have to take anyone's word for it. You have Parnias statements. You have my correction of them. So YOU now have the tools to go and verify what I am saying.

But again.........

Quote:
Do you have any credentials in the medical field? if not why should I believe you over Parnia?
Quote:
In other words do you disagree with Parnias findings? if not then this issue that you are making out of it is not an issue at all.
.......... the main crux of my point is NOT with Parnia's errors. In general I have no issue with the study you linked to. The main problem lies in YOUR false interpretation (caused by a poorly written news paper article it seems) of what the Study actually claims and shows. There is nothing in the Study that suggests life after death. At all. If you think otherwise then by all means show how and why.

As I said: There is a reason people like yourself quote news paper articles and not the original study.

Quote:
and again all I did was post a link, noz is the one with the issue. I never said anything about life after death.
I am not sure how outright lying is going to help your case here at all? But just before posting the link you wrote "First hint of 'life after death' in biggest ever scientific study". Then in a subsequent post only 1 minute later you linked to an article of the same title.

So you have come into a thread SPECIFICALLY about consciousness surviving death, posted a claim SPECIFICALLY referring to "life after death", and now you are back peddaling it because you can not support it in any way. This is not an honest move. Nor is it an honest move to paint this as "my word against parnia's" because:

a) I have directly shown you how and why parnia's quoted statements are false but also
b) I have not questioned anything about the actual study itself, the people I am calling out as "wrong" here are you and the news paper for falsely spinning this study to make out it is claiming something it is not.

If you can not own your link, then move on. But that places no onus on me to not point out the errors in it.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:35 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,387,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
death is only a transfer from this phase of life to the next phase of life
Anything at all to verify this narrative in any way? Or is this going to be an "assert and run" tactic mainly? Because last time I checked, putting the word "truth" in your user name does not stop your outright unsubstantiated assertions from BEING unsubstantiated assertions.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:

Sorry-I came in halfway through. If you weren't arguing a case for a continuance of life after death, how does your link relate to topic?
Also, I believe that ToS has something to say about posting links with no explanation.

p.s
in fact I was there at the start and your #15 posted "First hint of 'life after death' in biggest ever scientific study". It was shown that that report was overdrawn whether just to have an eye - catching article or through an Agenda. And, didn't you argue that it was a conclusion fairly based on the original study?

In any case, whether you agree with it or not, isn't really the issue, is it?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 02-21-2017 at 03:09 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 03:14 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,623,204 times
its funny. We think this body is it. This body is not even an "noun", it really is an average set of events that that we call us. The events continue. kind of like the words 'football game".

Where did the game come from?
where did it go?

take the game apart, to the smallest piece of it you can find. You won't find the game. The was game was/is there. Where is the game now?

Old 02-21-2017, 03:25 AM

Think of a candle. It isn't even a noun That's only the name attached to an assemblage of biochemicals.

Now instead of "Game" (which exists nowhere outside human convention), use "flame".

We know where it came from. Just as we know where a human life comes from.

Where does it go when the candle burns out? The same place as the "life" goes.

Now you have your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.