Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will be saved?
A 2 7.69%
B 9 34.62%
Both 8 30.77%
neither 7 26.92%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:06 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,060 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear your opinion on this.
I will give you two examples of two human beings, they are quite extreme examples fruits of my imagination but now that I think about it they have been created bringing together aspects of different people I have encountered in my life.

I personally believe life is not this black and white, but this two extremes would help to give an idea of my point.
I am using the masculine so that I do not have to write he or she all the time.

Person A: He is Christian, possibly a born again Christian who has (or so he sais) has a personal relationship with God, goes to church every Sunday, maybe he even gives his 10 % tithing and gives some money to charity. He strictly believes in the Bible and follows all the rules and regulations and believes that Jesus is his salvation.
When it comes to him as a person and his life choices he has just decided to move his business to Asia because of the cheap labour and has made 100 people redundant in his own country, environment and human rights are not on his agenda. He is self righteous, judgemental and has not compassion when it comes to people less fortunate than him. Afterall they are the makers of their misfortunes.
I could carry on but I think you got the idea.

Person B: lives in a remote village in the Asia and has never heard of Jesus, God or the Bible but believes in a supreme being, the creator of all. He live his life with a sense of awe and respect towards this supreme being and his creation. He has very little and he shares it with the people who might need his help. He is very kind and compassionate and his life is a source of blessing for those who encounter him.

Now A and B die. Who will be saved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:15 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
I voted B and got a 100%.
Did I win anything?

Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Regarding person A: That example contains contradictions. You can tell somewhat what people are by their fruit (altho only God can judge), but I would have a question whether someone who is judgemental, self-righteous and has no compassion for others is born-again or having a personal relationship with God. All the rules and regulations won't save anyone, so I would fear for his salvation.

Regarding person B: I believe God speaks to everyone.. and so someone in a remote village in Asia who has never heard of Jesus or the Bible, yet whose life is truly compassionate and a source of blessing to others has very likely had an encounter with God. And if that person is sincerely following God in the way God has communicated to Him (that person may not even be fully aware of this communication), God will judge accordingly.. and that person could be saved, by Jesus' blood, even if he had never heard of Jesus. However, only God can judge... and such a person, if they would encounter the Bible or hear about Jesus, would again be led into further truth...if he was walking with God it would speak to his heart. That would then be the next step in their personal responsibility. (I have heard different examples of this happening.. when the truth is opened up via the Bible, suddenly that person realizes what has happened, and sees how God has been leading.)

Old 03-04-2008, 09:53 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,060 times
I agree totally with you cg81, only God knows and none of us can say or judge.

As for person A, again I agree with you, he is full of contraddictions and yet I have encountered more than one of this persons. The y don't even realize that what they say is completely different from what they live.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:22 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
IMO, person A is not in touch with his creator..He is in touch with one of the worldly religions..He seems to follow all of the laws, rituals and mindset of his chosen "church", but follows his selfish needs the rest of the week..He eases his conscious by claiming the less fortunate people should have been like he is ..saved by the right choice of religion

Person B on the other hand is very much in touch with the creator..No one has interferred with his relationship with God, no one has tried to show him the "truth"..He has a personal, uncomplicated truth within Him, between himself and his creator..Gods love shows in the way he treats the people around him and in his respect for the world of nature that God has surrounded him with for our sustinence, enjoyment and for us to care for.

Since this is a hypothetical question, I would hypothetically say that person B is more of a child of God..

Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
This is useless because it is up to God. I didn't vote because I am not God.

A is not a Christian if they are self righteous, because our righteousness is usless, it is God who is righteous and every Christian relies upon the righteousness of Jesus Christ to be saved.

B is not a Christian, and it does not matter how nice or compasionate you are you will not get into heaven. If that person truly wants to please God they will get on their knees and seek him in prayer. God will reveal himself to that person through his Son, Jesus Christ. If that person dies before he is told the Gospel he will have to trust in God who is a just judge. God will try every man according to their actions here on earth. The good news is that there is few issolated places that have not heard the good news of Jesus Christ. We have spread the news to every nation. So, all people will have heard and will be without excuse. If you know of a specific person in Asia that is seeking the supreme being and wants to go to heaven, pass on their information and we can forward them to a Christian preacher in their own land. Then they can know the truth for themselves. If you don't know of a specific person don't waste peoples time with debating weather some poor aboriginy will go to heaven.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:07 PM

131 posts, read 312,870 times
Maybe im wrong here but i think the whole point of this thred was to point out how 'following religious rules' does not,on its own, make you a good or moral person.
By saying person A is full of contradictions, well yes, i think thats the point. Showing how sunshine doesn't shine out of all religious people arses (excuse the phrase) and how people should look past the, do they go to church - yes - well they must be a fabulous, moral and respectable citizen.

I am Athiest but personally, if there is a god and heaven/hell I think following religion will have no say what so ever on whether you go to heaven or to hell. I think it will be purely on the type of person you are and what morals/personal (non religious) beliefs you have.

Thats the way I took this thred anyway

Old 03-04-2008, 02:27 PM

14,883 posts, read 17,164,304 times
Hi, as a Universalist Christian, I believe that eventually both will be saved. Someone may experience severe chatisement/ loss but only God knows the person's heart and how long someone may have been in the faith. Person A may be someone who just became a Christian and may still have a long way to go in his walk, learning what pleases the Lord. He may be a newborn babe with many carnal things to overcome or he may on the other hand, be hypocritical and/or unaware of his own poor spiritual condition. I believe that although person B may be doing many good things and have a sincere heart, he is still lost and in need of a Savior. God bless.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Please leave those "poor people in remote villages" alone. They do just fine with their animism (ancestor reverence).
There is much suffering caused by missionaries.
Please leave them alone. I do know what I'm speaking of.

If they don't believe in christianity what would be the point of them being saved? Saved from what? Saved for what?

Old 03-04-2008, 03:27 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,650,253 times
I almost find it funny that some people believe that a good person wouldn't be saved simply because they've never heard of Jesus. The sad thing is though it's not funny at all, it's absurd. I'm normally respectful towards people's beliefs and don't want to offend anyone but quite frankly if I truely believed that God would leave someone behind because they hadn't heard of Him then I wouldn't want to associate myself with Him in any way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality