Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 02:29 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,053,449 times

Advertisements

So what is the etymology of the word Elohim?

Old 06-18-2017, 03:07 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,121 times
Nachmanides: And it stated, Elohim (God), [which means] the master of all the forces, as the root word [here] is el, which is power; and it is a compound word, [made up of] el [and] hem (them), as if 'power' were relational (and would be understood as power of them), and 'them' refers to all the other powers; meaning 'the Power over all the powers.'

Ibn Ezra: “E-lohim” – After we have found [the word] e-loah, we know that E-lohim is its plural form, and the root [of this] is in the nature of language. For every language has a formal form. The way of expressing formality in non-Hebrew languages is by the lesser using the plural in the presence of the greater. In Arabic the way of formal expression is for the greater to speak, as royalty, in the plural. In the Holy Tongue, the way is to refer to the greater in the plural. Like “master” (adonim), “owner” b’alim as the said, “a harsh master” (b’alim) Isaiah 19:4, “his master (b’alim) shall take”. Likewise the word “upon him” (alav), “to him” (elav), “until him” (adav). For this reason does Scripture state “He created” and not “they created”.

Sforno: , The expression “elo-ha” refers to something enduring, eternal. This is why Moses (Deut. 32,17) refers to demons, שדים, as לא אלו-ה, seeing that they are not eternal, are subject to death as our sages taught (Chagigah 16) The reason that the term “elo-ha” here appears in the plural mode, i.e. “elo-him,” is to teach us that G’d is the origin of all the various visible and invisible manifestations in the universe. This is what the prophet (Isaiah 6,3) has in mind when he described G’d as מלא כל הארץ כבודו, “the entire globe is a manifestation of His glory.” There is no other existence unless it has emanated from His existence. This is what Nechemyah 9,6 had in mind when he said ואתה מחיה את כלם, “You provide life for all of them.” When speaking of “appearances,” every phenomenon which is abstract as distinct from being tangible, is described by the generic term אלוקים. Professional, i.e. expert judges are called אלוהים, as they are able to pronounce judgment בצלם אלוקים, reflecting Divine wisdom. Their very profession is testimony to something enduring, divine in nature.

Rabbein Bahya: אלהים, על דרך הפשט לשון אלהות, ופירושו בעל הכחות כלם, ומזה הטעם לא אמר אל ולא אלוה כי אם אלהים בלשון רבים וכן (יהושע כד) אלהים קדושים הוא כי הוא כולל הקדושות כלם, וכן דרך הלשון בממשלת השפלים אדונים קשה בלשון רבים, וזה לגודל מעלות האדון ולרבוי מיני הממשלה שיש לו, וזה בבשר ודם, אף כי בהשם יתברך אשר מיני הממשלה שלו אין להם מספר וכל המושלים אין ממשלתם רק ממנו, והוא אחד וכחותיו רבים, וכן מנהג הלשון בשאר המלות (שמות י"ב מ"ב) ליל שמורים הוא, יום כפורים הוא, ועוד יש לפרש כי נקרא אלהים בבריאת העולם לפי שברא עולמו בחכמה ובתבונה הוא שכתוב (משלי ג יט) ה' בחכמה יסד ארץ כונן שמים בתבונה.

Shadal: Elohim (God): El and eyal is always an expression of power and strength and elohim is the plural form; and this was [the accepted terminology] of the nations that worshiped idols (Kuzari 4:1). And they would call all of the forces of nature that are the causes of phenomena, [elohim], and they would worship them; and each one of them would be a god for them. However, the Hebrews, who were monotheists, kept this name in the plural to indicate that the God that they were worshiping was not [just] one specific power. As the non-Jews would say, "the Lord is the god of the hills and not the god of the valleys," (I Kings 20:28) but [in fact] He is the collection of all the forces and the Master of every force. (And similar to this is the word, seas [yamim], see below, verse 10). So [too] is He called by the name, 'Hosts,' to say that He, Himself, contains all the powers of all of the hosts of the Heavens which the non-Jews would worship - see my commentary on Isaiah 1:9.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:35 PM

El = All = Infinity
I don't think anyone doubts that.
But what does Hym mean?

Old 06-18-2017, 07:50 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post
El = All = Infinity
But what does Hym mean?
He already told you:

E-lohim is its plural form

Old 06-18-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
El = All = Infinity
But what does Hym mean?
He already told you:

E-lohim is its plural form

or does ...s' explain it better

Old 06-18-2017, 07:56 PM

How many other plurals are created by adding hym?

Old 06-18-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
How many other plurals are created by adding hym?
Do you not know what the word plural means?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffixes_in_Hebrew
Plural Nouns

Old 06-18-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Do you not know what the word plural means?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffixes_in_Hebrew
Plural Nouns
Did you not understand my question? The pages you link to show many different ways of forming plurals but none of them involve adding -hym

Old 06-18-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Did you not understand my question? The pages you link to show many different ways of forming plurals but none of them involve adding -hym
It's -him or -im and not -hym.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:33 PM

Where do you see -him? I dont see it in there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality