Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 10:12 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,965,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm no longer a Christian and I don't "believe in Jesus" as God or as my "savior", just for the record.

But I'm wondering why the bible (and I'm assuming you are including any non-canonical books about Jesus?) would be something you wouldn't consider as proof of the existence of a 'real person'. I mean, I get not accepting that it is all accurate and unembellished -- that, in my mind, is a given. My question would be, where did these writings spring from if not from the existence of an actual historical figure?
I have stated in other posts, but I don't expect anyone to be aware of them, that when I say "Jesus never existed" I'm always referring to the Jesus painted in the gospels who was the Son of God and died for our sins and did all the miracles.

I'm NEVER referring to any one of the hundreds of Yeshuas or Joshuas roaming the hills of Palestine at that time claiming to be the Messiah who the gospel writers plucked out of obscurity to be the template upon which they built all the Jesus mythology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There's very little material about Jesus in the Old Testament. Some highly symbolic language in Genesis, Isaiah, and other books has been interpreted by Christians to be about Jesus. But the Jews aren't buying it.
And neither are the millions of savvy Christians turning atheist/agnostic who are finding this out.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why would I need more, thrill?
That's what I thought.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:16 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,420,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I have stated in other posts, but I don't expect anyone to be aware of them, that when I say "Jesus never existed" I'm always referring to the Jesus painted in the gospels who was the Son of God and died for our sins and did all the miracles.
Okay.

Quote:
I'm NEVER referring to any one of the hundreds of Yeshuas or Joshuas roaming the hills of Palestine at that time claiming to be the Messiah who the gospel writers plucked out of obscurity to be the template upon which they built all the Jesus mythology.
Okay, so that's your theory? That a bunch of writers all picked a person (the same person, or did they all choose different ones?) and decided to build a myth surrounding that person? Or did one person do that, and then other people followed suit? Or...? Just asking you to flesh this out for me, because it seems improbable to me.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:30 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times
So, why would I care if legendary elements accrued to the person named Jesus who brought the message of God's love?

Old 07-12-2017, 10:50 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,063,850 times
Quote:
That's what I thought.
So you agree no more is needed? Is that it?

Because it's 66 books. Not 1 big book. 66 books written over a course of thousands of years by different authors, all agreeing on the one thing: Man sinned, God redeemed us through Jesus. To suggest more is needed is simply bias. It wouldn't matter if we produced 300 books, you'd complain it wasn't enough.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:20 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,024,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Produce a single , non youtube whacko , recognized historical scholar who denies Jesus existed.
Let's see - you have an opportunity to prove your god and all you can come up with is "prove he isn't?" You ain't gonna get ME into church with that!

You make a case for his non-existence. Come on - I also want evidence of his existence, never mind whether he was god or not. Just his existence.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:49 AM

18,513 posts, read 9,196,541 times
Quote:
The entire OT is about him. The coming Messiah. Jews recognize there is a Messiah to come..they just aren't willing to recognize it was Jesus.
There's nothing specific. It's all highly symbolic language that can be interpreted to mean almost anything.

Maybe the OT is referring to Ronald McDonald or Richard Nixon. Or Prince.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:50 AM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:

::Sigh:: Thrill, the Jesus narrative is a spiritual template of how the spiritual understanding of God will evolve, emphasis on SPIRITUAL. Nothing about the Bible or about Jesus has anything to do with archeological HISTORY. That is carnal thinking for carnal minds. The Bible is about the Spiritual, not the carnal or worldly. There is not the remotest doubt about the spiritual existence and significance of Jesus to the evolution of our understanding of God. His impact has been felt for thousands of years.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:29 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,450,659 times
Quote:
The entire OT is about him. The coming Messiah. Jews recognize there is a Messiah to come..they just aren't willing to recognize it was Jesus.
Moshiach is not mentioned once in the Torah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality