Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:35 PM

27 posts, read 74,730 times

Advertisements

Before I believed anything, I had a laundry list of questions I would ask everytime I was confronted with the name Jesus or anything to do with the Bible. I would ask anything from: Why arent the dinosours in the bible? to How can a good God, send people to Hell?...

Even though we can only answer so many questions before the individual has to take it upon themselves to build a relationship with the Lord. I feel that it would be good idea to start a thread that will try to answer some of those questions.

This thread is For those who are seeking the truth or that just would like to know what Christians have to say about this or that...

The best way to get answers are to ask questions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 01:43 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,758,676 times
The biggest problem is that a good portion of them (no not ALL) refuse to see that their way is not the only way. They think it's their duty to forcibly bring unbelievers to their point of view, kicking and screaming if necessary. Anyone not agreeing with them is automatically branded evil, sinner, satanist, damned. The rest of us tire of hearing the same rote phrases over and over and having our lives interrupted on a regular basis by the annoyance of being "witnessed" to. It vexes us. That's the problem that I see.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:52 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
The biggest problem is that a good portion of them (no not ALL) refuse to see that their way is not the only way. They think it's their duty to forcibly bring unbelievers to their point of view, kicking and screaming if necessary. Anyone not agreeing with them is automatically branded evil, sinner, satanist, damned. The rest of us tire of hearing the same rote phrases over and over and having our lives interrupted on a regular basis by the annoyance of being "witnessed" to. It vexes us. That's the problem that I see.
I've never tried to bring anyone into the faith forcibly. I'm actually thankful that so many people with so much disdain for Christianity actually come to this forum and enter into discussions with other believers. All I ever try and do is just speak the Truth in love and hang out with fellow humans.

now I'd be lying if I said I 'don't care' what you believe, because if I care for you (and I do) then I have to care about you from an eternal perspective (and I do). That being said, you can not force someone to believe or accept, you can just present them with an opportunity. If that's not for you, then you reject it and move on. If it's something you might consider, then I think as believers we should all be in a position to discuss it. (I don't mean 'you' as in you, RoaminRed, I'm speaking generally)

Old 03-12-2008, 01:56 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
I think one of the the biggest problem with Christianity (as a whole) is their intolerance of other beliefs even though they worship the same God and follow the same strict moral codes..

Another problem with christianity is within christianity itself..There are so many different doctrines and they argue over why their particular doctrine is the only one that guarantees a spot in heaven...

Old 03-12-2008, 01:58 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,072,460 times
As a Christian my biggest problem is the Old Testament.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post

I completley understand where you are coming from. I actually have only been a Christian for about 3 years now and before then I thought it was some kind of cult. Even today, when someone is preachering forcefully it kind of can get to me.

The gospel is about love and mercy and about the Good News brought to us through Jesus. A relationship with God should not be forced upon anyone, if the message of the Gospel is presented in any other format other than out of Love then it becomes repulsive to the listener.

RoaminRed, what is it that you believe in if you dont mind me asking..

Old 03-12-2008, 02:07 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I think one of the the biggest problem with Christianity (as a whole) is their intolerance of other beliefs even though they worship the same God and follow the same strict moral codes..

Another problem with christianity is within christianity itself..There are so many different doctrines and they argue over why their particular doctrine is the only one that guarantees a spot in heaven...
While I would agree that the Bible and the Koran follow the same text early on, I disagree that Muslims worship the same God as Christians and Jews. Blue, do you think a person who has been exposed to the gospel can enter Heaven any way apart from Christ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
As a Christian my biggest problem is the Old Testament.
How so, bt? The violence? The law?

What is it that causes you problems?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post

When you say that ..."we worship the same GOd and follow the same strict moral codes" are you implieing that Islam, Christanity, Buddhism, etc...are all preaching about the same God?

If you take the Gospel and look at it in its entirity there isnt one area of contradiction. Once an individual that tries to interpet, or put there ideas in with the scripture is where you find the contradictions. Gods word is perfect, it doesnt need to be added to. Unfortunalety some people will take the word of God and fit his word into their lives instead of doing the opposite. Which is a huge error. Jesus even talked about how its amazing how we will make the gospel say or mean a certain thing just in order for it to fit our lifestyles.

Let me ask you this before i go farther...how versed are you with the bible? would you say that you have read the bible, or that most of the stuff you know about God and all that stuff is from what you have heard and picked up over the years.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 PM

Just to name a few differences from any other religion:

Christianity is the only personal God in the World. It is the only God that died for its creation and it is the only God that comes within you.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:16 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,822 times
Many Christians don't present the proper conduct.

Many become defensive, combative, verbally abusive and show no compassion. This being said, I guess this falls under people in general, not just Christians.

Without the proper conduct, it turns people thoughts to, "Look at him/her. He/She's a Christian????? And I want to be like him/her????"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality