Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 12:20 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,899,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
My heart reaches out to you 303Guy. I can't even imagine the pain thinking about much less telling about that situation, and yes, the toxic environment carries on until someone stops it...sometimes too late. Yes, you can understand and even maybe forgive your wife's part, but how can you forget?
Indeed...and a great example of why the cancer of religion should be eradicated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 04:57 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Indeed...and a great example of why the cancer of religion should be eradicated.
And the cancer of judging a whole people like we did indians, or whole faith groups like so many do Muslims or perceptions of cosmology like some do faith statements because of the actions of SOME of those groups? What should we do about THAT?

Old 09-17-2017, 07:44 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,646,957 times
try being honest nate.

Toss out one illegal immigrant doesn't make a person a bigot.
Call out one transgender for irrational behavior (not the orientation part) doesn't make people anti-gay.
looking at the first interaction that gets a criminal shot and killed doesn't make police abuse.
Calling some inner city school parents a disgrace doesn't make a person a racist.

anti-white middle class american is racist, bigotry, and part of the problem.
all wrapped up in anti religion.

you tell me where you are not part of the problem? You are at least as big a part as me.

My bad, I said "one", I mean a percentage. lets say 10% of the groups listed. I have a lot experience with people of all ages and back grounds. 80-85% of all people are rational people trying to help each other. The 5-10% ers are telling us what to do these days. good show you guys got going on nate.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 09-17-2017 at 07:53 AM..

Old 09-17-2017, 08:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
try being honest nate.

Call out one transgender for irrational behavior (not the orientation part) doesn't make people anti-gay.
looking at the first interaction that gets a criminal shot and killed doesn't make police abuse.
Calling some inner city school parents a disgrace doesn't make a person a racist.

you tell me where you are not part of the problem? You are at least as big a part as me.

My bad, I said "one", I mean a percentage. lets say 10% of the groups listed. I have a lot experience with people of all ages and back grounds. 80-85% of all people are rational people trying to help each other. The 5-10% ers are telling us what to do these days. good show you guys got going on nate.
So, basically you are telling me that it is NOT bigotry to call out actions that do NO actual harm to anyone but arouse the prejudice of even a majority of people? When you can demonstrate ANY actual harm coming from a trans acting on his feelings you will have a case.

NOW deal with the ACTUAL harm generated by people who act on the attitudes you hold by bullying or even just trying to get them marked as "other" and separated from their peers.

YOU are the ONLY problem here.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, basically you are telling me that it is NOT bigotry to call out actions that do NO actual harm to anyone but arouse the prejudice of even a majority of people? When you can demonstrate ANY actual harm coming from a trans acting on his feelings you will have a case.

NOW deal with the ACTUAL harm generated by people who act on the attitudes you hold by bullying or even just trying to get them marked as "other" and separated from their peers.

YOU are the ONLY problem here.
you prove my point.

"its them; not us".
thinking.

you're the bully. bullying us with "it isn't right", "what about the poor children.", or the favorite tactic 'but its not their fault."

you bully people. There is nothing i said that was illogical. You are being illogical and a bully. You blame me. You will not take any responsibility for the actions of your own people. whatever they are. I do, I take responsibility for the wrong in my group very seriously.

good job nate
keep the hate.

funny again, not a word about a belief statement on god. you can't do that can you. You need a place to lay blame. work on that would ya.

Old 09-17-2017, 11:30 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,747,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
try being honest nate.

This is purely self-justification for deeply inset bigotry. But bigots are generally less intelligent folks who are concerned with their own safety.
Quote:
---people's educational level is not what determines whether they are racist or not - it's innate intelligence, according to the academics.
Social status also appears to play no part.

The study, published in Psychological Science, claims that right-wing ideology forms a 'pathway' for people with low reasoning ability to become prejudiced against groups such as other races and gay people.
-----
Cognitive abilities are critical in forming impressions of other people and in being open minded,' say the researchers.
'Individuals with lower cognitive abilities may gravitate towards more socially conservative right-wing ideologies that maintain the status quo.
-----
The researchers also compared their results against a 1986 American study which included tests of cognitive ability and questions assessing prejudice against homosexuals.

The authors claim that there is a strong correlation between low intelligence both as a child and an adult, and right-wing politics.
-------
In psychological terms, the relation between intelligence and prejudice may stem from the propensity of individuals with lower cognitive ability to endorse more right wing conservative ideologies because such ideologies offer a psychological sense of stability and order.'

Read more: Right-wingers are less intelligent than left wingers, says controversial study - and conservative politics can lead people to be racist | Daily Mail Online

So, yes, we stupid theists are able to forgive you for what you are, but not what you are trying to do to others.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
This is purely self-justification for deeply inset bigotry. But bigots are generally less intelligent folks who are concerned with their own safety.
Read more: Right-wingers are less intelligent than left wingers, says controversial study - and conservative politics can lead people to be racist | Daily Mail Online

So, yes, we stupid theists are able to forgive you for what you are, but not what you are trying to do to others.
nope it isn't. its based soley on actions of the individual. The race, religion, or any other defining characteristics is never in question. Only the actions of the people/person.

Your right to do what you want stops at another person. No matter what your "whatever" is. white, black, brown, or pink. I don't care.

also, the science/math says we can make predictions on people's behaviors knowing something about that individual. Insurance is based in it. It may not feel good, but its true

so letting people get away with certain inappropriate behaviors because they are "whatever" is being a bigot too. Forcing people to have to accept antisocial or dangerous behavior of people do to their race, religion, or whatever is wrong ward. I am surprised you don't see it. shocked that you think diferent to tell you the truth.

so again, when the war starts, I am just not sure what side to take. I am not sure i like siding with wolves in sheep's clothing. be them fundy theists or mill atheists. I am ok with siding with sheep, or wolf, if they are open and honest about what is going on.

Last edited by Arach Angle; 09-17-2017 at 03:05 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 03:56 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,052,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
What happened to their faith?
Or their resoect for God's creation?
That stuff gets conveniently tossed the moment they run into somebody their political leaders or nasty, book-thumping religious leaders tell them to hate.

It's all BS. What the heck difference should it make to anybody if somebody else is transgendered? Who cares? Why does it matter? And, if these people are actually religious - which they clearly are not - they should be following Christ's example of "love thy neighbor." I don't recall him ending that sentence with "provided they are straight, white, rich, and of the same faith as you."

Old 09-17-2017, 03:59 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,052,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Contradict whose perception of "normal?" the christian sense??

Real men wear kilts...
If you really want to dig into what is considered "normal" by biblical standards, it will be rather amazing. Polygamy is in there, as is straight-up murdering entire towns if anyone in them doesn't worship their god. And then they get hissy when us "evil progressives" don't buy into their "everything in there is 100% right, so it should be the law" nonsense.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:28 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,897,854 times
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

I love this science teacher. Everything we've been discussing, in a nutshell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality