Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 10:05 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,767,902 times

Advertisements

The No image bods seem to think they have won the which god debate by refusing to draw pictures of him. I mean, It makes no difference. The cross, Elephant headed or Zeus -type God is no more and no less a symbol than with Name, whether written in Hebrew or Arabic.

The images and symbols no more claim to depict God or a god any more than a word on paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 10:15 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,370,673 times
The cross is not a symbol of worship though. It's a reminder of the Passion and the Resurrection.

We don't use the cross to worship Jesus, we use the cross to remember our sins are forgiven.

Meanwhile, some Muslim somewhere worships a creepy meteorite cube and tells me how because the images they worship are purely geometric, that somehow makes it okay.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:47 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,095,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The No image bods seem to think they have won the which god debate by refusing to draw pictures of him. I mean, It makes no difference. The cross, Elephant headed or Zeus -type God is no more and no less a symbol than with Name, whether written in Hebrew or Arabic.

The images and symbols no more claim to depict God or a god any more than a word on paper.
Well, depends on what exactly is the OP asking?

If the OP is asking to physically describe god then pictures should answer the question. No?

Old 10-02-2017, 11:10 AM

11,123 posts, read 7,191,653 times
I could share what God is to me, but a better approach would be for each person to find what God (or even "God") is to him or her. The comparison game can be fun and even educational, but if we are each to move forward, we must find our own path. We're all different, and will always see life and the universe differently. Why bother worrying what God is to others? We each have to account for our lives and our time down here. It's not up to us to account for or explain the Jack and Jills around us.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,767,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Well, depends on what exactly is the OP asking?

If the OP is asking to physically describe god then pictures should answer the question. No?
What the OP asks leaves it open for anyone to say what the term means to them. Word or picture. It is always on the believer to explain what it means, not the asker to tell them.

The point made here is that the superiority -claim of 'we don't make pictures' gains them nothing, as icons, idols, symbols and written holy names are not more than reminders of the thing that is believed.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,074,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I think God might be the label for the very being that allows and/or inspires Christians and Muslims and Jews to compete with and hurt each other (even inter-denominationally). Or God might be the very being that lets Hindus wallow in non-Abrahamic theisms (supposedly a horrible fate, although Abrahamism is just as horrible if not worse when studied in detail). Or God could be the being that only once lost control of heaven, but a second time is sure to come if that were true. God is the mental-model of security for the insecure man. God could be the mental-model for point of worship for the man that has nothing else to worship at that point and without worshiping would feel incomplete.
...this worshiping would provide for them feelings of cronyism, which provides them with feelings of allegiance to power, which ties back around to providing them with make-believe feelings of security.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,338,421 times
Gods and goddesses are numerous from the mighty goddess Diana that was worshipped world over before Christianity,to the gods and goddesses of Los Angeles that people worship everyday,they are a vital source of something,their archetypes or characteristics/symbols speak to us.

I dreamt of the goddess Diana who I had never heard of thirty or so times,I looked her up,I believe gods and goddesses serve some sort of deep purpose in the psyche,in the mythology of our lives.

Last edited by Katiethegreat; 10-02-2017 at 01:10 PM..

Old 10-02-2017, 03:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,808 times
Whatever created the female, beer and bass.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:15 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,415,048 times
Light, brilliant and magnificent, comprised of Pure Awareness and infinite eternal Bliss-Love,
existing in a place where there is no space or time, Who is manifested in All That Is....seen
and unseen.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:27 PM

25,599 posts, read 17,334,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Inquiring mind... (mine)... would like to know for a project I'm working on.

Many thanks.
The totality of all consciousness. God is our awareness. He is life itself. He cannot be prayed to, revered, ignored or explained.
If God did not exist, we could not be aware of ourselves. If we did not exist, neither would God. We are the thoughts of God, and the motion of God. God is the sea; we are the waves. One cannot exist without the other.

The degree to which we are aware of ourselves is the degree to which we are aware of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality