Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 04:18 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,059,154 times

Advertisements

A poster in another thread says that there is no reason to believe that the Bible is true. According to the Bible the reason you should take the Bible seriously is because, like the image below, the Bible speaks in (multiple) tongues (at once).

Everyone hears the Bible speaking in their own language. Now this by itself does not prove that the Bible is true. But it does prove that it was put together by highly intelligent people who put a great deal of time and effort into it. At the very least this means that the Bible should not be dismissed out of hand.

The same poster states that Genesis is unscientific.

I have spent a great deal of time and energy studying the Bible and have concluded that Genesis is scientifically accurate.

Day 1: The core of the Sun (now a brown dwarf) collapses and Neptune, Ouranos, Satyrn, & Jupiter spin off the Suns equator.
Day 2: Super heated core material erupts onto the suns surface forming a pancake dome (firmament) and boils off all volatiles (waters).
Day 3: Earth, Mars, Venus, & Mercury spin off the suns equator.
Day 4: Four moons spin off the Earths equator.

Quote:
Day 4:
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven.
And God made two great lights; the greater light (Theia) to rule the day, and the lesser light (our current moon) to rule the night: he made the 2 stars also (Ceres and ????).

3 billion years ago Theia's decaying orbit reached the Roche limit and for the next 1.5 billion years Theia slowly deposited all of its mass onto a ring of mountains circling the earth's equator.

First the ices on Theia's surface was deposited. This created Earths ocean (and atmosphere). Since the earth at that time had no continents the water completely flooded its surface.

Then the granodiorite was deposited. The granodiorite metamorphosed into the various rocks of the continental crust.

Then 2.4 billion years ago the dunite was deposited. This created the banded iron formations. The dunite sank to the bottom of the mantle (d'' layer)

Finally, 1.5 billion years ago, the uranium was deposited. (Orichalcum)

During all this time Earth would have had a ring like Saturn. From the ground this ring would have looked very much like a rainbow.

Quote:
And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Make thee an ark of gopher wood;

And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth

And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights.

And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations:

I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.

Last edited by granpa; 01-17-2018 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 04:21 PM

An example of Jesus speaking in multiple tongues at once:

destroy this Temple and raze it I will in 3 days.

Destroy this Temple and raise it I will in 3 days

Quote:
And there arose certain, and bare false witness against him, saying,

We heard him say, destroy this Temple and raze it I will in 3 days.

But neither so did their witness agree together.

Last edited by granpa; 01-17-2018 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 04:29 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,905,403 times
If the Bible has multiple levels of meaning, that doesn't make it unique from other classical or popular literature which has endured. In fact, I don't think the authors are even aware of this.

This is even more true of poetry where the poet will often write intuitively without even knowing the meaning of his own verse himself. Which could probably be compared to the Psalms and the prophets.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:31 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,076,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post

That makes absolutely zero sense.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
If the Bible has multiple levels of meaning, that doesn't make it unique from other classical or popular literature which has endured. In fact, I don't think the authors are even aware of this.

This is even more true of poetry where the poet will often write intuitively without even knowing the meaning of his own verse himself. Which could probably be compared to the Psalms and the prophets.
I didn't say the Bible was unique and, as far as I know, the Bible doesn't state that the Bible is unique.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 PM

7,257 posts, read 7,115,634 times
Quote:

OMG. Do you really think that the word "raze" (tear down) and "raise" (to build) were also homonyms in the original biblical language?

Old 01-17-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That makes absolutely zero sense.
Well we can agree on that.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:55 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,078,772 times
Quote:
I didn't say the Bible was unique and, as far as I know, the Bible doesn't state that the Bible is unique.
Migh make more sense if everyone understood what the bible is.
It's not a book.
It's a library of books.
Asking if the bible is true makes as much sense as asking if the library is true, it's a nonsensical question.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 PM

raze (v.)
1540s, alteration of racen "pull or knock down" (a building or town), from earlier rasen (14c.) "to scratch, slash, scrape, erase," from Old French raser "to scrape, shave," from Medieval Latin rasare, frequentative of Latin radere (past participle rasus) "to scrape, shave," possibly from an extended form of PIE root *red- "to scrape, scratch, gnaw." Related: Razed; razing.

erase (v.)
c. 1600, from Latin erasus, past participle of eradere "scrape out, scrape off, shave; abolish, remove," from assimilated form of ex "out" (see ex-) + radere "to scrape" (possibly from an extended form of PIE root *red- "to scrape, scratch, gnaw").

rise (v.)
Old English risan "to rise, rise from sleep, get out of bed; stand up, rise to one's feet; get up from table; rise together; be fit, be proper" (usually arisan; class I strong verb; past tense ras, past participle risen), from Proto-Germanic *us-risanan "to go up" (source also of Old Norse risa, Old Saxon risan, Gothic urreisan "to rise," Old High German risan "to rise, flow," German reisen "to travel," originally "to rise for a journey").

Old 01-17-2018, 05:05 PM

So, you think the bible was first written in 1540 in French? Or 1400s Latin?

How .... Well the thing I want to say is probably against tos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality