Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times

Advertisements

We just finished watching this movie as it was just released to cable and DVD. I must say I am still moved by an army of feelings.

As a very frequent visiter to Southern Utah, especially Cedar City where we spend at least a 3-4 day weekend at the KOA Campground once a month I have formed an opinion of the state, the people and the dominant religion - Mormons. I love it all !!

In fact we just got back from there. We got stuck at the KOA in our RV in the middle of the blizzard over the weekend. We visited the Mormon Meadow Massacre before the storm as we have done a dozen times. What we read on that granite wall and the signs does not come very close to what the movie portrayed.

Now I know TV colors things for our viewing pleasure but geez !! This movie made Mormons out to be monsters. The LDS church to this very day denies having anything to do with the massacre as well as denying that Brigham Young had anything to do with it. The movie said otherwise.

Can any elders of LDS or those ancesters of the victims or just some opinions of those with info that I have not yet read anywhere help me/us here?

This story has had my attention and curiosity for years. After this movie I am fasinated for opinions.

Thanks......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 09:38 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,558 times
Of course all Mormons are not monsters. I spent many of my growing-up years in a Mormon community, in Wyoming, (though I am not Mormon, myself), and I can tell you, from personal experience, that the majority of Mormons are good folks, just as most people from other faiths are good folks.

However, that being said, there are also some bad apples in the Mormon community, (both leaders, and laity), and frankly, I do believe that there is enough evidence to show that the Mountain Meadows Massacre was orchestrated, and carried out, by fanatics within the Mormon church. I'm not sure why this would be such a surprise to anyone, because the Mormons have their share of fanatics, just as any other faith system does. There is no belief system that has not had it's share of fanatics, weirdos, whackos, and evildoers. Of course, it's an embarrassment to all belief systems to have to admit to the sins and frailities of some of their followers, but if we, as humans, would avoid the mistakes of the past, we must know about them first, and then learn from them.

It is, indeed, a fascinating story, though a sad one. I'm glad you mentioned the movie, as I had forgotten it was coming out on DVD. Guess I'll have to make a trip to my local video store.

Last edited by CelticLady1; 03-20-2008 at 09:55 AM..

Old 03-20-2008, 10:23 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
Sounds like a movie I'll want to see. It's odd that this massacre happened on a September 11th. Eerie, I guess the word is.
I don't believe this movie portrays a whole religious group, just a few. There are good and bad in all groups, countries, skincolors....

Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times
Not well reviewed by critics.

September Dawn Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

Old 03-23-2008, 12:02 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,785,580 times
Watched it, not so sure if I liked it. It seemed a bit choppy, had a forced love story which seemed to be added just for interest. This story is horrific enough it did not need to be colored with more details. It also defined Christians as good and mormons as bad. Which clearly is argumentative and biased.

I think it would have been much more interesting if the majority of the movie focused on the 5 days that the Francher trailcompany was held up after the indians attacked. This would have been a great place to meet more of the pioneers that were slaughtered by these brainwashed men. They were real people living real lives, they deserve to have their story told, not commercialized by an anti-mormon filmmaker trying to make it big in Hollywood.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:33 PM

I kinda agree with you moonsavy. Thanks for all the comments so far. I was really hoping for some input/opinions from some long time Mormons from the old school.

Maybe no one likes to talk about it. I dunno but if that is the case I would like to hear that from some one.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I kinda agree with you moonsavy. Thanks for all the comments so far. I was really hoping for some input/opinions from some long time Mormons from the old school.

Maybe no one likes to talk about it. I dunno but if that is the case I would like to hear that from some one.
Yeah, I wouldn't count on "long time" mormons commenting on this film. I highly doubt many have even seen it. It would be viewed as anti-mormon due to it's content. And the mountain meadow massacre is still a very taboo subject that no one in the church really wants to acknowledge.

But maybe we sparked some interest?

Take care, many blessings to you

Old 03-23-2008, 10:18 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't count on "long time" mormons commenting on this film. I highly doubt many have even seen it. It would be viewed as anti-mormon due to it's content. And the mountain meadow massacre is still a very taboo subject that no one in the church really wants to acknowledge.

i'm not really sure that this is an entirely accurate statement, as i've sat through sunday school lessons that devolved into debates about brigham young's involvement or lack thereof.

it's talked about. i am sure that there are plenty of people out there who avoid the question, but there are just as many that fanatically want to defend their position, whatever it may be. and i would bet that there are a decent number of moderates out there as well.

my thoughts: celticlady said it best. it was a bunch of fanatics. i am sure that they thought they were doing someone a favor, whether that was themselves, brigham, God, their neighbors, their fishing club, whatever.

i don't see them as any different than any other terrorists or weirdos that i've had to learn about. but i also haven't seen anything in my studies that counts as proof that it was a conspiracy incorporating the church.

just as when the retarded missionaries break catholic shrines and disrespect their altars, the massacre left a bad taste in a lot of mouths. but i hope that people can realize at the same time as these violent men were butchering children, the rest of the church was actively trying to get on with their lives and everyone in them, including the nonmormon 'gentiles' that were moving in alongside them.

and in case it isn't obvious, stuff like this gets me a little riled, not just because they make it harder on all of the rest of us, but because there is no way in my mind that you justify killing innocents--especially kids--blasphemying shrines (of any religion), or doing any of the other multitudes of stupid things that people get in trouble for.

aaron out.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post

I was thinking the same thing, especially the elder Mormons not wanting to talk about what they might think is taboo. I just wanted to hear some one say it....which would speak volumes. But the other post below suggests that there will always be another side who will yell out loud trying to defend their position as well.

I just purchased the DVD to send to my Mom to watch. We brought her with us in the RV last weekend to see the Massacre site. I liked the movie. Hell with what the critics say about it. What do they know anyway?

Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I was thinking the same thing, especially the elder Mormons not wanting to talk about what they might think is taboo. I just wanted to hear some one say it....which would speak volumes. But the other post below suggests that there will always be another side who will yell out loud trying to defend their position as well.

I just purchased the DVD to send to my Mom to watch. We brought her with us in the RV last weekend to see the Massacre site. I liked the movie. Hell with what the critics say about it. What do they know anyway?
You've been to the sight? Now you've really sparked my interest. What was the vibe? How did it feel? Please report.

PS To Aaron, I really wouldn't compare slaughtering people with vandalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality