Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,769,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Not even a coincidence -- it's a perceived pattern match brought on by confirmation bias. When you're looking for a preconceived pattern, you will invariably find it. And some percentage of those "hits" will seem somewhat organic, particularly after a bunch of people jump on board and talk you further into it.

This is how biblical numerology and a number of other such things work.
Exactly. Great post mordant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 09:05 AM

20,300 posts, read 13,701,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
And the Bible is full of 3:16 verses.
Yes. And I'll be the Quran is, too ;-)

Who is to say it's not Genesis 3:16 or II Carbuncles 3:16 in the Book of Bob?

Old 01-14-2018, 09:09 AM

17,953 posts, read 13,927,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Is Ed Gein your idol (hence the username)?
Who the heck SHOULD be my idol then? Dahmer, Chikatilo, Fish?

Old 01-14-2018, 11:21 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,136,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Who the heck SHOULD be my idol then? Dahmer, Chikatilo, Fish?
So many choices but life so short, I guess, eh?

Might as well choose the one who chopped up women and made an outfit out of their skin though, I guess, right? Classy.

I'll pray for you.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:01 PM

16,151 posts, read 6,468,648 times
Quote:
So many choices but life so short, I guess, eh?

Might as well choose the one who chopped up women and made an outfit out of their skin though, I guess, right? Classy.

I'll pray for you.
Rule #62

Old 01-14-2018, 01:56 PM

16,151 posts, read 6,468,648 times
Quote:

Or maybe in this case 1 Corinthians 3:16

1 Corinthians 3:16New International Version (NIV)
16 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?

Old 01-14-2018, 02:10 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,136,177 times
Quote:

You're being as selective as you're accusing me of being.

We all KNOW that Tebow had the verse I'm referring to on his eye black.

He passed for 316. There were some other numbers in there as well.

He could have passed for anything that day - any number between 75 and 500, in reality.

It's all good though.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
You're being as selective as you're accusing me of being.

We all KNOW that Tebow had the verse I'm referring to on his eye black.

He passed for 316. There were some other numbers in there as well.

He could have passed for anything that day - any number between 75 and 500, in reality.

It's all good though.
You're associating two numbers, 3 and 16, with a third number, 316. You're assuming the significance of that supports John 3:16 when it could support any other book that contains that chapter and verse, as well as that chapter and verse in any other book organized in that manner. You're doing that because of confirmation bias: you want and need it to relate to John 3:16. Also you're forgetting another perfectly valid and more likely possibility: it relates to nothing whatsoever.

Finally, this begs a pretty important question: why is god hiding behind some random football quarterback's passing number instead of just revealing himself? Particularly when his failure to do so is apt to result in billions of souls in eternal perdition, while he himself supposedly is "not willing that any should perish"?

And a meta-question: if you're reduced to "substantiating" your god's existence by reading these sorts of tea leaves ... what does that suggest to any thinking person are the odds that he actually DOES exist? And how is it substantively different from some witch doctor reading pig entrails?

Old 01-14-2018, 07:51 PM
Status: "BAGA - Be a Great American: Expose far-right lies daily" (set 7 days ago)

11,315 posts, read 7,353,573 times
I'm glad I'm not into numerology, astrology, and all that stuff. I'm also glad I don't look to football players for wisdom and insight. So many folks these days look for hidden clues and secret messages, as if our brains were back in the dark ages or something. If the wind blows by, it has some deep meaning LOL.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm glad I'm not into numerology, astrology, and all that stuff. I'm also glad I don't look to football players for wisdom and insight. So many folks these days look for hidden clues and secret messages, as if our brains were back in the dark ages or something. If the wind blows by, it has some deep meaning LOL.
Well now there's some common ground between a theist and an atheist.

That's really my only point ... believe in Jesus and Jehovah if you must, but don't cite or argue stuff that's ridiculous enough to raise the eyebrows even of lots of believers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality