Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 01:51 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,348,899 times

Advertisements

I know many people in my area that go through the motions and make sure to be seen at a Christian church to build a social network useful for business purposes. Most of them do this within the megachurch environment where all you really have to do is show up and blend in with the huge crowd. One contractor friend puts those Jesus fish things on his trucks, he says that it helps him close the deal on quotes. If you are known to be a non believer in my area, your business and career prospects will suffer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 02:03 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,132,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I know many people in my area that go through the motions and make sure to be seen at a Christian church to build a social network useful for business purposes. Most of them do this within the megachurch environment where all you really have to do is show up and blend in with the huge crowd. One contractor friend puts those Jesus fish things on his trucks, he says that it helps him close the deal on quotes. If you are known to be a non believer in my area, your business and career prospects will suffer.
Very common among politicians. It's also amazing how Amway and Mary Kay tends to be big in churches.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,100,444 times
Quote:
I know these types as well. But also a lot of people that don't believe (nor own a business) but simply go for the family hoping to either blend in, be favored by the elderly, convert themselves or their family into nicer people, or a mix of these. Many also go hoping that "the good teachings" will help bring them positivity (in perspective, etc.) or delude others to build a better society (and not be so selfish, self-interest, self-worrying) which they would be helpful for themselves and their future generations.

They either fear the power of religion/family, or want to use it in good or selfish ways.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:41 PM

134 posts, read 97,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
While I'm not particularly religious, I realize there is intrinsic value in being a part of a strong community. When you look at religious organizations like LDS, Judaism, Catholicism, and Scientology, there is a demonstrable correlation between membership and success. I think a large part of that is due to being part of a tight knit community. You have a place to network, reach out to in times of need, and rely on to help bring you up. When you don't have a community to rely on, tough times can be extraordinarily erosive on an individual. As the saying goes, "it takes a village..."

With that said, would you ever consider joining a religious organization for the sake of being part of a strong community, with the intent of exploiting the support network to enhance your success and standing in the world?
I completely agree with you that we need these types of connections, but to me it would be very hard to go just for pretend without actually believing in the faith.

I recently stopped going to my church for the same reason. There was a Sunday meeting for parents while kids had religion class. From the look on everyone's faces and how much more attention they were giving to their phones and even laughing at jokes while people were presenting, you can guess how much they truly believe in what they are doing there. I can't do that anymore.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:36 PM

20,289 posts, read 13,686,670 times
Quote:
Outside the Bible Belt the effect is inverted. No one cares what you (dis)believe, but if you put one of those fish symbols on your letterhead or vehicle, they tend to be suspicious of you. Not so much because Christians necessarily have a bad rep as such, but because shysters use it to get people's guards down. I have known Christians to use it as an excuse for poor products or service, so they can play innocent and also deal the persecution card if you get assertive with them. Those folks seem to believe it's god's will for them to be in business and for you to give them money. But ... I've also suspected at times the business owner has no particular faith practice and just uses it to con people.

Personally I think trumpeting your faith in a business setting is extremely unprofessional, and so anyone who does it tends to be unprofessional generally, not just in that way. Their products and services should stand on their own merits and speak for themselves. There is no evidence that the religious are especially ethical either. So it's just irrelevant and smarmy to wear that on your shirtsleeve like it should matter to your customers somehow. And it introduces the possibility that it's some sort of con anyway.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,100,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Outside the Bible Belt the effect is inverted. No one cares what you (dis)believe, but if you put one of those fish symbols on your letterhead or vehicle, they tend to be suspicious of you. Not so much because Christians necessarily have a bad rep as such, but because shysters use it to get people's guards down. I have known Christians to use it as an excuse for poor products or service, so they can play innocent and also deal the persecution card if you get assertive with them. Those folks seem to believe it's god's will for them to be in business and for you to give them money. But ... I've also suspected at times the business owner has no particular faith practice and just uses it to con people.

Personally I think trumpeting your faith in a business setting is extremely unprofessional, and so anyone who does it tends to be unprofessional generally, not just in that way. Their products and services should stand on their own merits and speak for themselves. There is no evidence that the religious are especially ethical either. So it's just irrelevant and smarmy to wear that on your shirtsleeve like it should matter to your customers somehow. And it introduces the possibility that it's some sort of con anyway.
It's why the caduceus (the symbol for the Greco-Roman faith) became a symbol of commerce instead of just religious piety.

Think "red cross" and "caudices" used in medicine (the caduceus had magical properties of healing those comatose, putting people to sleep [for surgery?], granting immortality, etc.)

I've also noticed the Christians (Roman Catholics mostly) having more "public fairs" to raise money like the pagans had also begun to do during their own decline.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:26 PM

7,627 posts, read 6,147,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post

I've also noticed the Christians (Roman Catholics mostly) having more "public fairs" to raise money like the pagans had also begun to do during their own decline.
I have noticed that too. And I noticed that they go "all out" and have rides concerts auctions.....something to make them look fun in the public's eye. Someone who walked in and knew nothing about Catholicism would possibly say "Wow these people know how to throw a good party"

As I mentioned, I am not at a point in life where I need social validation that many seek on Sundays. And that IS in fact what many seek on Sundays (or Saturdays if you are a door to door Jehovahs witness or Seventh Day Adventist)

I also don;t care to encounter people in real life like the one's who represent the Christian ugliness here on the forum. No reason to go out just to argue.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:44 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,393,574 times
Well, if you don't mind listening to preaching then why not? Many people go to church for the socialization; they just don't tell the members that is why they are there. I can't stand preaching, so I wouldn't be able to go, but I wish I could. Your best bet is the Methodist. Other than that there is the Unitarian Universalists who don't preach much from the pulpit. Good luck. But you might find joining a club to be easier.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:59 AM

89,046 posts, read 85,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Well, if you don't mind listening to preaching then why not? Many people go to church for the socialization; they just don't tell the members that is why they are there. I can't stand preaching, so I wouldn't be able to go, but I wish I could. Your best bet is the Methodist. Other than that there is the Unitarian Universalists who don't preach much from the pulpit. Good luck. But you might find joining a club to be easier.
That is one of the bonuses of an Episcopal Church for someone like me who grew up listening to the long, endless sermons of the Reformed Church which were based on one or two verses but went on for half an hour. The priest speaks for less than ten minutes and it's based directly on the theme of the readings.

Not sure about the Methodists and how long they take.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:55 AM

23,353 posts, read 10,647,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Yes, even to this day, many in my family will happily say out loud that they do not wish to go to a doctor who they suspect to be an atheist; or that they would never wish their future generations to attend a school outside of their religion, let alone a secular one, and even less a public one.

Of course, what they mean is that if a doctor or school system doesn't thoroughly indulge and humor their coded religious-speak and favored mythologies, they will feel existential angst and simply could not feel comfortable hanging around "such unsavoriness" in their indoctrinated aversion.

Although they don't say it, I suppose to pretend to be inclusive and welcoming, they would feel the same about religions different than theirs (especially ones that they have been programmed from various sources to distrust).
My grandkids go to Catholic school, although nobody in our family is a Catholic, but we love the school. It would be completely impossible for my grandchild to attend a public school, and that is so unfortunate when it cost an arm and a leg for a private school. It is such a shame that you can't allow your child to attend public school, so expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality