Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 10:40 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,083,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
You can. It's very empowering, actually.

"Forgiveness is not for them, it's for you" never made sense to me. You can't effectively extend forgiveness without someone receiving it. It is absolutely for them.
Upon forgiving others, a lot of people feel like "heroes of Mercy" and can socially milk such responses for the benefit of their status. People will not like something who is too hard to get along with... But you are right, most social circles accept that there are "unacceptable" extremes that don't deserve unmerited forgiveness.

The other thing is that people's general emotions affect ALL of their interactions. So then, staying angry at some far-away random can affect how much they are capable of having positive interactions with others (though this isn't a rule set in stone).

Also sometimes, people are angry at themselves and don't want to let others know... if you forgive the perp, then there is little way that you could not forgive yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 11:02 PM

63,993 posts, read 40,277,921 times
Default Compulsory love/forgiveness and the demonization of anger and hatred

True forgiveness: "Old acquaintances should be forgotten and never brought to mind."

Old 04-01-2018, 11:52 PM

15,902 posts, read 6,377,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Upon forgiving others, a lot of people feel like "heroes of Mercy" and can socially milk such responses for the benefit of their status. People will not like something who is too hard to get along with... But you are right, most social circles accept that there are "unacceptable" extremes that don't deserve unmerited forgiveness.

The other thing is that people's general emotions affect ALL of their interactions. So then, staying angry at some far-away random can affect how much they are capable of having positive interactions with others (though this isn't a rule set in stone).

Also sometimes, people are angry at themselves and don't want to let others know... if you forgive the perp, then there is little way that you could not forgive yourself.
I found that to be true. It seemed like practice to forgive others and then I was able to forgive myself for my own mistakes. Eventually, forgiveness turned into understanding.

Old 04-02-2018, 12:02 AM

22,630 posts, read 19,342,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
..."Forgiveness is not for them, it's for you" never made sense to me. You can't effectively extend forgiveness without someone receiving it. It is absolutely for them.
it never made sense to you because you don't understand what it is and how it works in terms of healing.
forgiveness IS for you, not for them.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:57 AM

16,740 posts, read 15,757,959 times
Several posts were deleted from this thread.

Somebody decided the best way to participate in a discussion in the Religion and Spirituality forum was to copy a post from the Politics and Other Controversies forum and then proceed to reply to it here. I've never seen that work out well.

Making it more difficult, the post quoting features in the forum software were not used, making it considerably more difficult for people to find the quoted posts, and a great deal more time consuming for me to figure out what had been done.

Quote posts correctly. If you don't know how, read about it here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/ If problems persist with quoting posts, report the post with the problem or ask for help via Direct Messages. Don't leave the posts with incorrectly quoted portions. A properly quoted post has a "link back" symbol after the quoted member's name so people can go back and read the quoted post in its original context.

Members participating in the Religion and Spirituality forum are assumed to have read the rules. They are posted at the top of the forum, and also at the top of most of the sub-forums. In these forums, the use of red text is reserved for moderation actions (like this post). This rule exists across City-Data, but is emphasized here because some people like to use red text when quoting some parts of Scripture.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:27 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,633,691 times
thanks mes

I still have some welts from my paddling ... but you do an ok job.

thanks for the time you spend.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:41 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,830,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
True forgiveness: "Old acquaintances should be forgotten and never brought to mind."
That's what I call forgive and forget.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:08 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,633,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it never made sense to you because you don't understand what it is and how it works in terms of healing.
forgiveness IS for you, not for them.
for both when possible?

"grace", when you accept a person for being the person they are? maybe?

Old 04-02-2018, 08:37 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,083,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I found that to be true. It seemed like practice to forgive others and then I was able to forgive myself for my own mistakes. Eventually, forgiveness turned into understanding.
And understanding is the hallmark of true acceptance.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:43 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,680,134 times
The forgiveness is for them.

Ho Oponopono
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality